Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I’ll be very sad to see him go.

He’s been my favourite current player for a few years now, due to work rate and shithousery.
And you just can’t beat FRENCH shithousery.

Seems like a genuinely nice guy too.

But, if I were in his shoes, I’d go.
Starting most games, more opportunities for goals, and playing/living in Salerno.
Bring me with you Neal.

And there in lies the problem. Ignoring the clueless posters on here, how are we going to replace the fact that he is not only consistently our top scorer but also contributes so much more to the team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
And there in lies the problem. Ignoring the clueless posters on here, how are we going to replace the fact that he is not only consistently our top scorer but also contributes so much more to the team?

I'm not sure, but you'd like to think that the recruitment team must've at least vaguely worked out how that's gonna happen before we sell him

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course. Hope you’re willing to put up the HUGE fee required to get the mythological and rare replacement?

In TB's pathetically over-touted algorithm we are being asked to place blind trust in. As opposed to evidence of own eyes. Know which I'd have far more faith in

Last edited:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
In TB's pathetically over-touted algorithm we are being asked to trust. Else evidence of own eyes :thumbsup:

And how long did it take them to sign the striker we needed last time? Was it two or three years? And then only from our sister club. The algorithm works brilliantly for all positions except striker.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I love Neal Maupay and think he is a good player but I'd miss his whole vibe and personality more than the player tbh. Even though he has been good in each season, I'm not quite sure the club feels he has developed as much as the club hoped he would do, and that there might be a desire to give another player (like Undav) a real chance to do better in his role.

That said, I'd keep him. I'd always keep him - but it might not be in his or the clubs best interests.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
The club had better have another player lined up.

Welbeck misses.more than Maupay.
The rest are untried.
We'll be in the 6th season of 'the midfield should be contributing more than 1 (one) goal'.
&
'That was a free header'. 'well statistically corners shouldn't be celebrated'.

With the added bonus of Sanchez passing to the opposition stood next to him.

At least we have Mac Allister who scores a few.

Trossard has been getting more goals recently along with Mwepu.

Enciso, Mitoma and Undav could add some goals.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I love Neal Maupay and think he is a good player but I'd miss his whole vibe and personality more than the player tbh. Even though he has been good in each season, I'm not quite sure the club feels he has developed as much as the club hoped he would do, and that there might be a desire to give another player (like Undav) a real chance to do better in his role.

That said, I'd keep him. I'd always keep him - but it might not be in his or the clubs best interests.

I agree with all of that Swanny

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

The key sentence is the last one. The key word is could. A word that can be applied to Undav and his goal contribution in the uncharted Prem.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Well therein lies our problems, like I keep saying not enough of our other players score.

If Welbeck is going to be our main striker , which appears to be the case he needs to at least have his best ever season, which is 9 goals at Man Utd. And hope Undav, Mitoma can score more than a handful each just to standstill. Big ask as I’m not convinced the Belgian league is that good ? Given we’ve had proven Dutch league goal scorers recently to…

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And there in lies the problem. Ignoring the clueless posters on here how are we going to replace the fact that he is not only consistently our top scorer but also contributes so much more to the team?

Would that be posters that just happen to have an opinion different to your own opinion by any chance? :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well therein lies our problems, like I keep saying not enough of our other players score.

If Welbeck is going to be our main striker , which appears to be the case he needs to at least have his best ever season, which is 9 goals at Man Utd. And hope Undav, Mitoma can score more than a handful each just to standstill. Big ask as I’m not convinced the Belgian league is that good ? Given we’ve had proven Dutch league goal scorers recently to…

Don't worry though - they'll always be next season, I'm sure the squad will find goals then! : facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't worry though - they'll always be next season, I'm sure the squad will find goals then! : facepalm:

Or Welbeck scores 15, his contract expires and has a big offer elsewhere and back to square one [emoji41]

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
And how long did it take them to sign the striker we needed last time? Was it two or three years? And then only from our sister club. The algorithm works brilliantly for all positions except striker.

Why then did we then try to sign Darwin Nunez over several transfer windows? Nothing wrong with the algorithm. Its all about trying to get better strikers agreeing to sign for non Champions League Brighton.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If we did not have such a patchy record recruiting decent strikers then I might not feel quite so nervous about shifting on our top goal scorer but selling Maupay means we are taking goals out of the team at a time we need to be adding them in. Maybe one of the unproven players signed into the squad might step up and make the difference but that feels like a risky strategy to me.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
In TB's pathetically over-touted algorithm we are being asked to trust. Else evidence of own eyes is quite sufficient, same as it always was :thumbsup:

So, waiting until we’ve tested the theory and proved the data/hypothesis correct would be sensible, would it not?

I mean, we’d look bloody silly if we waved Maupay goodbye, Welbeck got injured, and it turned out that TB’s data based recruitment wasn’t quite the thing when it came to strikers. TB was using his data when we signed Locadia and Andone after all.

Whisper it, but databases aren’t everything. I’m sure each failure refines the criteria for the next attempt, but while we may not make the same mistake again, there’s nothing to stop us making different mistakes.

If Maupay has had enough then absolutely he can go, but why not in January when we’re certain we’ve got replacements that can do the job, and he will go (on my part) with the feeling we didn’t universally quite give him quite the respect he deserved.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So, waiting until we’ve tested the theory and proved the data/hypothesis correct would be sensible, would it not?

I mean, we’d look bloody silly if we waved Maupay goodbye, Welbeck got injured, and it turned out that TB’s data based recruitment wasn’t quite the thing when it came to strikers. TB was using his data when we signed Locadia and Andone after all.

Whisper it, but databases aren’t everything. I’m sure each failure refines the criteria for the next attempt, but while we may not make the same mistake again, there’s nothing to stop us making different mistakes.

If Maupay has had enough then absolutely he can go, but why not in January when we’re certain we’ve got replacements that can do the job, and he will go (on my part) with the feeling we didn’t universally quite give him quite the respect he deserved.

Would be more than happy with Undav and - yes! - Andone leading the line for the first half of the season. Who knows, maybe Arctic Benny might just accidentally stumble upon a winning combo up front

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
This is all up to Maupay now.

An offer has been made to go to Serie A and with only 1 year left with us and no sign of an extended contract, he may well prefer a move and a guaranteed longer deal elsewhere.

I for one wouldn't blame him at all. As long as the money recouped for him was put towards another striker then I'd be ok with that. Maybe take the £15m and put it towards an offer for Brereton Diaz?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The current problem, is that Maupay doesn't enjoy being out of the starting eleven,
While many other players obviously share the same view, they keep quiet and don't do silly things.

The latest clever ploy from Maupay was just standing still, and not joining in the knock about with the other subs on Saturday.

Not the way I would suggest to force yourself back into the starting eleven. (I assume he puts the effort in during training).

Silly antics that will no doubt get him frozen out, and a move more likely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

The current problem, is that Maupay doesn't enjoy being out of the starting eleven,
While many other players obviously share the same view, they keep quiet and don't do silly things.

The latest clever ploy from Maupay was just standing still, and not joining in the knock about with the other subs on Saturday.

Not the way I would suggest to force yourself back into the starting eleven. (I assume he puts the effort in during training).

Silly antics that will no doubt get him frozen out, and a move more likely.

If his ‘attitude’ is a problem, why’s Ferguson not being given more minutes than him in pre season ? Bit like when Sanchez replaced Ryan, Ryan disappeared completely ? And Maupay actually started the last friendly … and scored after 2 minutes ?

Is this turning into booing Ashley Barnes / Glenn Murray didn’t clap the fans all over again ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here