Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Neal Maupay...SIGNED FOR EVERTON.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Neal Maupay...What Does He Actually Do?

Agree although I think Leicester will put the brakes on further outgoings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, Leicester need to shift some players so they definitely won’t be stopping outgoings. That’s the reason why they’re not buying anyone, they’re not in financial difficulty as such but their squad is too big (and expensive) and they’ve not been able to get rid of the fringe players. The only bids they’ve had are for ones they don’t want to sell like Fofana, Maddison and Barnes.

Of their fringe players, I would be very pleased to get hold of Iheanacho and Soumare for the right money.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Kelechi Iheanacho would be an excellent place to invest some of Tony’s generated millions across this last year. Unfancied by Rogers, much to Leicester fans derision, the 25 year old is a proven PL goalscorer. Would be a helluva statement.

Suspect a helluva wage demand too. TB doesn’t do big wages, which IMO is main reason we find it difficult to get THE striker that could be the missing jigsaw piece. GF has improved, but yesterday showed how we still need a goal scorer. Undav not used yesterday.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Kelechi Iheanacho would be an excellent place to invest some of Tony’s generated millions across this last year. Unfancied by Rogers, much to Leicester fans derision, the 25 year old is a proven PL goalscorer. Would be a helluva statement.

Agree, exactly what we need to go to the next level imo. Fast, good finisher. Inexplicably frozen out by Rodgers.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Suspect a helluva wage demand too. TB doesn’t do big wages, which IMO is main reason we find it difficult to get THE striker that could be the missing jigsaw piece. GF has improved, but yesterday showed how we still need a goal scorer. Undav not used yesterday.

I’m sure I read somewhere he was on £60k a week ?

Not sure how that fits in with our current wage structure.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m sure I read somewhere he was on £60k a week ?

Not sure how that fits in with our current wage structure.

IF you believe Sportrac (a big IF), that’s correct. Our top earners are on roughly 45-50k a week (Welbeck, Dunk, Maupay, Tross). But we seemed to find a way to pay Lallana the equivalent of 70k (probably via a signing on fee as he was a free agent). So either he takes a small pay cut, or we find a a clever exception. I wonder whether some of the recent windfalls might be used to nudge our average wage bill up (you’d think a rise to 60k or a bit more is likely needed to retain Trossard for example).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
IF you believe Sportrac (a big IF), that’s correct. Our top earners are on roughly 45-50k a week (Welbeck, Dunk, Maupay, Tross). But we seemed to find a way to pay Lallana the equivalent of 70k (probably via a signing on fee as he was a free agent). So either he takes a small pay cut, or we find a a clever exception. I wonder whether some of the recent windfalls might be used to nudge our average wage bill up (you’d think a rise to 60k or a bit more is likely needed to retain Trossard for example).

Maybe. Feels like he might be playing the long game though, some kind of understanding that wages in football might have reached the peak and could go down from here... making Brighton more competitive in the market.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

A) don't believe Sportrac.
B) We'd have offered Lallana a nice big signing on bonus as he was a free agent, that would have covered any losses from a drop in weekly wage and keep him in our existing wage structure that Bloom is rightly reluctant to blow wide open. Lallana strikes me as one of footballs good guys (unless hes getting wound up and strangling Tottenham youth team players), he wants to be part of the project here and we've given him that chance to get more involved with coaching. He also saw the benefit of a lower weekly wage and a 3 year deal over a larger weekly wage and a 1 or 2 year deal elsewhere, especially when he has a history of being on the physio table.

I agree our recent windfall could be used to nudge up the weekly wage of some of our more senior/influential players, but Bloom will still be cautious of not sending us down the road of £100k a week players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just read about the red dogs buying Maupay for £15m, you'd bite their hands off for that wouldn't you?

Not, entirely sure. Given he's got a year left on his contract, then yes. He's scored c9 goals a season in the 3 seasons he's been with us, and there aren't many better returns in the bottom half of the PL.
But, unless we sell him in the next two weeks, we'll get nothing for him and have the potential of LPMdM becoming Le Grand Sulk for the rest of the season. On balance, I'd take it, and thank him for the memories.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People talking about weekly wages and signing bonuses, but you have to add other bonuses into the overall picture too. Some are very easy to hit and substantial.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Iheanacho has scored fewer Premier League goals than Maupay and he’s played more games than Maupay.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Maupay is a 'difficult' personality and I believe that GP would prefer not to be working with such difficult personalities. Hence he will be off and it will be our loss.

This is an observation and not intended as a criticism of GP. He likes a tightly night group who all buy into what the squad are looking to achieve. It is perhaps one of the reasons why GP is content to remain here rather than reach for a greater challenge, a bigger club where there is more a need to cater to the needs of 'Billy Bollocks' internationals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here