Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] New bathrooms

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Ha, to be fair I’ve lived in Leeds for very nearly 14 years now and it’s a great city. There’s been a huge amount of investment in the city centre and there’s an emerging tech scene second only to London in this country. It’s well connected by rail and road too, being a very short hop onto both the M1 and M62.

I find it to be a great balance of earning potential and cost of living. Doing what I do, I could probably add another 20% - 30% to my salary if I moved to London but an equivalent home in terms of size would set me back many times more even just outside the capital.

For what we paid for a four bedroom house with three bathrooms in a popular area of the city, we’d struggle to get a two bedroom flat in a half decent area of London.

I think a slightly distorted view of the North persists in the South. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve lived in places like Middlesbrough where industry has long since departed and left the place very deprived, but it’s not as if anywhere north of Watford is that way. I see Leeds as a miniature, northern London except with an absolutely shoddy public transport system.

Which area of the city do you live? I’m just being nosey, I love Leeds and was planning to move the family up there this year but everything is on ice at the moment.
For an reference point, my friends in Oakwood had their bathroom replaced last year, new free standing bath, walk in shower, new floor tiles, half wall tiles half plaster, new toilet and sink, and lovely stylish stuff, they paid £5000.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I do full bathroom refurbishments including tiling. An average bathroom should cost between £2000 - £2750 for the labour + whatever materials you choose.
Several times I've seen people mention 10/15/20k numbers and think I must be doing something wrong..?
Btw unfortunately I'm based in Brighton

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

You are doing nothing wrong.
Some people just like going to a bathroom shop with a showroom, everything priced at retail ( and above IMO ) and these places obviously have lots of overheads.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ha, to be fair I’ve lived in Leeds for very nearly 14 years now and it’s a great city. There’s been a huge amount of investment in the city centre and there’s an emerging tech scene second only to London in this country. It’s well connected by rail and road too, being a very short hop onto both the M1 and M62.

I find it to be a great balance of earning potential and cost of living. Doing what I do, I could probably add another 20% - 30% to my salary if I moved to London but an equivalent home in terms of size would set me back many times more even just outside the capital.

For what we paid for a four bedroom house with three bathrooms in a popular area of the city, we’d struggle to get a two bedroom flat in a half decent area of London.

I think a slightly distorted view of the North persists in the South. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve lived in places like Middlesbrough where industry has long since departed and left the place very deprived, but it’s not as if anywhere north of Watford is that way. I see Leeds as a miniature, northern London except with an absolutely shoddy public transport system.

Whatever you do, in that neck of the woods, you owe it to yourself to get a Ben White Albion shirt next season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do full bathroom refurbishments including tiling. An average bathroom should cost between £2000 - £2750 for the labour + whatever materials you choose.
Several times I've seen people mention 10/15/20k numbers and think I must be doing something wrong..?
Btw unfortunately I'm based in Brighton

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I've had nothing but bad experience with plumbers over the years . . . .I found crap dumped under floor boards only a few months ago . . . . We did the bathroom in 2004. we're just about to re-do our bathroom. Including an old Art deco suite . . . .Need a new wet room/shower and retiling . . . . Not a hugely difficult job But requires someone sympathetic as well as competent. . .. .

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Do you shit money or something? £10-20k?!

For comparison up here in NW London we recently had kitchen and loft extension with en suite the same size as existing main bathroom and went down the supply and fit route with the builder.

We used his account as others have suggested and for £3,500 got top spec fittings for toilet, sink, rain fall multi effect built in shower, large tray, aqua dart rolla glass cubicle with flip edge, Bluetooth anti mist mirror, two additional bathroom cabinets for his and hers and a designer towel rail.

Now granted there aren’t two of everything but still that’s a ludicrous sum to suggest. Even factoring his all in labour costs and back charging them on a pro rata basis I’d still only suggest £1-1,500 labour costs max.

Bathroom show rooms with fitters etc IMO should go down as scam/fraudulent transactions with banks as they without even looking at your house it will start with five figures.

Apologies, but are you saying you had all the shower room plumbing work in your loft done for £1000 - £1500 ?
Or it cost £3500 including labour ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've had nothing but bad experience with plumbers over the years . . . .I found crap dumped under floor boards only a few months ago . . . . We did the bathroom in 2004. we're just about to re-do our bathroom. Including an old Art deco suite . . . .Need a new wet room/shower and retiling . . . . Not a hugely difficult job But requires someone sympathetic as well as competent. . .. .

