Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Club Badge

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm uncomfortable about the seagull changing direction for two reasons;

1) in heraldry, individual animals normally face to the right so they can be seen as facing battle. Facing left is perceived as fleeing battle so it shows a lack of awareness to make the change that has been suggested

2) I have a tattoo with the seagull facing to the right :lolol:

In reality, we have a fantastic stadium, a good team, proper beer available, decent priced tickets. Things like kit designs and badges are transitionary so whilst I have opinions, I wont get too worked up about it

Doesn't the seagull face left at the moment? So changing direction will make it face right?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Doesn't the seagull face left at the moment? So changing direction will make it face right?

sorry i was talking from the other perspective - depends if we're talking my right or the seagulls right

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The seagull currently faces left so backwards, facing right and forwards is the new badge.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
or as I've said, in heraldic terms, facing away from battle.

speaking of which
_1795444_new_arsenal_crest_300.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Arsenal's problem was that they'd never copyrighted the Cannon so needed to swap it round to make it different enough to claim it as their new brand.

I'm uncomfortable about the seagull changing direction for two reasons;

1) in heraldry, individual animals normally face to the right so they can be seen as facing battle. Facing left is perceived as fleeing battle so it shows a lack of awareness to make the change that has been suggested

2) I have a tattoo with the seagull facing to the right :lolol:

In reality, we have a fantastic stadium, a good team, proper beer available, decent priced tickets. Things like kit designs and badges are transitionary so whilst I have opinions, I wont get too worked up about it

I can't find anything on which way the animal faces is related to whether you are fleeing battle or not, the only thing I can find is the way the animal is facing on the shield when you hold it in your left hand. From a brief read of these articles it seems that in heraldry you talk about Dexter (left) or Sinister (right) as seen by the viewer and not from the animals' perspective.

Charge (heraldry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escutcheon_%28heraldry%29#Points

So our current and previous seagull badges would indicate that the seagull would be facing forward if on a shield held in the left hand, which I suppose is not fleeing battle!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
show a bit of respect mate, he put a lot of effort into them and they were very popular with folk on here.

I wasn't being at all disrespectful, I was referring to the person who was suggesting the current badge was designed by a child, implying that he didn't like it, but not representative of everyone.

As for the new badge, I wasn't being critical of the guy who presented his ideas on here, I merely pointed out that I think the new badge is better than what he did, which is my balanced opinion, and I don't mind if others disagree. Furthermore, the new design was prepared by a professional designer who was commissioned to de the work, so one might have an expectation that is has been done well, and should be the better option.

Oh, and I'm sure the one I saw had 2 colours, predominantly White with blue detailing, then again, there could be some black I'n there, and then again, it could have been a decoy, as I explained previously.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
As someone who attended the focus group ... I can confirm that the discussion was entirely about designs produced by professional designers. The group itself came up with nothing - apart from opinions about various design elements that were put in front of us.

And Dick Knight wasn't involved at all. Tony Bloom was running the show.

What I meant by that was that it would be a selection of people like the Head of various supporters clubs e.t.c. rather than your average joe fan, I was unaware that there had been random selections from season ticket holders, my main worry is that the focus group would have comprised almost exclusively of over 60s which is certainly not representative.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Marvellous and agree wholeheartedly. Good job.

Cheers - all the work was a big effort to try and influence the club to replace the amateurish badge we've had since the Gillingham days. It worked. A few months ago Paul Camillin showed me the designs that the club have been developing for a new badge and they were very similar to mine. Paul was first class - a really decent bloke.

Whilst I believe my designs are far stronger than KSS's work, they had been given the contract to build the stadium and to rebrand the club, so there was not a lot more I could do. For the record Superphil, I'm a professional brand identity designer with twelve years experience.

Hopefully when the final design is revealed we'll all be pleased.

Many thanks for all the support from NSC on this... it's been really really appreciated and has made all the difference.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Could you do better than the effort he did below? At least he got the ball rolling. Top marks to Mayfair Seagull :thumbsup:

Marvellous. Totally agree - would look fantastic. Stripes too please - none of this faceless pinstripe nonsense.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
For the record Superphil, I'm a professional brand identity designer with twelve years experience.

Didn't know that, please don't take offence to what I said, design is an objective thing, I pointed out what my preference was. No doubting the quality of what you presented, and it's a shame the club didnt see fit to appoint a fan to do this work, especially as there are fans like you who do this sort of thing professionally.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Cheers - all the work was a big effort to try and influence the club to replace the amateurish badge we've had since the Gillingham days. It worked. A few months ago Paul Camillin showed me the designs that the club have been developing for a new badge and they were very similar to mine. Paul was first class - a really decent bloke.

Whilst I believe my designs are far stronger than KSS's work, they had been given the contract to build the stadium and to rebrand the club, so there was not a lot more I could do. For the record Superphil, I'm a professional brand identity designer with twelve years experience.

Hopefully when the final design is revealed we'll all be pleased.

Many thanks for all the support from NSC on this... it's been really really appreciated and has made all the difference.

Will it be round?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
You might have thought that the season ticket stuff would be the ideal place to start using the new badge?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You might have thought that the season ticket stuff would be the ideal place to start using the new badge?

Not really, drip feed the good news over the next few months for the build up to Falmer - far more exciting

Oct 11, 2005
London
Didn't know that, please don't take offence to what I said, design is an objective thing, I pointed out what my preference was. No doubting the quality of what you presented, and it's a shame the club didnt see fit to appoint a fan to do this work, especially as there are fans like you who do this sort of thing professionally.

Thanks, no offence taken. And I agree, it was a real shame the club didn't do that - I could have saved them a lot of money and it would have been a massive honour for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here