Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nearly 29,000 at Brighton yesterday, around 26500 at Leeds v Derby

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Seen lots of comments and feel at tad harsh on Palace given the history suggests our support has been greater and we will ALWAYS have the biggest ever crowd at a match.

One final comment would be that your crowds will be very interesting when the season ticket deals come to an end and the fans are asked to renew their faith, I think a drop will start to happen unless you start to improve or another cheap deal is on the table as the new ground euphoria has gone now and there are quite a few plastics at your club....
well if it's a competition for losing fans over the decades, you're well ahead of us

detsknil

Sep 23, 2011
Hanover, East Sussex
Instead of saying things you know are untrue, why don't you celebrate the albions support. 29000 for a championship relegation scrap, and icy gull calls that fickle! God knows what he would call other clubs! Really el p open your eyes, if only we had a team to match the support. I know it hurts el p but go on praise the support for once.

Am I missing something, 3000 of those were Fulham, so to say celebrate having 29000 in support of the Albion is a little wide of the mark, surely it was only 26000 (rounding figures btw).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I agree. I couldn't believe it when the 4 minutes of added time were announced and there was literally not a flicker of a response from the crowd. Normally that is the cue for a clichéd "roar" of encouragement from even the least vocal of supporters, but there was nothing on Saturday...

It makes for conversation on NSC but the issues really are crystal clear.

Of the 25,000 Albion fans at The Amex on Saturday probably only about 1,000 are the type to noisily get behind the team regardless.
100 or so congregate in the NW corner and the rest are spread out around the stadium.
The run of poor home performances that goes back more than a year now has eroded collective positivity.
It would all be great again with some decent performances and victories.
Our fans are very similar to lots of others around the country regarding the above (although lots of clubs don't get anything like as many through the gate).

So, whilst I know where you are coming from, there is no need to feel "ashamed". I'd suggest that "gutted" and "frustrated" are more appropriate emotions.

Moshe, we are of similar mind. Agree that we get a lot more fans through the gate. Unfortunately, based almost entirely on my TV football watching, we also get a lot more who will clear off early when the team need them. That does make me ashamed. The game that sticks in my mind by contrast is Leeds away in 1982. We led 1-0 and Leeds were relegated 'in running', but their fans refused to accept it and made a fearful racket, they won 2-1 (and survived another 4 days until West Brom, sent them down, as it happens).

I shall be there for the U21 game tonight. Keep The Faith.

PG

SDG

May 26, 2014
There's never been a cheap deal. The Direct Debit arrangement helps, but that's not going to 'come to an end'. But yes, the support is 'soft' in marketing terms. To go from 8k to 25k in 3 years, it's inevitable that the novelty will wear off for some.

No mate we didnt go from 8K to 30K in a few years. We had 25,000 30,000 in the 50's,60s, 70s despite lower league football, but then there was the 80s, then decline, then loss of Goldstone ect. The Amex just put things back to where the were. Novelty makes me laugh, palace were saying 1st season bump, then 2nd season novelty, 3rd season novelty and despite a failing side, still there is 29000. When the press will cotton on is however another issue.

This 25,000, 30,000 thing.... I think I'm correct in suggesting that prior to 2011, there had only been 3 years where the average attendance was above 22,000. And in fact, only one year was above 25,000? Anyone can point to fluctuations in crowd for single games and spout ridiculous numbers, but it doesn't hide the fact that 28 is the key number right now between the 2 teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here