Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nathan Jones **Joins Charlton 04/02/2023**

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are Saints in financial trouble that they are needing to go cheap…. Would we have been happy after Potter left to have approached Mr Jones ?
Can only speak for myself but I’d have been very underwhelmed but then I wasn’t at Fulham THAT evening :smile:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Are Saints in financial trouble that they are needing to go cheap…. Would we have been happy after Potter left to have approached Mr Jones ?
We didn’t approach him and I can’t remember him ever being mentioned. When Mrs DiS first mentioned this, I felt distinctly underwhelmed on her behalf…… but maybe they’re right.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Well, if you work for a firm that sells photocopiers, pedal bins or ceramic mugs, then that may well be the case.

However, if you're sitting on a 3 year contract with a transfer valuation to your employers of circa £55m....maybe not so much.
I don't think it matters where you work or who you work for. If that's your attitude you're not a 'team player'

See Ronald O at Manure.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Can only speak for myself but I’d have been very underwhelmed but then I wasn’t at Fulham THAT evening :smile:
I was, it was great, but I would have certainly been underwhelmed. In fact, you cannot underestimate (correct use of this phrase in this instance...) how underwhelmed I would have been.

Whilst I originally had my doubts re DeZerbi I would have had no doubts over Jones.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What was wrong with the first thread?

Oh, it was shit, wasn't it.

For the record, he did well at Luton.
He did badly at Stoke because Stoke were a basket case.
He has exceeded expectations back at Luton
He is a ruthless little bastard, not unfamiliar with the dark arts
And he's an interesting fit for Stains.
Absolutely agree. The only question is whether Southampton are also a basket case. Probably not as much as Stoke but they have the feel of a club that is tired of the Premier League. It may just be their time to drop down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely agree. The only question is whether Southampton are also a basket case. Probably not as much as Stoke but they have the feel of a club that is tired of the Premier League. It may just be their time to drop down.
Not so much tired of the Premier League. More like a brood mare that has birthed so many foals she is now spent and barren.

I note that the best years for brood mare production is between 5-10 years...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No worries @warmleyseagull. I was being a bit of an arse for comedy purposes. The other thread title is, in any case, misleading :thumbsup:

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Indeed. The game is still littered with great players = shit managers.

Famously Wenger and Mourinho did f-all as players, but because of their intelligence and charisma they managed to bypass that and carve out amazing managerial careers. You do need incredible strength of personality, ego and belief to manage that trick though.
Think Klopp could be added to this list , Roy Hodgson did fairly well without the ego bit but ultimately won little.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Reminds me of an incident back in the day (90s maybe?) when Southampton appointed a new manager from a lower division - can't remember the bloke's name, sorry. Anyway, at the time Southampton had a youngish player who'd got a couple of England caps - can't remember who that was either ...........................

But at training, on the new manager's first day, his greeting for the new manager was 'Hello, I'm ******* - I'm an England international, don't you know. Would you like my autograph?'
Indeed, Paul Sturrock was the manager and James Beattie (who? exactly) was the player. Sturrock (known as Luggy for reasons that are obvious if you know what he looks like) had actually had a distinguished playing career with Dundee United and Scotland but hadn't played or managed in the Premier League, so Beattie, being an ignorant as well as a self-important tw*t, had never heard of him. Luggy is very widely liked in football and admired for his courageous and uncomplaining fight against Parkinson's, whereas Beattie ... isn't. Funnily enough, his own managerial career lasted just 58 games, all at Accrington Stanley. He won just 16 of them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed, Paul Sturrock was the manager and James Beattie (who? exactly) was the player. Sturrock (known as Luggy for reasons that are obvious if you know what he looks like) had actually had a distinguished playing career with Dundee United and Scotland but hadn't played or managed in the Premier League, so Beattie, being an ignorant as well as a self-important tw*t, had never heard of him. Luggy is very widely liked in football and admired for his courageous and uncomplaining fight against Parkinson's, whereas Beattie ... isn't. Funnily enough, his own managerial career lasted just 58 games, all at Accrington Stanley. He won just 16 of them.
Thanks for filling in the blanks - and a lot more background info. too. :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I wish him well - saints did some “interesting transfer“ business in the summer spending over £80m on very young players (most 18-20) including half of Man City youth team - as Alan Hansen said you don’t win anything with kids
If City were willing to let them go, then I doubt there's a Phil Foden among them. They all looked poor to average against Newcastle on Sunday.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Jones is a very strange character.
My son in law is a season ticket holder at Luton and has a friend on the staff who’s told him several instances of Nathan’s, shall we say, unusual methods of man management. One involved screaming the lyrics of”My Way” into the face of a player who disagreed with him.
Very strongly rumoured that Nathan and Luton’s CEO haven’t spoken face to face since his return from Stoke, they speak through intermediaries.
Also, next time Saints are on the telly, look at Jones fingers. They are all taped because he chews his nails so badly during games, they bleed.
Saying that, he is a very driven individual, who could just pull it off through sheer willpower.
Quite an interesting story that.

I have met him a few times and I formed a personal opinion that I thought he was a bit of a " NobEdd "

Now granted I wasn't in his company very long and maybe I just misunderstood him but I just thought the way he was acting he was right up his own ass. However I will give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe I was the one having a bad day those days.

Southampton isn't really the type of Club that will put up with someone like Nathan for too long. Unless he just happens to go in there and win 6 in a row or something but I doubt that. Top sides will slaughter Southampton under Nathan Jones.

His achievements at Luton aren't that heroic. Look at how all the teams in the Championship are constrained together with very few pints between them.

But good luck to the guy. He works really hard. He just has the personality of a peacock .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just been talking about this to a fellow Albionite, in the same way the his Villa tenure has effectively scuppered any chance Stevie G had of replacing Klopp at Liverpool, if Nathan fails at St Mary's and possibly gets relegated will that put him out of the frame if Roberto ever gets tempted back to one of the big jobs in the Old Country?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here