Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Odds drifting on us signing Maupay!
I hope we are not Mauping around whilst others are being active. I reckon GP is going to wait till January and give youth a chance as well as the bodies we already have. Could be costly!!!

Odds still suggest it's between us and Villa and with them having already spent £100m+ can they afford another £20m on Maupay?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I hope we are not Mauping around whilst others are being active. I reckon GP is going to wait till January and give youth a chance as well as the bodies we already have. Could be costly!!!

Dont think that will be his choice, If that happened we could be down by Jan and then as TB has stated on numerous occasions he doesnt like doing business in Jan as poor value..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Both, he's played no.10, lone striker, in a pair. For Brentford, Thomas Frank had them playing much like we might expect Potter will; high collective press, fast on the break, good possession of the ball with Maupay the focus of their attacks.

Two elements of caution on this guy.

1. A good chunk of his goals were ‘scrappy in the box numbers’ against clubs in the bottom half; the majority of these seem to come from woeful defending. In the Premier League, defenders are ‘in the right place at the right time’ as well as strikers. He’ll get very very few gifts. Can he score different sorts of goals?

2. Against the better Championship clubs, he seemed to be scoring on the break a lot. Will he have the top level pace to shake off the faster Premier League players?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Very costly... the downside of relegation is financially enormous...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

1. A good chunk of his goals were ‘scrappy in the box numbers’ against clubs in the bottom half; the majority of these seem to come from woeful defending. In the Premier League, defenders are ‘in the right place at the right time’ as well as strikers. He’ll get very very few gifts. Can he score different sorts of goals?

2. Against the better Championship clubs, he seemed to be scoring on the break a lot. Will he have the top level pace to shake off the faster Premier League players?

Exactly the same could have been said about Callum Wilson to be fair.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017

Hoping the recruitment team have also noticed this set of worrying stats.

:bowdown:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hoping the recruitment team have also noticed this set of worrying stats.

:bowdown:

I'd imagine they just take a look at the goals tally on wiki before checking out the wag on Insta. Then it's just a quick scan of the Fifa stats, maybe a youtube vid if time allows, before tabling a bid.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If we’re going to bid, then just bid... why wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If we’re going to bid, then just bid... why wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the public (mainly fuelled by the way the media report transfer deals) still have a perception that the first point of contact between clubs/players/agents is the buying club making an bid. All the time no bid has actually been reported, the fans are left thinking "why aren't we bidding for him!".

It's well worth reading the Secret Footballer's book to get just an idea of the nonsense that goes on way before an 'official' bid even goes in. What we would see as 'tapping up' is basically constant in 99% of deals.

Bids are slow to materialise, especially as clubs don't just pay lump sums any more. These deals are structured over several seasons with a lot of discussion back and forth prior to the 'bid' even going in.

Then we add into the mix agents for the clubs, agents for the players.......

Also, consider Maupay may well not be first choice. We may well be trying to get to bidding stage on another deal first.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've just spoken to a Brentford supporting mate who is a season ticket holder. Apparently Brentford had a behind closed doors match against Norwich last night (won 3-1 too) and Maupay wasn't playing. Their manager suggested that the starting line up was more or less what Brentford supporters could expect for the coming season. The speculation among their support seems to be that if we can go to £20 million he'll be released, regardless of any bad blood between the two chairmen. Money talks, after all.

I'm hoping that the movements out on loan are clearing the way for at least one more foray into the transfer market. Personally, I'd quite like this one but what do I know? It's easy to be enthusiastic when it's somebody else's money.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I’d rather bring in Ollie Watkins tbh :shrug:

Not that this line on thought adds anything to the discussion :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here