Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Wherever he ends up, I'll really wish him the best and he'll remain one of my favorite players in modern football.

If he goes, and I think he will, I wish him well. Just wish we had moved to get a better model earlier.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I do feel that he’s been out of the team for a couple of games, and people are queuing up to wave him goodbye.

As others have pointed out, he’s our top scorer, he doesn’t give up, and for all Warren’s vitriol on the Radio Sussex commentary (which I suspect is the source of some of this attitude problem talk) he doesn’t sulk on the pitch.

I think (to paraphrase Debbie Alli from Athletico Mince) that he’s hurting from not being involved, and hopefully he has it in him to come back stronger. I’d hate to lose him, and even if his game time is reduced, I want him in the squad.

He should be hitting his peak around now, a bit of time out to reflect on what he needs to do to improve further and get back in the team may not be a bad thing. I want us to reap the benefit of that. Our new lad/loan army may come good, but I’d caution being careful what you wish for, a bad start to next season in a Maupay-less team is going to bring a chorus of “why did we let our one semi-reliable goalscorer go?”

I’m glad the rest of the team have stepped up a level, and the bar has been raised, but we’re weaker without having him as an option in the squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have a look at the number of goals scored by central strikers this season: https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/2...erStatistics/England-Premier-League-2021-2022

Ronaldo, Kane, Toney, Jota, Pukki, Vardy, then Maupay and Watkins level with each other. Not all teams always play with a central striker, but these stats list 63 players who have played in that position at least once this season and Maupay has more goals than 55 of them. Arrange them in goals per ninety minutes order and he's still in the top half. He's also renowned as a very irritating opponent for defenders.

Newcastle triggered a £25 million plus release clause for Chris Wood in January. Wood is 5 years older than Maupay, has scored less goals than him this season and in his career in the division averages a goal every 3.11 games compared to Maupay's 3.84. Look at it with an objective eye and I'd say that, although not every team outside of the top six would be starting him, he'd certainly have played for Wolves yesterday, he'd be back up to Antonio at West Ham, Brentford would take him back, Palace, Southampton, Leeds, any of the promoted sides. Until his recent spell, Arsenal fans would have swapped him for Nketiah. I've no doubt he'd have suitors and we probably wouldn't make a transfer loss on him.

Of all of our attacking players this season Maupay has the most goals, most shots, best conversion % (although worst shot accuracy, somewhat confirming he needs instinctive chances where he just hits it) and best minutes per goal. Not bad for a player all of NSC is suddenly writing off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/top-scorers

I'm with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] for a change. I like Neal as a human being and as a player who, at his best, gets our fans behind us and the opposition's fans against us. As for being a nice guy, this is a player who in proper lockdown, when there was no football at all, played video games with Albion supporting kids over Twitch.

I'd like him to stay and fight for a place against, or team up with Undav and Welbz with Connolly sent packing.

He's also exactly the sort of player who, if we sold him to a rival, would score against us in the 90th minutes to rob us of some points.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We need to add striker options to this squad not take them away. Maupay is and remains a good option for this squad and I think he will stay. Yes he gets frustrated at not playing but that is a good sign as it shows he is hungry and cannot fault his efforts on the pitch.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I for one would not be fussed if he never plays for us again,

A scorer of great goals this season, but I have lost faith in a striker that manages to do so much wrong when in front of goals. Looks like Potter has as well.

Cue his fan base that will now say he always gives 100%, harries the opposition, etc, etc. In my opinion, not good enough. We're better without

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’m glad the majority of posters on here don’t make any decisions in regards to our players.

Fickle doesn’t even begin to cover it, over the course of the season Trossard, Welbeck, Bissouma, Groß and Maupay have been deemed not required and time to move them on … even Dunk was being cast aside by a few a matter of weeks ago.

Now I know its a game of opinions but we need ALL of them as they are all important players and we wouldn’t be in such a good position without all of them.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017

A scorer of great goals this season, but I have lost faith in a striker that manages to do so much wrong when in front of goals. Looks like Potter has as well.

Cue his fan base that will now say he always gives 100%, harries the opposition, etc, etc. In my opinion, not good enough. We're better without

I mean no disrespect, but if you want a striker who always makes the right decision, whose touch is always perfect and who converts every opportunity, then would you perhaps be happier reading Roy of the Rovers? (Even then you may find Roy Race frustratingly erratic)

In reality, strikers are human, we are not at the top of the food chain when it comes to attracting “finished article” strikers, and even if we were to luck into finding one that the rest of the world had missed, we’d be able to hold onto them for a season, maybe two at an absolute push if they felt a strong affinity for the club.

