Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay *** SIGNED from Brentford - 4 year deal - undisclosed fee ***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I must admit when somebody quotes these sort of figures I remember the hype 5 years ago when we signed a striker who had scored 15 goals for a poor relegated Barnsley team

But isn’t it harder to score in a poorer team?

I know this theory worked well with O’Grady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well as there is no chance of us signing a proven PL goal scorer anybody we sign will be a risk

I'll take 25 goals in the championship as a smaller risk than top scoring in the Dutch or Belgium leagues every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He's been playing professional first team football since he was 16. He's only 22, but he has 6 years graft behind him scoring goals in Ligue 1, Ligue 2 and the championship. 28 goals last season in total in a side that finished midtable - impressive. He's also capable of dropping into midfield or out wide, which may suit Potter's flexible approach.

I'd be delighted to get him in, and keep a bit of gallic influence in the side. :thumbsup:

Agreed, excellent post. Hope we can get this one over the line.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He's been playing professional first team football since he was 16. He's only 22, but he has 6 years graft behind him scoring goals in Ligue 1, Ligue 2 and the championship. 28 goals last season in total in a side that finished midtable - impressive. He's also capable of dropping into midfield or out wide, which may suit Potter's flexible approach.

I'd be delighted to get him in, and keep a bit of gallic influence in the side. :thumbsup:

Couple of lines in todays Argus about people close to Maupay thinking we'd be a good fit. Sounds encouraging, lets hope somethings happening on this one, i like what i've seen of him.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Couple of lines in todays Argus about people close to Maupay thinking we'd be a good fit. Sounds encouraging, lets hope somethings happening on this one, i like what i've seen of him.

Haven't weighed on this until now but Ive been keeping on eye on Maupay. FM brought him to my interest but some Turkish teams were also tracking him until recently.

Considering his age he seems to have agreat future head of him but he is as mentally brittle as Andone. He's a confidence player. When he's confident he can score for fun but when it's not going his way it can go downhill. Known for having droughts.

Another thing I believe I read he is 'gallic' in temperament... Another Knockaert?

Personally of the up and coming I'd take a punt. How good a man manager is Potter though?

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin

Bear with me, I've done basic research on him; so is he the kind of striker to play along side another, or is he industrious and works hard as a lone striker?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bear with me, I've done basic research on him; so is he the kind of striker to play along side another, or is he industrious and works hard as a lone striker?

Both, he's played no.10, lone striker, in a pair. For Brentford, Thomas Frank had them playing much like we might expect Potter will; high collective press, fast on the break, good possession of the ball with Maupay the focus of their attacks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Glenn Murray Icy.

Hmm, he was hardly proven as Palace and Bournemouth couldn’t believe their luck in moving him on. Anyway he was hardly a punt as we knew what he was capable of even if the club and Poyet didn’t. Not giving you that one :smile:

He is of course absolutely PL quality though and never a risk imo :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Love the way we are building him up, if he was off to another club he would be bang average and not worth the fee :lolol:

If he is off to another club it is because we simply can't compete on wages being offered. Simple as that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If he is off to another club it is because we simply can't compete on wages being offered. Simple as that.

Or he wants to play for the manager who gave him a break who now manages a team that are much bigger than the Albion

Maybe the Brentford boss is also resisting letting a player go to Bloom’s Albion.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Haven't weighed on this until now but Ive been keeping on eye on Maupay. FM brought him to my interest but some Turkish teams were also tracking him until recently.

Considering his age he seems to have agreat future head of him but he is as mentally brittle as Andone. He's a confidence player. When he's confident he can score for fun but when it's not going his way it can go downhill. Known for having droughts.

Another thing I believe I read he is 'gallic' in temperament... Another Knockaert?

Personally of the up and coming I'd take a punt. How good a man manager is Potter though?

We will have to wait and see on Potter but interesting comments on Maupay

Conelli98

Dec 18, 2016
Odds drifting on us signing Maupay!
I hope we are not Mauping around whilst others are being active. I reckon GP is going to wait till January and give youth a chance as well as the bodies we already have. Could be costly!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here