Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If Maupay himself has the pick of Forest, Everton or Fulham, he'd be mad to go anywhere other than the Cottage - discounting different wage offers, obviously.

Everton - massive pressure on whatever striker they sign, to perform. Unrealistic, miserabilist fanbase. Unproven, one-dimensional manager.

Forest - have signed a truckload of forward players, plus he'd be in direct competition with the excellent Brennan Johnson, meaning he'd probably get less game time than staying here.

Fulham - reasonable levels of expectation. Nice place to live, if indeed he needs to move at all. Could form a fantastic partnership with Mitrovic. As a pair they'd be horrible to defend against - Mitrovic's strengths, complemented with Maupay's movement and tireless pressing.

Just based on that, I think Everton would be his choice. He wants to be a hero, not Mitrovic sidekick.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If Maupay himself has the pick of Forest, Everton or Fulham, he'd be mad to go anywhere other than the Cottage - discounting different wage offers, obviously.

Everton - massive pressure on whatever striker they sign, to perform. Unrealistic, miserabilist fanbase. Unproven, one-dimensional manager.

Forest - have signed a truckload of forward players, plus he'd be in direct competition with the excellent Brennan Johnson, meaning he'd probably get less game time than staying here.

Fulham - reasonable levels of expectation. Nice place to live, if indeed he needs to move at all. Could form a fantastic partnership with Mitrovic. As a pair they'd be horrible to defend against - Mitrovic's strengths, complemented with Maupay's movement and tireless pressing.

Just based on that, I think Everton would be his choice. He wants to be a hero, not Mitrovic sidekick.

Don't see why Everton wouldn't be an option. They currently have no fit striker, and DCL is likely to be out for another two months. Maups could play up-top on his own, or with DCL where they could work well together for the reasons enumerated with Mitrovic.
Don't think going to Fulham would require him to be Mitrovic's sidekick.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't see why Everton wouldn't be an option. They currently have no fit striker, and DCL is likely to be out for another two months. Maups could play up-top on his own, or with DCL where they could work well together for the reasons enumerated with Mitrovic.
Don't think going to Fulham would require him to be Mitrovic's sidekick.

Put simply - because Maupay CAN'T (effectively) play up top on his own. It's exactly why he is being moved out of the Albion. If he went to Everton, its what would be asked of him - it wouldn't succeed and their fans would be on his back within weeks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you were Fulham or Everton why would you pay more than what we have already accepted.

You just tell Maupay to reject Forest and wait for us to accept their similar bid.

It's supply and demand. If supply is fixed and demand goes up then so does the price. However, the risk Albion run is no other bids materialise, Forest feel they've been played and withdraw their original offer.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It's supply and demand. If supply is fixed and demand goes up then so does the price. However, the risk Albion run is no other bids materialise, Forest feel they've been played and withdraw their original offer.

Might also be that they only value him at the same price which is why they have become interested.

I personally think the time for a bidding war was a week ago, if we have agreed a fee with Forest I don’t think we are the type of club to go back on the deal OR say to Maupay you can’t go anywhere else because we want more money off them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Are we really expecting another signing if Neal does depart? Some hopeful posts here but I would be surprised to see one myself.
It's 50/50 for me.

I don't expect a signing, but at the same time I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is one. Potter's comments about having no one similar to Welbeck in the squad make me think it's possible we are trying to get someone else in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are we really expecting another signing if Neal does depart? Some hopeful posts here but I would be surprised to see one myself.

Got high hopes for Undav. Would be nice if he got given a proper chance to shine sometime soon. May well have converted one of those glorious cut-backs from Mitoma if he'd come on at the same time as him on Saturday. He is supposed to be the Maupay replacement right?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Put simply - because Maupay CAN'T (effectively) play up top on his own. It's exactly why he is being moved out of the Albion. If he went to Everton, its what would be asked of him - it wouldn't succeed and their fans would be on his back within weeks.

He can. He might not be as good at doing it as Welbeck or DCL, for instance. Then again, not many strikers in the PL are. He's done it for us for 2.5 years, and helped our rise.
But you know that wasn't the point I was making: he can play up-front on his own while DCL is out injured; they can start together; Maups can replace him, or join him as the game progresses. That gives them options. And they need options because, again, DCL is out injured for two months and they don't have anyone else to play up front -- unless you're under the mistaken view that Rondon still cuts the mustard (and, even when he did, his goal return was worse than Maups).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He can. He might not be as good at doing it as Welbeck or DCL, for instance. Then again, not many strikers in the PL are. He's done it for us for 2.5 years, and helped our rise.
But you know that wasn't the point I was making: he can play up-front on his own while DCL is out injured; they can start together; Maups can replace him, or join him as the game progresses. That gives them options. And they need options because, again, DCL is out injured for two months and they don't have anyone else to play up front -- unless you're under the mistaken view that Rondon still cuts the mustard (and, even when he did, his goal return was worse than Maups).

I think my tone may have come across wrong. I really like Maupay, and personally would rather he stayed with us. He's an absolute handful, his movement is excellent, and he scores some great goals. But he can't look after the ball, and bring others into play - its just not his strength. And he is prone to miss the occasional sitter - and the fickle, entitled Everton fans, will be far less forgiving than ours.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think my tone may have come across wrong. I really like Maupay, and personally would rather he stayed with us. He's an absolute handful, his movement is excellent, and he scores some great goals. But he can't look after the ball, and bring others into play - its just not his strength. And he is prone to miss the occasional sitter - and the fickle, entitled Everton fans, will be far less forgiving than ours.

Playing up-front in the PL is a tough, tough job, which is why there are so few that (can) do it, also leading to sides setting up without a 'striker'. I also love Maupay, but it might be the best time to part. I think he's a tad better at holding onto the ball than you credit.
Everton fans are going to have to get used to lowered expectations because, like United fans, they need to reset to where they are and how long it will take to challenge again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Could someone change the thread title please - to

Neal Maupay - Where-Will-He-Actually-Go?

Not in, and never have been in, the Neal Maupay out group, but maybe it's the best time for both parties. He hasn't been the hot-shot goal scorer we all hoped for, but nonetheless he scored the goals that kept us in the division. Maybe some sort of conversation about 'ceilings' is about right for now. Good luck to him if he goes to Everton (although personally that wouldn't be my best advice to him!)

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Got high hopes for Undav. Would be nice if he got given a proper chance to shine sometime soon. May well have converted one of those glorious cut-backs from Mitoma if he'd come on at the same time as him on Saturday. He is supposed to be the Maupay replacement right?

I was watching him warm up on Saturday. And I'm sure it's just going body shape, but he looks like a right tub of ice cream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here