Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] NCS’s most talented footballer?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wouldn’t be so sure.

At the moment you’re up against @LamieRobertson playing Left Back In the Changing Rooms for Shoreham Utd thirds; @Guinness Boy s ‘works team’ who were probably so pissed they put their shorts on back to front and @goldstone 76, who’s still in dispute with the Dubious Goals panel after 44 years.

I think you’ve got a chance
Oi! It was a PUB team. Carnegies Taipei no less.

A typical pre-match email would read 'we are away at Red Lions this week. Don't forget sun cream, water and fags.' And you're right, once a year we held a tournament where you had to have a shot of Polish Vodka before you were allowed on the pitch.

I did get to play and train HERE though.

1701164250540.png

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
No matter the level of football played .... am I the only one who occasionally thinks during a game "I'd have gone far post ......", "needed the outside of his boot there ...." etc.
I’m always amazed how utterly one footed so many top level players are… left or right doesn’t matter to me … that’s on the run too… our very own left winger is hugely one footed… imagine if he could use both as well as his right ? Yep, he’d be playing for Madrid or City ….. errrrr ahem lol.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am n where near but have played against Josip Skoko in a masters competition a few times.

He didn't move from the centre circle but ran the game and was head and shoulders the best play on the pitch.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
More of a Steve Claridge moment, playing for various Hastings and Bexhill teams.
Also played for RAF based teams and once played against Neil Smillies Gillingham in a friendly in Germany.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I was (and still am) a rubbish footballer, as several regulars on here will confirm (@Jack Straw , @WATFORD zero) but I was once booked by an FA Cup final and Fifa-listed referee.

Don't do yourself down. The "Silver Fox in His Own Box" was always picked quite early on when the teams were being chosen!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We won the Worthing junior cup in 1968 playing for Atomic United.
There was only two teams in the competition and we bought our own cup.
I came on aged 8 for the last 5 minutes.
Then we watched WBA beat Everton in the afternoon cup game on the TV.
I couldn’t sustain playing at that level for long though

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Played for Wellingborough Town FC in the 90’s, few games in the early rounds of the FA Cup. Just started to get paid then ruptured my ACL, so had physio over Northampton town & Rushden & Diamonds but never fully recovered.
Played against Kettering when Alan Buckley was manager, had a few pre season games against Northampton Town and former Man Utd stars.
One of the Cobblers games was a testimonial game for a former Doughboys coach and we had a few former internationals playing for us, one who stood out was Frank Worthington and although getting on a bit, he took the p!ss that day, absolute filth.
The Man Utd game was one of the biggest crowds I’ve played in front of and embarrassed to say I was signing autographs before and after the game for kids who must’ve thought I was someone special. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Guy Butters used to post on here, and I'm sure we were in the Championship at the time. Did he ever get any Premier League minutes for Spurs?

I also played in the same 5-a-side team as Bob Booker and Matt Hicks.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I played in a style reminiscent of Paddy McCourt for Leicester University when I was there.

The thing I remember the other players in our team and all the opponents we played, ok, they visibly went to the gym. They had like proper muscles and everything. It was the best level I ever played at, and to me they seemed like Supermen.

I got in because I had a decent touch, ok acceleration. I can score. All my mates still consider me a good player, the best out of our group. . But i'm not tall, and at that level not strong, and crucially after 5 or 10 minutes trying to mix it was visibly coughing my guts up. I drifted out of the team and went back to concentrate on what I really did best. Drinking.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I know a poster on here who played for Littlehampton Town and once commanded a transfer fee to Arundel. The fee being a bag of balls.
We wouldn't get involved in such high stakes bargaining at Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Played for Chailey until 77. Had a green shed, no showers, with Old Trafford sprayed on the front but absolutely glorious views of the downs, handy to gaze upon when you're 3 nil down!
Crikey I only played up until I was 49, good effort ;) :):):)

Trail at Aldershot & Reading, played in some very good Army sides and The Gloucester County League, finished up in WSFL Div 4 at 49

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Played for Chailey until 77. Had a green shed, no showers, with Old Trafford sprayed on the front but absolutely glorious views of the downs, handy to gaze upon when you're 3 nil down!
Was that 1977 and on Chailey Common ? Do you still live nearby ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Only got as far as the school team Byrchall high school in Ashton-in-Makerfield (Wigan) with Russell Beardsmore who went on to be one of Fergies fledglings and played for Manchester United and then Bournemouth. We got to a local final and a Greater Manchester area final which was played at Burndon Park in Bolton, we won 4-1 and I scored a brace. I then found music and lost interest in training and playing on a Saturday when it interfered with going to gigs and chasing tail.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
10 years at Horsham YMCA in the SCFL

Best pitch I played on : Imber Court against Met Police in FA Cup - not sure what it's like now but it was fantastic when we played there.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
U21's for Southwick was as far as I got before leaving to go to uni.

And I never scored a career goal as I was a keeper, nearly scored when I went up front for the last 15 one game though.
I played for a local pub team in a Sunday league as a keeper. I scored a goal with a punt upfield when playing on a school pitch that was nowhere near the official pitch length.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I played with Gareth Barry a fair bit, think jumpers for goalposts. Just kick arounds. I played against Gary O'Neil and Lewis Buxton (a decent CB) a few times. Mostly 5 a side. My overriding memory was how strong they all were in the tackle and how flat and hard they could kick a ball. The best player we had in that team was a surfer and weed smoker who was released by Norwich at 16. He would play CB despite being a small CM and would often dribble through the entire team.
One of my best mates played throughout the England Schools age groups. Left winger so seriously sought after. Played in a reserve game against QPR. A certain defender who had a very good career took umbridge with being made to look foolish by a 16 year old so stamped on his knee. Never kicked a ball again.
It's a harsh game, football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here