Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nearly 29,000 at Brighton yesterday, around 26500 at Leeds v Derby

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Make the most of it , we will lose a very large number of season ticket holders next season and gates will plummet, if we carry on like we are now.

It is going to be just as easy to lose season ticket holders as it was to get them, not sure the club realise this yet. What is on offer is not going to make 20k plus renew, I guarantee it, Albion fans are amongst the most fickle in the country.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
One of the participants of the BATTLE OF BRITAIN circa 20 years ago got 15k today. At home to Kilmarnock.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
:smile::smile:

btw - I haven't said anything - just posted 'facts'. Keep up the good work though :)

btw2 - let me know if you want me to extend the graph further back so we can see when you had massive support !

Jez, WCP is one of your fellow Palace fans who thinks he is on a hilarious wind up.

Feb 14, 2010
Jez, WCP is one of your fellow Palace fans who thinks he is on a hilarious wind up.

Instead of saying things you know are untrue, why don't you celebrate the albions support. 29000 for a championship relegation scrap, and icy gull calls that fickle! God knows what he would call other clubs! Really el p open your eyes, if only we had a team to match the support. I know it hurts el p but go on praise the support for once.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
But the "biggest game of the day" according to the BBC with two "giants" was of course Leeds. Much bigger club Leeds and Derby, its just they get smaller crowds despite being higher in the table :bowdown::bowdown: to the Albion faithful.

If only bigger crowds won more points but sadly they don't so your point is ????

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
to be fair the commentator did actually say 'two giants in the 70's' which of course they was

both winning the football league,leeds appeared in the european cup final and derby reached the semis

who can forget hunter & lee going toe to toe

Feb 14, 2010
If only bigger crowds won more points but sadly they don't so your point is ????

Point is that if it were any other club but Brighton, say Sunderland or Leeds for example who managed to pull a 29000 crowd for a Championship relegation scrap in November then the press would be on and on and on and on about what wonderful loyal fans they have. But as its Brighton, well as usual, not a peep from the press.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Point is that if it were any other club but Brighton, say Sunderland or Leeds for example who managed to pull a 29000 crowd for a Championship relegation scrap in November then the press would be on and on and on and on about what wonderful loyal fans they have. But as its Brighton, well as usual, not a peep from the press.

Yeah I agree with the press thing as we don't even get a pre-match mention most weeks ... Maybe we are charging them for their prawn sarnies and coffee's

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Instead of saying things you know are untrue, why don't you celebrate the albions support. 29000 for a championship relegation scrap, and icy gull calls that fickle! God knows what he would call other clubs! Really el p open your eyes, if only we had a team to match the support. I know it hurts el p but go on praise the support for once.

No, I said make the most of it, our crowds will be much lower next season if Hyypia is still here. Maybe half what we got yesterday would be my prediction. This year we have season ticket holders who bought tickets expecting us to be competitive, not propping up the division. The fans will desert in droves and the let's see how great our support is. I stand by the fickle statement. We all expected better yesterday with the signing of Bent, hence the big crowd. Fulham's first visit certainly boosted the crowd big time.

Feb 14, 2010
Yeah I agree with the press thing as we don't even get a pre-match mention most weeks ... Maybe we are charging them for their prawn sarnies and coffee's

Could be! I think its because the team has pretty much always been rubbish and so we are off their radar. Its also a great press cliche that uses up some air time to talk about the football hotbed of Sunderland or the giants that are Leeds. Its more an inconvenient fact that Brighton have a big support, they are not sure what to do with it. I wonder what the BBC would say for themselves about it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could be! I think its because the team has pretty much always been rubbish and so we are off their radar. Its also a great press cliche that uses up some air time to talk about the football hotbed of Sunderland or the giants that are Leeds. Its more an inconvenient fact that Brighton have a big support, they are not sure what to do with it. I wonder what the BBC would say for themselves about it.

Is this the big support that failed to ever get 30,000 in the top flight, and attendances had dipped to less than 10,000 at home and less than a 100 at away matches by 1982/3?

Feb 14, 2010
Is this the big support that failed to ever get 30,000 in the top flight, and attendances had dipped to less than 10,000 at home and less than a 100 at away matches by 1982/3?

Bu did get over 30,000 in the third division and in the second division and take very large away following to many places, including over 3000 to places like Chesterfield. El P really, have a look at attendances of all clubs in the 1980's. Newcastle getting 9500 for Oxford at home, Arsenal down to 18000 at times, I know it hurts you but really you can praise the Albiions support it really wont hurt. 29000 for a Championship relegation scrap, not bad eh but as usual not a peep from the press. Meanwhile the press drool over Leeds v Derby have a few thousand less.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Yes that was weird but then football in general was at a nadir in terms of quality, violence, condition of grounds, the awful fencing you had to look through and the fact there was an ACTUAL recession rather than a media hyped recession. I think inevitably crowds will drop a bit unless form improves so it's best not to boast about attendances.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
:smile::smile:

btw - I haven't said anything - just posted 'facts'. Keep up the good work though :)

btw2 - let me know if you want me to extend the graph further back so we can see when you had massive support !

You are well educated and obviously had a good English teacher as the word "facts" has quotation marks around it.

BHA and CP were both well supported in the 70s for what it's worth.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No, I said make the most of it, our crowds will be much lower next season if Hyypia is still here. Maybe half what we got yesterday would be my prediction. This year we have season ticket holders who bought tickets expecting us to be competitive, not propping up the division. The fans will desert in droves and the let's see how great our support is. I stand by the fickle statement. We all expected better yesterday with the signing of Bent, hence the big crowd. Fulham's first visit certainly boosted the crowd big time.

This and make no mistake its always been implied (and occasionally explicity eg PLR) that we are expectig to be at the top end of the table.

Well done all those who kept sami in a job.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
That would mean the crowd was nearly 32k then

I appreciate the fact that 28,802 was incorrect, thanks for pointing it out.

However the number wasn't really that important. It was the feeling of despair, felt I'm sure by the majority when they left the ground, that I was attempting to convey.

Dispute the actual number who left disappointed by all means. The fact remains that the majority of Albion supporters left disappointed, some were even booing Sami off and this can't bode well for the future.

If the result was a one off it wouldn't be critical, but it's the fact it’s become the norm which must be of concern.

We all want to get behind the team, including Sami. But something is very wrong and the longer it takes for a miracle, (away against Derby?), to materialise, the more the criticism will grow. Match after match of that sinking feeling must be getting to many supporters. If it continues, the spiral of disbelief, felt both by the supporters and players can only increase.

I bet there are many who are already starting to wonder which league we will be in next year and what the impact on the club will be, if the unbelievable actually happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here