Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] NCS’s most talented footballer?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
In my time there were 12/15 divisions in Brighton and Sunday League. Not sure but think Brighton League has almalgomated with Wothing League and very few teams. Same for Sunday League. For years had such fun and made so many friends. Why dont people play now ?
yes they merged leagues when I was managing a team. When we joined there was a premier division and then 2 "west" divisions (mostly worthing) and 2 "east" divisions (mostly Brighton) below that. By the time we called it quits a few years later there was 1 premier and 1 non regional league below it

Lots of reasons why people don't play, these are my experiences from running a team

-there's so much more stuff to do for young people
-as soon as a player got married or had a kid you knew you'd never see them again
-it's so much more hassle than 5/6 a side where you just rock up and play rather than having to be registered etc
-It's usually more expensive than 5/6 a side
-It clashes with football on tv or going to games
-The outrageous amount of admin involved in running a team means people are put off organising one=fewer teams
-Fewer teams means the teams that are left are made up of the ultra keen and/or psychopaths which puts casual players off
-For the amount of money you're spending the facilities are diabolical vs artificial pitch for 5/6 a side, younger players want to play the game on the deck not be kicked to pieces by a coked up divorced dad whilst traipsing through mud

from an admin perspective

-There is very little flexibility in the people running the league and it's all very old school (eg rolling subs would have made a huge difference to us). It needs to be treated a lot more like a fun leisure activity than an ultra serious league
-There's not enough refs....we had so many games that we weren't provided a ref for at short notice as they'd get taken for a game higher up the pyramid. This meant that it became the home teams "responsibility" to provide a ref. My dad helped us out a few times as he'd qualified as a ref in the 90s so vaguely had a clue what he was doing, but stopped doing that when one side decided to turn the game into something out of Football Factory. When this happened again and we weren't able to "provide a ref" we were fined and docked points, cool, cheers (btw we only found out that we wouldn't be getting a ref on the saturday morning)

All in all I was delighted to stop running a team and I know I'm not alone in that

Sorry for the long winded message

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
In my time there were 12/15 divisions in Brighton and Sunday League. Not sure but think Brighton League has amalgomated with Wothing League and very few teams. Same for Sunday League. For years had such fun and made so many friends. Why dont people play now ?
You got a much more football-specific reply already, but thought I'd chip in that it's not just football. Village club cricket has gone the same way. 10 years ago, plenty of teams, plenty of divisions. Now: what was two (or more, I've lost track) separate leagues merged, some clubs have folded completely, others that regularly turned out multiple teams now struggle to fill one.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
yes they merged leagues when I was managing a team. When we joined there was a premier division and then 2 "west" divisions (mostly worthing) and 2 "east" divisions (mostly Brighton) below that. By the time we called it quits a few years later there was 1 premier and 1 non regional league below it

Lots of reasons why people don't play, these are my experiences from running a team

-as soon as a player got married or had a kid you knew you'd never see them again
-it's so much more hassle than 5/6 a side where you just rock up and play rather than having to be registered etc
-The outrageous amount of admin involved in running a team means people are put off organising one=fewer teams
-Fewer teams means the teams that are left are made up of the ultra keen and/or psychopaths which puts casual players off
-For the amount of money you're spending the facilities are diabolical vs artificial pitch for 5/6 a side, younger players want to play the game on the deck not be kicked to pieces by a coked up divorced dad whilst traipsing through mud

-There is very little flexibility in the people running the league and it's all very old school (eg rolling subs would have made a huge difference to us). It needs to be treated a lot more like a fun leisure activity than an ultra serious league
-There's not enough refs....we had so many games that we weren't provided a ref for at short notice as they'd get taken for a game higher up the pyramid. This meant that it became the home teams "responsibility" to provide a ref. My dad helped us out a few times as he'd qualified as a ref in the 90s so vaguely had a clue what he was doing, but stopped doing that when one side decided to turn the game into something out of Football Factory. When this happened again and we weren't able to "provide a ref" we were fined and docked points, cool, cheers (btw we only found out that we wouldn't be getting a ref on the saturday morning)

All in all I was delighted to stop running a team and I know I'm not alone in that

Thanks Such a shame As I said had so much fun and made lasting friendships. Played every Saturday and Sunday. Often 200 plus people watching Preston Park on a Sunday.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Many years ago, I played International Football.

Well, I say ‘International’, I played for my ship against Gibraltar before they got international recognition. And, to be fair, the ship I was on at the time, only had a crew of 245 sailors, so, if you took out the fellas that were on duty, didn’t play football, or were ashore that afternoon, I was probably amongst the best 20-25 players.

It was a very long time ago, and, we got absolutely hammered, I think it was about 7-0.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Also I decided there were better things to do with my time than stand in the middle of what was essentially a ploughed field in the middle of nowhere, up to my ankles in mud and water, in the rain, sleet and snow, with the ongoing risk of getting my head kicked in by some nutcase who was actually supposed to be on my side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here