Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones **Joins Charlton 04/02/2023**

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A few months ago - well, maybe more like a year or two - I'd have been quite happy with the idea of Jines coning back to the Albion, next in line, so to speak.

Now we've moved on, I think. Good luck to him at Stains though (except against us, of course .................. and yes, at the end of the day, I suppose I would quite enjoy them going down - unless they can keep up with us, of course!)

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I'd have been gutted. Maybe Nathan Jones will go on to become a great manager, but he hasn't shown it yet.
Heard a Stains fan on radio excusing his time at Stoke with "well all good managers have at least 1 club where things don't go well"

flipside is, maybe some managers only have one club where things do go well.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Really pleased for Jones and hope he does well.
I always wondered how we might have done if his caretaker tenure had been confirmed. I suspect the trajectory might not have been so different.

Still a massive risk for Southampton with seemingly limited player resources and still less confidence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Obviously Stoke gets mentioned a lot in relation to Jones but as a club they have not done anything since he left. There seems to be a lot more wrong there than just the manager and Jones has bounced back well imo.
I think he might suffer in the same way that GP is, expectations will be high and if he doesn't deliver quickly the fans will be quick to turn on a manager who has won"nothing"

TBH, I don't actually care very much as I never warmed to him, even when he was here. (Jones that is not Potter!!!)

Spoken to a few Saints supporting mates and they'd never heard of him!

The feeling is that there are some really good youngsters there but they haven't gelled as a team. If he gets that right all should be perfectly competent. However, Nathan has some oddities and there is the potential for it to go belly up quite quickly.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Nathan Jones to Saints​

They deserve each other.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I like him and if I was looking at a ceiling of established Championship club as my ambition I’d seriously consider him. Be that for a L2, L1 or lower half Champ team. It seems a bit odd for Southampton but wish him the best of luck (less so them but meh! more than anything negative).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
One can't help but think it's an appointment with one eye on the possibility of Championship football next seaon.

Good luck to him though.
Exactly what my Saints supporting half brother said, he thinks the owners are not willing to invest heavily anymore in the squad and are possibly looking to sell, not sure if that is just rumours or there could be some truth to it.
In which case, Jones is a stop gap and could have been sold a pup.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Nice easy game to kick things off. Wish him well other than when we play them.
His first game will be the EFL Cup then us. I know a few Saints fans, all negative on the appointment.

Its a gamble with no PL experience, but Gpot was the same

Owners don't seem to have much dough...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It strikes me as a really ODD appointment.

He doesn't have the experience for the job, he doesn't have the connection with the club either, or the pulling power of having been a huge international former star player.

All of that applied to Potter, except that Potter has a definite football philosophy and a degree in emotional intelligence to back it up.

I'm not sure that Jones anything extraordinary about him. He employs a style that is effective in the Championship - aerial, direct, wing-backs, good at set pieces, but at Southampton he has small forwards in Walcott, Adams and Adam Armstrong, and defensive players that are not known for being successful when hitting 50 yard passes.

This smacks of Southampton's board just plumping for a cheap but effective Championship manager. I don't expect them to get anything from the Liverpool game but after that he has us, Forest, Villa and Brentford at home, Fulham, Everton and Wolves away at home. I think he has to get at least 11 points from those 8 games.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Are Saints in financial trouble that they are needing to go cheap…. Would we have been happy after Potter left to have approached Mr Jones ?
Jones isn’t a cheap option. They had to pay over £4m in compensation to Luton.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Jones isn’t a cheap option. They had to pay over £4m in compensation to Luton.
He wont get anything like the wages on a 3/4 year deal that a foreign coach would demand, and if they were in a job at present - and the best usually are - they would still have to buy them out.
As an aside does anyone have any idea what Di Zerbe is on ?

Last edited:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Apart from the Yeovil game can anyone tell me why there is so much ill feeling towards Jones? It's disproportionate on this thread to just be the Yeovil game. Plus he's been back in Albion employment since then and done well.

I thought he was a great player for us, loved the Nathan Jones step-over which inevitably was followed by a Zamora goal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here