Nearly 29,000 at Brighton yesterday, around 26500 at Leeds v Derby

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Still riles me how little coverage we get on the Football League Show - despite the fact that we are one of the best supported teams in the division. Yesterday, they didn't show (or mention) our first half dominance, or show the two Bent shots that were well saved by their keeper. Just our goal, the two Fulham goals and another Fulham near miss.

Seems to be the same every week - they never show our chances just the goals, and seem to give our matches the minimum coverage possible (I swear for other games they show the goals and a few incidents and near misses, but never with us). They also mentioned there were 3k Fulham fans there, but didn't mention the overall attendance - 29,000 is effing impressive for a team who are 4th from bottom! Sick of us getting ignored by the BBC every week.

Last edited:

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Still riles me how little coverage we get on the Football League Show - despite the fact that we are one of the best supported teams in the division. Yesterday, they didn't show (or mention) our first half dominance, or show the two Bent shots that were well saved by their keeper. Just our goal, the two Fulham goals and another Fulham near miss.

Seems to be the same every week - they never show our chances just the goals, and seem to give our matches the minimum coverage possible (I swear for other games they show the goals and a few incidents and near misses, but never with us). They also mentioned there were 3k Fulham fans there, but didn't mention the overall attendance - 29,000 is effing impressive for a team who are 4th from bottom! Sick of us getting ignored by the BBC every week.

Totally agree, also no interview with the managers. Perhaps they consider those at the bottom of the league don't warrant much coverage.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Seventh biggest attendance in the country this weekend (and 5k more than at West Brom v Arsenal) - yet we are still considered a 'small club'.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I appreciate the fact that 28,802 was incorrect, thanks for pointing it out.

However the number wasn't really that important. It was the feeling of despair, felt I'm sure by the majority when they left the ground, that I was attempting to convey.

Dispute the actual number who left disappointed by all means. The fact remains that the majority of Albion supporters left disappointed, some were even booing Sami off and this can't bode well for the future.

If the result was a one off it wouldn't be critical, but it's the fact it’s become the norm which must be of concern.

We all want to get behind the team, including Sami. But something is very wrong and the longer it takes for a miracle, (away against Derby?), to materialise, the more the criticism will grow. Match after match of that sinking feeling must be getting to many supporters. If it continues, the spiral of disbelief, felt both by the supporters and players can only increase.

I bet there are many who are already starting to wonder which league we will be in next year and what the impact on the club will be, if the unbelievable actually happens.

I left the ground yesterday feeling really quite ashamed to be a Brighton fan.

Firstly, we really didn't play very well, but secondly, and more depressingly, the fans' response to the Fulham fightback was i) to sit in stony silence and not get behind the team; ii) to leave early in droves despite us still being in with a shout of a result; iii) half those who remained to the final whistle booed the team off.

I know the arguments, "I've paid my money I can boo/leave early/not sing if I want to...etc". The team were poor, and frustrating, no doubt. But hang on, as the Fulham fans demonstrated, passionate support can help. And I happen to believe that if things are grim, well we're still all in it together. That's what being a fan means.

Think about it, if everyone to do with the club (fans, players, management, club officials) responded to us dropping into the bottom 3 as some on here have done: "that's it we're doomed, we're down" that it would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've seen a few desperate Brighton teams. The Pat Saward team of 72/73 that didn't win for 28 matches (or whatever it was). Jimmy Case's shambles of a team, distracted by the Belotti shenanigans. Craig Maskell being the best striker we had. Losing to 10 man Gillingham when they had a half-pint fullback in goal. The dreadful days at Gillingham. Mickey Adams Mk II team unable to beat 9 men. But I'm not sure I can recall such a spineless reaction from the fans. We should hang our heads.

PG

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Seventh biggest attendance in the country this weekend (and 5k more than at West Brom v Arsenal) - yet we are still considered a 'small club'.

It's nothing to do with the size of crowds , it's mainly down to league positions and wether it's a free scoring game . We are generally on late on motd and get very little coverage that's how it is .

Threeagles

Dec 1, 2012
Seen lots of comments and feel at tad harsh on Palace given the history suggests our support has been greater and we will ALWAYS have the biggest ever crowd at a match.

One final comment would be that your crowds will be very interesting when the season ticket deals come to an end and the fans are asked to renew their faith, I think a drop will start to happen unless you start to improve or another cheap deal is on the table as the new ground euphoria has gone now and there are quite a few plastics at your club....

albionite

May 20, 2009
G
Seen lots of comments and feel at tad harsh on Palace given the history suggests our support has been greater and we will ALWAYS have the biggest ever crowd at a match.

One final comment would be that your crowds will be very interesting when the season ticket deals come to an end and the fans are asked to renew their faith, I think a drop will start to happen unless you start to improve or another cheap deal is on the table as the new ground euphoria has gone now and there are quite a few plastics at your club....

What cheap deal, must of missed those. Another palace bellend talking shit shocker

Feb 14, 2010

Yes, it is down to lack of success on the pitch over the generations. Brighton have a huge support despite the players on the pitch and not (unlike many clubs) because of the players. If we ever did get a half decent side that finished top half of the top flight then that would be interesting. As for the press, well, that's the press, they love a lazy cliche and they never have understood the Albion. The reason being that the players have not given them a reason to. Someone should point out to the BBC the level of the support this club is lucky enough to have and ask them how many other clubs they could name would have 29000 for a championship relegation scrap in December. When they have made the list, they might think it worth a comment.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

There's never been a cheap deal. The Direct Debit arrangement helps, but that's not going to 'come to an end'. But yes, the support is 'soft' in marketing terms. To go from 8k to 25k in 3 years, it's inevitable that the novelty will wear off for some.

