[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair point, people should realise that he is French and does not take lightly to being snubbed.

As said above he stopped his warm up to applaud us while we sang his song.

Then we get the 'I like him but...' drivel on the final whistle at a 0-3 away game, which produced stand out performances all over the pitch - from those who actually played.

If this were KPopStandChat some of our contributors would be told to stop being so shrill and there's every chance they are rotund bald middle aged men!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think there are too many pseudo psychologists/ mind readers on here.
Trying to give their opinion on why he did not celebrate is ridiculous. Maybe he has IBS, which is why Potter left him on the bench, and he had to rush off to the toilet at the end of the game!
In the same way some posters were saying at the start of April that Biss should never play for the club again because of his attitude problem, perhaps people should get off the back of our top scorer over the past three seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there are too many pseudo psychologists/ mind readers on here.
Trying to give their opinion on why he did not celebrate is ridiculous. Maybe he has IBS, which is why Potter left him on the bench, and he had to rush off to the toilet at the end of the game!
In the same way some posters were saying at the start of April that Biss should never play for the club again because of his attitude problem, perhaps people should get off the back of our top scorer over the past three seasons.

I'm marvelling at the sight of The Tross featuring in so many posters top 3 PotS.

The fella did nothing for 5 months.
Certainly did nothing to ease the pressure from Maupay - our loan striker.

Scores 3 Maupayesque goals (albeit with the customary extra touch) in quick succession and all of a sudden he's PotS material.

I guess he's a better claperer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s an Albion football site. First team squad player not celebrating a fantastic win with team mates but running off down the tunnel on the final whistle shouldn’t be discussed? It’s unusual and totally reasonable to ask/speculate why that would happen imo.

Some of you just love an attempted put down and an argument I think, or maybe you are just a better class of fan and the rest of us aren’t worthy. Yeah, that’ll be it probaby.

Tell Warren to STFU too why don’t you? To his face obviously

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Imagine what we'd be like if we were needy! :ohmy:

I've always been amused at home that a game can be in full flight with 11 Albion players fighting for a result that a section of crowd buzzes with excitement at the subs being sent out to warm up, if they're lucky they have a song and then return a clap to the contented attention loving masses.

Of course, half the players actually playing the game don't have a song or had a chant of encouragement during play, possibly because you don't get a clap back from someone concentrating on their actual job. :D

Imagine being Joel Veltman giving 100% every game fighting for a result, never hearing a particular song for you, but during the game he knows damn well which subs are warming up...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s an Albion football site. First team squad player not celebrating a fantastic win with team mates but running off down the tunnel on the final whistle shouldn’t be discussed? It’s unusual and totally reasonable to ask/speculate why that would happen imo.

Some of you just love an attempted put down and an argument I think, or maybe you are just a better class of fan and the rest of us aren’t worthy. Yeah, that’ll be it probaby.

What you have to ask yourself Icy, is why isn't it equally reasonable to hold an opinion that it is something about nothing and doesn't deserve discussion that seems to be a continual trend of undermining a player?

FWIW - I can see both sides of that view, it is odd he bombs it down the tunnel, but equally it's a bit :shrug: that he does imho.

At the end of the day, unless one of us hears from the dressing room, it's all just guessing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What you have to ask yourself Icy, is why isn't it equally reasonable to hold an opinion that it is something about nothing and doesn't deserve discussion that seems to be a continual trend of undermining a player?

FWIW - I can see both sides of that view, it is odd he bombs it down the tunnel, but equally it's a bit :shrug: that he does imho.

At the end of the day, unless one of us hears from the dressing room, it's all just guessing.

Wait... People are making assumptions based on little or no background or actual knowledge to form long lasting negative opinions about a player? Madness! Besides, we have the Aaron Connolly thread for that.

I agree though, no one knows what happens behind the scenes and if Bissouma's attitude is a problem it's certainly helped him deliver some sterling performances recently

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Agreed, It's just worth discussing. I am not calling for him to go or saying he should never play for us again. Maybe he does feel he contributed nothing so why join in the celebrations :shrug:

Both our recent French stars have been, shall we say, temperamental and it didn't work out well in the end for Knocky. Maybe it's just a Gallic thing.

Seems like a bad attitude to me but it may just be the way he is and I hope he can work his way back into the team before season's end...and score a worldy

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I'm marvelling at the sight of The Tross featuring in so many posters top 3 PotS.

The fella did nothing for 5 months.
Certainly did nothing to ease the pressure from Maupay - our loan striker.

