Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix - What's good to watch?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just started Lupin on Netflix. Once you get beyond the fact that it is dubbed from the original French its proving a good watch - mainly trying to work out which hustle / deception is happening at any one time.
Its a really good series, lots of clever twists and turns, enjoy !

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Just started Lupin on Netflix. Once you get beyond the fact that it is dubbed from the original French its proving a good watch - mainly trying to work out which hustle / deception is happening at any one time.

I couldn't watch it dubbed, the voices didn't seem right for the actors and it looked comical.

Switched to subtitles and it improved it 1000%

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's not Netflix but ITVPlayer, I thoroughly recommend " Archie " a drama about Cary Grant and how he made it to the top.... Born in poverty in Bristol he had an awful childhood but somehow rose above it to become one of the greatest male Hollywood film actors of all time. Jason Issacs absolutely excellent in the lead role. He really got the mannerisms and accent bang on. Although he had 5 marriages you feel for him and his highs and lows.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Not Netflix but the new Jack Reacher series starts on Amazon Prime tomorrow. The first three episodes I think. Can't wait.

We’ve also watched the first few episodes of the new Reacher. I’m actually quite a Reacher fan in terms of escapist reading/audiobooks, so am enjoying it — though I think the story they’ve chosen to adapt (Bad Luck and Trouble) is less compelling than the first one they treated (Killing Floor). It’s a little hammy but an easy watch.

Back to Netflix, and IMO a big step up in terms of quality, is David Fincher-directed The Killer (2023). It’s a new one-off movie starring Michael Fassbender and has a cameo from Tilda Swindon. IMO, well worth watching. Concerns the life of a hitman — admittedly well worn territory. But the opening few minutes in particular, are memorable. And it develops into a good, tight thriller. If this sounds like your bag, I recommend it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I couldn't watch it dubbed, the voices didn't seem right for the actors and it looked comical.

Why would anyone choose dubbing when you've got the option of subtitles?

I enjoyed Lupin too. Good bit of lighthearted fun.

Just finished the Night Agent, which is also worth a watch. It's a bit silly at times but entertaining. Just the thing to put on when you don't want to think too much.

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding

Just finished the Night Agent, which is also worth a watch. It's a bit silly at times but entertaining. Just the thing to put on when you don't want to think too much.

Same with Squid Games (y)

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
Just finished bodies still not sure what’s going on tbh. Steven Grahams character didn’t make any sense in parts.

I enjoyed it, but I thought the last episode and the comeuppance didn't do the series justice.

and what was the bit with the future copper at the very end in the current timeline? She hadn't aged so must have figured out time travel back from the 1800's!

Oh and the ability to heal her spine :D

Last edited:

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014

Agree with you. Lupin with subtitles is fine. Apparently, dubbing was introduced in the latest series for the first time for Lupin in an effort to attract an American audience, it seems that American TV viewers can’t be arsed with subtitles. Consequently, the dubbing has been americanised to suit. Simply doesn’t work.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This, everytime. Hearing the words spoken as they were originally intended to be heard always adds that extra dimension, irrespective of the language involved

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
Agree with you. Lupin with subtitles is fine. Apparently, dubbing was introduced in the latest series for the first time for Lupin in an effort to attract an American audience, it seems that American TV viewers can’t be arsed with subtitles. Consequently, the dubbing has been americanised to suit. Simply doesn’t work.
And it worked, I believe it’s the first French (or European non English) series to make the top 10 in the US. Shame they aren’t making any more, brilliant series, and subtitles over dubbing any day. The main actor Omar Sy has now moved with his family to the USA so a Tinseltown career awaits.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And it worked, I believe it’s the first French (or European non English) series to make the top 10 in the US. Shame they aren’t making any more, brilliant series, and subtitles over dubbing any day. The main actor Omar Sy has now moved with his family to the USA so a Tinseltown career awaits.
Did Money Heist not do anything in the states?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
WW2: from the Frontlines is an excellent series. Very much along the lines of The World at War (for those old enough to remember that classic series), but this is only a 6 parter I believe.
All the footage is colorized, which makes it seem a lot more real if that makes sense?, but also contains a huge amount of footage thats never been seen before.

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Any American Football fans will enjoy this film. The story of Kurt Warner and his rise from going undrafted, to playing Arena football while stacking shelves in a store, to Superbowl Champion and HoF inductee. Great film with a really good cast.

I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's cheesier than a Hallmark movie. Shameful omission of the Amsterdam Admirals in the film though

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Firefly lane was enjoyable. Not as good as This is us but some similar themes.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Trevor Noah's latest special on netflix is well worth it.
(Mostly) funny with some very sound political observation along the way.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Another one for American football fans 12 Mighty Orphans. Very uplifting story about how a high school coach rallies a rag tag bunch of misfits into a football powerhouse whilst developing the spread offense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here