Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones' Comments on the Atmosphere this Saturday

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm another one that doesn't get the Jones hate. Why should there ALWAYS be someone to hate at the club. It seems like some supporters are never happy until they have found a bone to pick with the club, be it a player (barnes/lopez), management (dull oscar/jones), or people like Barber. Can't we just get behind the team for once without this petty sniping. We have two massive home games coming up which give us an opportunity to take three points out of two of our promotion rivals. This is not time to sit back and wait to be entertained, this is the time for us to step up and play our part too. :albion2:

This and, as with Spongy, I can't wait for the next two home games. Win those, and I'd reckon that we just need to win six out of our last 12 -- putting us on 73 points -- to make the play-offs.
Sometimes there are better things to do in life than whinge.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That, or similar, yes. Controversy or adversity more generally, where the crowd feels that we've suffered an injustice.

One thing I am surprised about, after the Withdean years, is that the crowd do not get more fired up by opposing managers and support staff. I really thought that with the wonderful West Stand towering over the dugouts, we'd get some great atmosphere sparked by some of the more flamboyant, controversial or downright hated opposition managers but we don't. I guess it's symptomatic of not many people being that close to it. At Withdean a sizeable percentage of the crowd were very close to the benches and could see what was going on there and react accordingly.

Good point. I reckon only Justin Edinburgh managed to really motivate the crowd this season, although I was sitting in the WSL for that game, so noticed his antics and ego more. That said, we have got that overgrown prefect followed by baggyjaws in the next two games and all they have to do is exude their persona and, hopefully, the crowd will respond.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This and, as with Spongy, I can't wait for the next two home games. Win those, and I'd reckon that we just need to win six out of our last 12 -- putting us on 73 points -- to make the play-offs.
Sometimes there are better things to do in life than whinge.

I've got a good feeling about the next 2 but I think 75 will be the minimum needed this year. Looks to me like we have to overhaul Forest if we are to make play offs. They are stuttering and 2 of their next 3 are against Barnsley and Donny. Will be interesting to see how those go, if they get blanks then 73 may well be enough

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
True but only until the Italian fella learns the lingo. I'm guessing he won't be short on personality when the time comes, seems a bit animated.

Don't bank on it. Look at Pocchetino at Southampton! I am sure he speaks perfectly good English, but all the interviews are still done through an interpreter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Don't bank on it. Look at Pocchetino at Southampton! I am sure he speaks perfectly good English, but all the interviews are still done through an interpreter.

Agree with this. Unless you're Mourinho or Ferguson, who are highly adept at using the media as a tool, what a dull chore it must be.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think perhaps people are a bit snobby when it comes to Jonesy.

Gus and Tanno were hugely decorated top class players, just as Oscar was in his day. Nathan, by comparison, never had a particularly glittering career and we were the biggest club he ever played for, back when we were pretty toilet.

We've perhaps been a bit spoiled in recent years with a few big names about the place, not just on the coaching staff, but on the pitch too with the likes of Bridge, Vicente and Upson. So poor old Nathan just doesn't really compare, even though statistics prove that the best players very rarely make the best managers.

Nathan's alright, he's just not very box office when you compare him with some of his predecessors. Even Oatway, as limited a player as he was, held a special place in our hearts for his years of loyal service.

Give Nathan a break. He's alright

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Those saying that Nathan isn't very passionate and articulate and because of this doesn't care about our club need only look at our last boss.
Mr P was passionate & articulate for years and even after he'd secretly told the board he wanted out. And he seemed ever so passionate and committed at the fans end of season meal. It all seemed to be the case right up to the point he actually walked out, even had me fooled.
Just because he's not a naturally good orator, doesn't mean he's not committed to the job

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
is that the football recently has been, well, a bit boring.

The Amex seems at its most vocal when the ref makes a mistake.
It's the bizarre problem of 'always' winning.

At the Amex how often have we, the fans, been called upon because of the team is desperate for a goal.

Wigan ended up a cracking atmosphere, had we 1-0ed it, the game would have been just another victory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here