Scores 3 Maupayesque goals (albeit with the customary extra touch) in quick succession and all of a sudden he's PotS material.

I guess he's a better claperer.
Considering Maupay struggles to beat a man and his first touch is well not great I doubt he scores half of Trossard’s goals this season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Agreed, It's just worth discussing. I am not calling for him to go or saying he should never play for us again. Maybe he does feel he contributed nothing so why join in the celebrations :shrug:

Both our recent French stars have been, shall we say, temperamental and it didn't work out well in the end for Knocky. Maybe it's just a Gallic thing.

Seems like a bad attitude to me but it may just be the way he is and I hope he can work his way back into the team before season's end...and score a worldy
AK went on loan how did it not end well?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The bit I struggle with is the simple fact it's repeated behaviour - it's what Maupay does.

55mins after the final whistle, this thread appears, again.
Within a couple of posts 'attitude' is called into question, again.

The team won.
The team won 0-3.
The squad is currently 9th.
The squad has amassed its highest EPL total.
The squad is still above palace.

55mins later a player who has directly contributed to that is having his attitude discussed.
4 days later it's still going on.

Saying 'FFS grow up you, sound like a bunch of little girls' apparently makes us 'better fans' - beyond validating the little girls comment, it's completely meaningless.

If not playing he'll do the same on Saturday and unbelievably there are many on here who still won't be able to cope.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This for me - I would feel the same. It's the other end of the 'John Terry Scale' of celebrating. Can't really tell from the photos I've seen but as well as Maupay and Alzate, I bet some of the other unused subs didn't pander to the whims of the terminally wanting to pick fault with something.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
AK went on loan how did it not end well?
He's only played 8 league games for them in three seasons since his transfer, and didn't get a single kick in the PL in the one season they were up? That doesn't strike me as ending well. Fulham must be wishing they'd never agreed to a loan-to-buy deal too.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He's only played 8 league games for them in three seasons since his transfer, and didn't get a single kick in the PL in the one season they were up? That doesn't strike me as ending well. Fulham must be wishing they'd never agreed to a loan-to-buy deal too.
I think the poster was implying it didn’t end well at the Albion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This for me - I would feel the same. It's the other end of the 'John Terry Scale' of celebrating. Can't really tell from the photos I've seen but as well as Maupay and Alzate, I bet some of the other unused subs didn't pander to the whims of the terminally wanting to pick fault with something.

I can't help thinking on the parallel universe forum ChatStandNorth, 'Stolen Valour Maupay' is getting called out for celebrating wins he didn't contribute too.

Maupay played through an awful, truly awful period of the season.
His benching has coincided with:-

- The gaffer getting his groove back.
- A win at Arsenal.
- Goals from midfield.
- The Tross scoring 'his' Southampton/palace/West Ham goals.
- Argie missing a penalty and inexplicably getting another chance.
- Welbz launching into a bone crushing 50/50 AND WALKING AWAY.
- Goals so easy to come by even Bis scored.

I'd be fracking livid if I were him :lol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I've always been amused at home that a game can be in full flight with 11 Albion players fighting for a result that a section of crowd buzzes with excitement at the subs being sent out to warm up, if they're lucky they have a song and then return a clap to the contented attention loving masses.

Of course, half the players actually playing the game don't have a song or had a chant of encouragement during play, possibly because you don't get a clap back from someone concentrating on their actual job. :D

Imagine being Joel Veltman giving 100% every game fighting for a result, never hearing a particular song for you, but during the game he knows damn well which subs are warming up...
You are definitely over thinking things. It was a 10 second clap if that for the Albion young subs against Saints. They had a big smile and probably felt more part of things.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think the poster was implying it didn’t end well at the Albion.

It didn't, he was shipped out pretty well as soon as GP arrived wasn't he? There was lots of rumour about a drinking culture, maybe that was all bollocks as well but no I don't think it ended well for him at the Albion. He was a bit of a loose canon on the pitch in his latter days here too wasn't he?

I thought it was all a massive shame, we would not have got promoted when we did without him, sad ending for a legend imo :shrug:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It’s an Albion football site. First team squad player not celebrating a fantastic win with team mates but running off down the tunnel on the final whistle shouldn’t be discussed?
No one said it shouldn't be discussed. Some people think it means he's got a bad attitude and we should get rid, others are saying that's a crazy reaction and we have no real idea why he didn't, and whether he then congratulated the team in private afterwards.

If Warren comes up to my face and complains about Maupay, I'll defend Maupay to Warren's face. But he's not in my face, he's on the radio, so it would be a bit weird to knock on his door to disagree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports