Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones **Joins Charlton 04/02/2023**

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He wont get anything like the wages on a 3/4 year deal that a foreign coach would demand, and if they were in a job at present - and the best usually are - they would still have to buy them out.
As an aside does anyone have any idea what Di Zerbe is on ?

De Zerbi was reportedly on £1.5m a season at Shaktar. Couple of articles I saw said he was on around 2m with us. I hope Bloom gets him to sign a new contract soon.

Mirror are reporting Jones is on the same at Saints.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
De Zerbi was reportedly on £1.5m a session at Shaktar. Couple of articles I saw said he was on around 2m with us. I hope Bloom gets him to sign a new contract soon.

Sounds pretty likely and similar to what GP was earning.

Maybe he'll get rewarded with a "ok, you're the right guy"-extension/improvement during the World Cup? Plenty of time to negotiatie and stuff.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apart from the Yeovil game can anyone tell me why there is so much ill feeling towards Jones? It's disproportionate on this thread to just be the Yeovil game. Plus he's been back in Albion employment since then and done well.

I thought he was a great player for us, loved the Nathan Jones step-over which inevitably was followed by a Zamora goal.
Yes, think I’m missing something.

Loved it when he oversaw the Fulham victory prior to Hughton’s appointment, great interview and reaction with the fans.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
De Zerbi was reportedly on £1.5m a session at Shaktar. Couple of articles I saw said he was on around 2m with us. I hope Bloom gets him to sign a new contract soon.

I think Jones could be ok….. It’s very similar to when Potter joined us Lurchy

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good luck to him. For some reason I've always quite liked the guy - particularly when playing for us.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Apart from the Yeovil game can anyone tell me why there is so much ill feeling towards Jones? It's disproportionate on this thread to just be the Yeovil game. Plus he's been back in Albion employment since then and done well.

I thought he was a great player for us, loved the Nathan Jones step-over which inevitably was followed by a Zamora goal.
Hmm. Not sure it's 'ill feeling' as such. Some might harbour it, but most of the 'anti-Jones' sentiment is that we don't think he's a PL quality manager, and consequently we don't want him anywhere near our club - certainly not in a mangerial role.

I think you can turn your question on it head - why do so many people think he'd be a good manager for us, maybe even to the extent that we should have employed him rather than RDZ? I accept that if we were in League One at Withdean looking for a replacement for someone like Russel Slade he'd be ideal, but leaving aside his, at best, modest managerial record he's not a 'Bloom Project' style of manager. All his fans can offer is that he was a good player for us (agreed), and that he won at Fulham when he was caretaker manager (Not sure if that was his only game?) TB didn't see enough in him to give him the job and I trust TB. God knows where we'd be if he'd given it to Jones and not Hughton, not where we are now that's for sure.

Anyway, it's all about opinions, so if he does well at Southampton feel free to tell me I was wrong!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hmm. Not sure it's 'ill feeling' as such. Some might harbour it, but most of the 'anti-Jones' sentiment is that we don't think he's a PL quality manager, and consequently we don't want him anywhere near our club - certainly not in a mangerial role.

I think you can turn your question on it head - why do so many people think he'd be a good manager for us, maybe even to the extent that we should have employed him rather than RDZ? I accept that if we were in League One at Withdean looking for a replacement for someone like Russel Slade he'd be ideal, but leaving aside his, at best, modest managerial record he's not a 'Bloom Project' style of manager. All his fans can offer is that he was a good player for us (agreed), and that he won at Fulham when he was caretaker manager (Not sure if that was his only game?) TB didn't see enough in him to give him the job and I trust TB. God knows where we'd be if he'd given it to Jones and not Hughton, not where we are now that's for sure.

Anyway, it's all about opinions, so if he does well at Southampton feel free to tell me I was wrong!
He also had Reading at home, Murray put them 2-0 up if I remember Steve Clarke then made a mess of it and we got a draw. It wasn’t great.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It strikes me as a really ODD appointment.

He doesn't have the experience for the job, he doesn't have the connection with the club either, or the pulling power of having been a huge international former star player.

All of that applied to Potter, except that Potter has a definite football philosophy and a degree in emotional intelligence to back it up.

I'm not sure that Jones anything extraordinary about him. He employs a style that is effective in the Championship - aerial, direct, wing-backs, good at set pieces, but at Southampton he has small forwards in Walcott, Adams and Adam Armstrong, and defensive players that are not known for being successful when hitting 50 yard passes.

This smacks of Southampton's board just plumping for a cheap but effective Championship manager. I don't expect them to get anything from the Liverpool game but after that he has us, Forest, Villa and Brentford at home, Fulham, Everton and Wolves away at home. I think he has to get at least 11 points from those 8 games.
He has links to the Director of Football at Southampton. I think they are close friends.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He was a youth team coach there before wasn't he?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Wish him all the best and may be a decent fit if he can turn the ship around.

Charlton have the size, stadium. and had the fanbase before. If he's successful there and they back him, no need to jump ship again.
Agreed, maybe given time he can do for the Addicks what he did for the Hatters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I look forward to his surreal interviews.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Charlton “7 (Seven) - 0“ Athletic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here