You’d have thought they’d have tested the toilet they installed

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My advice - never mess with plumbing - always use a fully trained plumber . Water can wreck your house , bring your ceilings down and be expensive .

A fully tiled ( walls and floor ) bathroom average size with 3 piece suite should be around £10-20 k depending on the specification . You def don’t need to spend more than £20 k to get a decent bathroom although you can of course .

What do you wan by average size? I asked our normal plumber a few weeks ago how much it might cost to sort out our admittedly fairly small bathroom. He said somewhere around £3k.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leeds, I’m afraid.

End of thread. I have a little sick in my mouth, just because I read this far.

Seriously, though, my experience was find a good company (check their feedback), discuss what you want, and do it. We could have paid half what we paid four ours (part of an extension) but it is a bit lovely. Good luck with it :thumbsup:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Do you shit money or something? £10-20k?!

For comparison up here in NW London we recently had kitchen and loft extension with en suite the same size as existing main bathroom and went down the supply and fit route with the builder.

We used his account as others have suggested and for £3,500 got top spec fittings for toilet, sink, rain fall multi effect built in shower, large tray, aqua dart rolla glass cubicle with flip edge, Bluetooth anti mist mirror, two additional bathroom cabinets for his and hers and a designer towel rail.

Now granted there aren’t two of everything but still that’s a ludicrous sum to suggest. Even factoring his all in labour costs and back charging them on a pro rata basis I’d still only suggest £1-1,500 labour costs max.

Bathroom show rooms with fitters etc IMO should go down as scam/fraudulent transactions with banks as they without even looking at your house it will start with five figures.

WTF..? All that, installed for £1500 max? Did he throw it in from outside the house ?! That's just bonker's; Somethings are just TOO cheap. Decent bathroom, £10k plus fittings and tiles in London, in fact even in Brighton they are £7k-ish.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Now, you might say that... but can you do it ? (i mean tank the room, mitre tiling etc)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Apologies, but are you saying you had all the shower room plumbing work in your loft done for £1000 - £1500 ?
Or it cost £3500 including labour ?

I was basing the labour costs on the number of days. Took 2 guys two days in total to do first fitting and then fitting of the suite etc.

So all in bathroom roughly cost us £5k but labour costs were part of bigger build.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
WTF..? All that, installed for £1500 max? Did he throw it in from outside the house ?! That's just bonker's; Somethings are just TOO cheap. Decent bathroom, £10k plus fittings and tiles in London, in fact even in Brighton they are £7k-ish.

See my post above is it grossly wrong that amount if it took 2 guys 16/17 hours to do it from first fitting to tile grout?

Maybe I got lucky in that sense but as I said my labour estimates are exactly that based on time taken out of a much larger job.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
See my post above is it grossly wrong that amount if it took 2 guys 16/17 hours to do it from first fitting to tile grout?

Maybe I got lucky in that sense but as I said my labour estimates are exactly that based on time taken out of a much larger job.

You had the advantage of no old shit to rip out first and the new plumbing done to suit what you were going to do, you seem to not have included?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Now, you might say that... but can you do it ? (i mean tank the room, mitre tiling etc)

As an engineer, I fully understand the challenge and task. I'm equally aware of my lack of skill/talent in that particular genre

I tiled our existing bathroom/shower. . . . Didn't do enough for the shower . . . Ie not tanked or lined, and it's first floor . . . . it is 17 years old however and lasted 15 before leaking.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The programmes on the telly show them getting the whole house done for 10k and in one case that included the roof. Always wondered how they do that.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Which area of the city do you live? I’m just being nosey, I love Leeds and was planning to move the family up there this year but everything is on ice at the moment.
For an reference point, my friends in Oakwood had their bathroom replaced last year, new free standing bath, walk in shower, new floor tiles, half wall tiles half plaster, new toilet and sink, and lovely stylish stuff, they paid £5000.

The new place is in Horsforth, we’re not living there yet but we’ve spent plenty of time in that part of the city and we love it. Tricky trying to move your kids to local schools there, but that’s another conversation.

£5k per bathroom sounds about right to me. If you’re friends are happy to share the details of who installed their new bathroom for them, please PM me.

Hope you’re able to make your move up here once things normalise. It really is a great place to live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here