Based on the evidence of the last two seasons, we have no better striker at the club. Like most of us, I’m sure you’re hoping that Deniz Undav can hit the ground running, but to wish Maupay out of the squad and out of the club seems disrespectful to a player who (when he’s on the pitch) gives his all for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I mean no disrespect, but if you want a striker who always makes the right decision, whose touch is always perfect and who converts every opportunity, then would you perhaps be happier reading Roy of the Rovers? (Even then you may find Roy Race frustratingly erratic)

In reality, strikers are human, we are not at the top of the food chain when it comes to attracting “finished article” strikers, and even if we were to luck into finding one that the rest of the world had missed, we’d be able to hold onto them for a season, maybe two at an absolute push if they felt a strong affinity for the club.

Based on the evidence of the last two seasons, we have no better striker at the club. Like most of us, I’m sure you’re hoping that Deniz Undav can hit the ground running, but to wish Maupay out of the squad and out of the club seems disrespectful to a player who (when he’s on the pitch) gives his all for us.

Recently all I've seen of Sadio Mane is him missing chances that Maupay would have got dogs abuse on here, for missing.

All you need to know about this 'duscussion' is it was top of the pops at 5pm on Saturday.
That'll be straight after:-

- The Albion won away.
- Scored 3 goals.
- All from midfielders, of which every single one at the club have underperformed in front of goal.
- are 9th (ninth) in the table.
- Have their highest points total
- Still above palace.

We are shitbouses.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Easily said when we are in a run where our last five games have yielded 3 wins, a draw and the only loss was away at probably the best club team in the world. But Maupay has had some great games for us. There is nothing to say Potter has had enough, he's just benched him because he's out of touch and we have alternatives.

I'd be interested to hear from those who'd be happy to see him go, what sort of player we should be in the market for to replace him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just to be clear, I am a big fan of Neal and his enthusiasm and charisma, I just want to see him supporting his team mates and the fans after a great result even when he’s not playing. I am NOT in the get rid camp but I feel he may find himself gone if he doesn’t get rid of what looks like the stroppy attitude, (which in fairness could also mainly frustration and disappointment in not contributing)

He has given us some awesome results with great late goals and gained us points this season and I love his post match interviews when he does.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Maupay is a player who we need to keep . Not many strikers this season have scored more than him , certainly none we could afford in terms of salary . I think the model we appear to be looking towards , is packing the midfield with strong , athletic, fast midfielders who can score so we are not so reliant on a striker . I think that’s the way to go personally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley not being happy at not being involved is a good thing?

It has to be better than pretending you're someone your not to appease people who have absolutely no idea just how supportive you are for the other 23 hours 50 minutes every single day.

Anyhoo at Wolves he got a loud rendition of his song for which he stood and applauded us.

The monster.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
For some reason my skybox recorded Monday Night Football, when I went in it had the Crystal Palace away game so I took great delight in watching the last 2 minutes again.

It made me think, I know what Neil Maupay does, he gives us some of the best memories we have had this season. His late late goals against Palace, West Ham (what a goal as well) and Southampton will be remembered for years to come.

Great memories and long may he stay with us.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Potter knows exactly what he's doing with Neal.
Unfortunately for Neal. Deciding Not to celebrate with ALL the staff on the pitch after the wolves game makes him look selfish.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Potter knows exactly what he's doing with Neal.
Unfortunately for Neal. Deciding Not to celebrate with ALL the staff on the pitch after the wolves game makes him look selfish.

You could look at it like that, or possibly he didn’t want to take credit for a victory he had no hand in, and left the players who were, to take the praise.

Anyway, I hope he stays, even if some are starting a witch hunt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You could look at it like that, or possibly he didn’t want to take credit for a victory he had no hand in, and left the players who were, to take the praise.

Anyway, I hope he stays, even if some are starting a witch hunt.

A witch hunt seemingly born from his inability to...

...clap.

Imagine what we'd be like if we were needy! :ohmy:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A witch hunt seemingly born from his inability to hit a ......

barn door? cows arse with a banjo? the target with a penalty?

Imagine what we'd be like if we were needy! :ohmy:

I do not hate the bloke, I want him to do well, but lets not romanticise the man. He can score the odd worldie, chase around like CMS with an arrogant French attitude, and miss a fair number of sitters too. Lets have a little balance here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do not hate the bloke, I want him to do well, but lets not romanticise the man. He can score the odd worldie, chase around like CMS with an arrogant French attitude, and miss a fair number of sitters too. Lets have a little balance here.

He didn't miss any sitters on Saturday and yet this thread was bounced because he didn't clap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here