Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Surely Ben Brereton Diaz is good option?

Based on what exactly ? Flash in a pan spell but not convinced he’s what we need or could step up

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So even after finishing 9th you still can’t accept that maybe you’re wrong about Potter and that he actually knows what he’s doing?

THPP is clever enough to be well aware that GP is really good at his job.

It is just a hunt for attention/winding people up.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

Based on what exactly ? Flash in a pan spell but not convinced he’s what we need or could step up

I think some people need to raise their expectations to where the club is trying to position itself.

So, could Brereton-Diaz make it in the EPL? Very probably. Is he currently a top 10 EPL striker? No, definitely not.

Our future is the likes of Ferguson, Sima and possible Zeqiri or Tolaj. We need a ‘Welbeck profile’ for now not someone who’ll need to develop and adapt to the EPL like BBD or our U23s.

I have faith that the club will be looking at a player who is a level or two up from the Blackburn lad.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Striker wise if Neal goes and we replace it has to be somebody more proven in a top European league, La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga.

I would like someone around 23-25 who was 100 top flight appearances under belt who brings something different to our front line options.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think some people need to raise their expectations to where the club is trying to position itself.

So, could Brereton-Diaz make it in the EPL? Very probably. Is he currently a top 10 EPL striker? No, definitely not.

Our future is the likes of Ferguson, Sima and possible Zeqiri or Tolaj. We need a ‘Welbeck profile’ for now not someone who’ll need to develop and adapt to the EPL like BBD or our U23s.

I have faith that the club will be looking at a player who is a level or two up from the Blackburn lad.

I sort of agree that we have enough prospects in that position, players who might come to something and we'll have to throw them on and back one or possibly two with serious game time next season or the one after in order to find out.

To me the likelihood is that we don't sign a senior striker (which is an opinion born of the recent history of following us). I think GP sees Trossard as someone who can play in that position, especially as we seem to be resolving the LWB situation and have a glut of "wide forward" type players. I also think Potter is happy to play without a striker at all in some games.

The big unknown is Undav of course. If he doesn't get on the pitch for more than a few minutes in the next few games, he'll be getting a bit twitchy about whether the manager fancies playing him at all.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Apparently Everton and Fulham have now joined race to sign Maupay. Hopefully it’ll force the price up a bit more,

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apparently Everton and Fulham have now joined race to sign Maupay. Hopefully it’ll force the price up a bit more,

So, the relegation candidates are fighting over him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we were signing a player for 15m , yet to reach his peak and someone who has scored 8+ in his last 3 prem seasons , we'd be absolutely over the moon.

Maupay was frustrating at times but I think we will miss his goals.

For me , its Imperative another striker comes in , preferably one that can be ready for the first team , even if we have to break our transfer record.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don’t see how if we have already accepted a bid of £15m from Forest.

Just means Maupay can cash in a bit more probably.

There's no transaction that's occurred. We're not in Spain, with release clauses. If a higher bid comes in, and Maupay accepts the conditions, then that's where he'll go.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I know that the world has changed, but as somebody who grew up watching football in the 1970s and 80s, it just seems a little strange that Everton might be after a player for their first team who looks surplus to requirements at the Albion. I think that Neal would be popular there. They liked Richarlison, so don't seem to have a problem with shithousery or missed chances if they're balanced out with determination and the occasional well timed worldy.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
There's no transaction that's occurred. We're not in Spain, with release clauses. If a higher bid comes in, and Maupay accepts the conditions, then that's where he'll go.

If you were Fulham or Everton why would you pay more than what we have already accepted.

You just tell Maupay to reject Forest and wait for us to accept their similar bid.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If we were signing a player for 15m , yet to reach his peak and someone who has scored 8+ in his last 3 prem seasons , we'd be absolutely over the moon.

Maupay was frustrating at times but I think we will miss his goals.

For me , its Imperative another striker comes in , preferably one that can be ready for the first team , even if we have to break our transfer record.

I’m not saying your wrong ….. I’m not pushing Maupay out of the door.

But what makes you think he hasn’t already peaked ? He certainly hasn’t improved over the last 3 years under Potter which can’t be said about many players and he seems to have plateaued achievement wise.

He could well make the step up at another team and push on…. Or just as likely that he regresses and stays a 8 goal a season striker.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
But what makes you think he hasn’t already peaked ? He certainly hasn’t improved over the last 3 years under Potter which can’t be said about many players and he seems to have plateaued achievement wise.

If anything, he stagnated / went backwards last season. He had a good spell early this year, but (as with his entire tenure with us, really) he went off the boil. He's a player who goes through phases of being sublime, then lengthy periods of not producing enough. If someone can get him to be more consistently near his peak there's a solid 12-15 per year striker in Maupay, but as it stands you just can't rely on a striker who goes off the boil for long periods like he has.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If you were Fulham or Everton why would you pay more than what we have already accepted.

You just tell Maupay to reject Forest and wait for us to accept their similar bid.

Because you might want the player?

Nottingham: "Here's £15m for your Maupay guy."
Brighton: "Ok, its a deal."
Everton & Fulham: "Hi, we've heard you might be selling this Maupay guy..."
Brighton: "Yeah. He's talking to Nottingham now, £15m."
Everton & Fulham: "Oh, here's £15m."
Brighton: "Nah, is cool, we already got a deal with Nottingham, pretty much done and dusted... unless you can pay a bit more maybe?"
Everton & Fulham: "Err...."
Brighton: "What did you say? £18m?"
Everton & Fulham: "Yeah..."
Brighton: "Oh... for £18m we might just tell Nottingham, 'sorry guys, we got a better bid...'"

Accepting a bid means little until the deal is actually signed. If you're selling some ugly painting online and some bloke calls you and says "here's your £10, deal?" and you say yes and then five minutes later someone calls and says "here's your £20", then you could either a) accept the first bid because you're an honourable but shite business man or b) tell the first buyer to up his bid or go **** himself because you are a clever and competent business man who knows how to get money out of a deal. I think Tony is probably in the latter category or he wouldnt be a billionaire.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Everton must be desperate for striker options and so maybe Neal would be a good fit for them. Fulham have money and maybe would mean that Neal doesn’t have to move his family. Could be attractive for him.
I just hope that we have a viable striker replacement up our sleeve for when a bid is accepted.
Possibly the Austrian, Peter Crouch double? Certainly sounds like Potter is suggesting more of an old fashioned number 9.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Maupay himself has the pick of Forest, Everton or Fulham, he'd be mad to go anywhere other than the Cottage - discounting different wage offers, obviously.

Everton - massive pressure on whatever striker they sign, to perform. Unrealistic, miserabilist fanbase. Unproven, one-dimensional manager.

Forest - have signed a truckload of forward players, plus he'd be in direct competition with the excellent Brennan Johnson, meaning he'd probably get less game time than staying here.

Fulham - reasonable levels of expectation. Nice place to live, if indeed he needs to move at all. Could form a fantastic partnership with Mitrovic. As a pair they'd be horrible to defend against - Mitrovic's strengths, complemented with Maupay's movement and tireless pressing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here