PG

Feb 14, 2010
There's never been a cheap deal. The Direct Debit arrangement helps, but that's not going to 'come to an end'. But yes, the support is 'soft' in marketing terms. To go from 8k to 25k in 3 years, it's inevitable that the novelty will wear off for some.

No mate we didnt go from 8K to 30K in a few years. We had 25,000 30,000 in the 50's,60s, 70s despite lower league football, but then there was the 80s, then decline, then loss of Goldstone ect. The Amex just put things back to where the were. Novelty makes me laugh, palace were saying 1st season bump, then 2nd season novelty, 3rd season novelty and despite a failing side, still there is 29000. When the press will cotton on is however another issue.

Jan 30, 2008

No mate we didnt go from 8K to 30K in a few years. We had 25,000 30,000 in the 50's,60s, 70s despite lower league football, but then there was the 80s, then decline, then loss of Goldstone ect. The Amex just put things back to where the were. Novelty makes me laugh, palace were saying 1st season bump, then 2nd season novelty, 3rd season novelty and despite a failing side, still there is 29000. When the press will cotton on is however another issue.
Anthing new to say:whistle:
regards
DR

Crenol

Jan 22, 2012
Out of interest - do you think the excitement of being in a division that teams aren't used to being in has any effect? As in the Premier League increase in fans for Palace might be similar to an increase that Brighton get from the Championship? (Obviously the new stadium effect makes comparisons quite tricky).

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

We don't do cheap deals unlike most clubs and we charge £32-£42 for a Matchday ticket,that's prem prices.The ST prices just keep rising amongst other things and we get dirt cheap shite players in return.

You'd know about plastics as you found 8k of them once you got promoted...Our so called plastics you talk about are watching championship football and a relegation battle to boot....That's not plastic pal as plastics are the ones that turn up once you hit the prem and bugger off when you're in the championship.

The chances of palace getting 29k at the bottom of the championship are zero:D

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

PG
8k to 27k actually:lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I left the ground yesterday feeling really quite ashamed to be a Brighton fan.

Firstly, we really didn't play very well, but secondly, and more depressingly, the fans' response to the Fulham fightback was i) to sit in stony silence and not get behind the team; ii) to leave early in droves despite us still being in with a shout of a result; iii) half those who remained to the final whistle booed the team off.

PG
It goes with the territory of Brighton having 29,000 at a mid-season relegation match.

We are coming up to an anniversary of the famous Darlington match at The Goldstone. (Like you probably) I felt "proud" to be one of the 2,000 or so at that game, and to be part of the mob that gathered behind the West Stand and lit fires in Old Shoreham Road, but I wouldn't swap our circumstances then for now.

ps it is also quite "harsh" on the revived Albion fans that do fill The Amex... give us something to cheer in terms of performance or results and we will be fine - when the £500K a year (?) manager shows no passion why should the crowd?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It goes with the territory of Brighton having 29,000 at a mid-season relegation match.

We are coming up to an anniversary of the famous Darlington match at The Goldstone. (Like you probably) I felt "proud" to be one of the 2,000 or so at that game, and to be part of the mob that gathered behind the West Stand and lit fires in Old Shoreham Road, but I wouldn't swap our circumstances then for now.

ps it is also quite "harsh" on the revived Albion fans that do fill The Amex... give us something to cheer in terms of performance or results and we will be fine - when the £500K a year (?) manager shows no passion why should the crowd?

As you demonstrate, sometimes the crowd has to take the initiative and generate a positive response. In 96, getting rid of Belotti (and to be honest, Jimmy Case who was not up to it for various reasons) was a positive response. I'm not defending Sami, but we are not in that situation now. A positive response would have been getting behind the team and maybe helping instil enough belief to rescue a point on Saturday.

PG

ps I confess that Darlington game was the one home game that season I just couldn't face going to. But you should be 'proud' that you stuck it out at the nadir.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
As you demonstrate, sometimes the crowd has to take the initiative and generate a positive response. In 96, getting rid of Belotti (and to be honest, Jimmy Case who was not up to it for various reasons) was a positive response. I'm not defending Sami, but we are not in that situation now. A positive response would have been getting behind the team and maybe helping instil enough belief to rescue a point on Saturday.
I agree. I couldn't believe it when the 4 minutes of added time were announced and there was literally not a flicker of a response from the crowd. Normally that is the cue for a clichéd "roar" of encouragement from even the least vocal of supporters, but there was nothing on Saturday...

It makes for conversation on NSC but the issues really are crystal clear.

Of the 25,000 Albion fans at The Amex on Saturday probably only about 1,000 are the type to noisily get behind the team regardless.
100 or so congregate in the NW corner and the rest are spread out around the stadium.
The run of poor home performances that goes back more than a year now has eroded collective positivity.
It would all be great again with some decent performances and victories.
Our fans are very similar to lots of others around the country regarding the above (although lots of clubs don't get anything like as many through the gate).

So, whilst I know where you are coming from, there is no need to feel "ashamed". I'd suggest that "gutted" and "frustrated" are more appropriate emotions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports