Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones' Comments on the Atmosphere this Saturday

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Early night then? Yeah right.

No negatives from me tomorrow, all positive encouragement (there is no Hammond anymore is there?)

Yes mate I swear!!!!! I have some large gaps in my memory that need filling after Millwall last week ???:(:facepalm:

Went out for a couple last night so a day off today......

Saying that I've got my Exams for my course today so if I do well I may have a couple this afternoon before she gets home from work ;)

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Loved him at Withdean. Not such a big fan now.

However, I find it baffling how so many people can criticise his coaching style or ability without having ever seen him take a training session, spoken to him about his approach to football or spoken to any players about how they find him on the training ground.

So why are you not such a big fan now then?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well, it appears that Nathan can spot a turkey of a footballer extremely well - see Obika. That said I think Stephens is a very good player.

Re the media - this 'ASKED' argument was rolled out for Gus' BS media work too. Bottom-line is Gus was appalling in his press dealings, and Nathan offers inane platitudes.

In this instance what do people want Jones to say? The club probably wanted him to make some comments about how important the crowd is as they try and ramp up last-minute ticket sales.

Part of the problem I think is that these days there is far more coverage of clubs. A lot of websites - including the club's - carry stories every day, often more than one. Sometimes these are going to be a bit tame. Nobody's fault. Just a consequence of the 24/7 type coverage people expect these days.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So why are you not such a big fan now then?

I just don't like the way he behaved at Yeovil against us. It is not like I dislike him though. Far from it.

But I don't care if he gives the occasional clichéd interview. His job is performing on the training ground and I, like I suspect 99 per cent of other posters on here, have no inside information about that side of his job.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I just don't like the way he behaved at Yeovil against us. It is not like I dislike him though. Far from it.

But I don't care if he gives the occasional clichéd interview. His job is performing on the training ground and I, like I suspect 99 per cent of other posters on here, have no inside information about that side of his job.

Fair enough.

A fair few of our fans seem to have attached the signings of Obika and Stephens to his name. With Obika this doesn't quite add up as we were reportedly after him last year as well. Stephens perhaps he had an input (although probably not a great amount as Jones was the development coach at Charlton, not the assistant manager) but I very much doubt either were 'his' signings.

Unfair to use this as a stick to beat him with, as you’ve pointed out is the same with criticising his coaching work.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fair enough.

A fair few of our fans seem to have attached the signings of Obika and Stephens to his name. With Obika this doesn't quite add up as we were reportedly after him last year as well. Stephens perhaps he had an input (although probably not a great amount as Jones was the development coach at Charlton, not the assistant manager) but I very much doubt either were 'his' signings.

Unfair to use this as a stick to beat him with, as you’ve pointed out is the same with criticising his coaching work.

Agree. And even if they were recommended by Jones - which we don't know they were - Oscar, David Burke et al would presumably have seen scouting reports etc before agreeing to it.

It is not like Jones goes: "We had an alright centre forward at Yeovil" and Oscar, Barber, Burke et al just go: "Cool, get on the phone and we'll sign him tomorrow."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can we burst into a bit of this on Saturday please!?

I think we need to show a little bit of love!

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The crowd need to get behind the team and remain vocal throughout the game. The management and players are trying to be as subtle as possible and say we don't make enough noise on a constant basis , we need to notch up the atmosphere and make The Amex a bit more intimidating for the away side.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The crowd need to get behind the team and remain vocal throughout the game. The management and players are trying to be as subtle as possible and say we don't make enough noise on a constant basis , we need to notch up the atmosphere and make The Amex a bit more intimidating for the away side.

You lead and I'll follow. Where are you sitting tomorrow?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Part of the problem is - aside from groups of people who sing not necessarily being sat near each other and the acoustics of the stadium appearing to project noise back on the supporters rather than out towards other stands - is that the football recently has been, well, a bit boring.

The Amex seems at its most vocal when the ref makes a mistake.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

We're too much of a typical southern crowd, down from the Sussex villages for a cup of tea and get home as quick as you can. We are too middle class in demographic. It is what it is. More beers need to be consumed, more people need to make a home game 'a proper day out', let themselves go and have a bloody good time!

Saturday nights should be spent nursing a sore throat and keeping the onset of a hangover at bay!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm getting a little bored of "Nathan Jones says...." being the headline on the argus all the bloody time.

But in every other respect I have no reason not to like the man.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Amex seems at its most vocal when the ref makes a mistake.

That, or similar, yes. Controversy or adversity more generally, where the crowd feels that we've suffered an injustice.

One thing I am surprised about, after the Withdean years, is that the crowd do not get more fired up by opposing managers and support staff. I really thought that with the wonderful West Stand towering over the dugouts, we'd get some great atmosphere sparked by some of the more flamboyant, controversial or downright hated opposition managers but we don't. I guess it's symptomatic of not many people being that close to it. At Withdean a sizeable percentage of the crowd were very close to the benches and could see what was going on there and react accordingly.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
On a general point, I have a pathological aversion to wanting to listen to anything said by an assistant manager. It just doesn't matter, they are not the decision maker, and even if they were being candid and interesting (and Jones isn't most of the time) the real manager might think something else.

It was the same with bloody Phelan at Man Utd during Fergie's BBC ban. Really, who cared what he said?

I like Garcia, I think he is a really good coach who has done a fine job post-Poyet shambles and with the injuries, and not everyone can be a stand-up comedian. But Christ, between the two of them it most be the most dreary double act for sound-bites in football history.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You lead and I'll follow. Where are you sitting tomorrow?

250 miles away but I'll be doing my usual bit of joining in at Bolton on the 15th.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That, or similar, yes. Controversy or adversity more generally, where the crowd feels that we've suffered an injustice.

One thing I am surprised about, after the Withdean years, is that the crowd do not get more fired up by opposing managers and support staff. I really thought that with the wonderful West Stand towering over the dugouts, we'd get some great atmosphere sparked by some of the more flamboyant, controversial or downright hated opposition managers but we don't. I guess it's symptomatic of not many people being that close to it. At Withdean a sizeable percentage of the crowd were very close to the benches and could see what was going on there and react accordingly.

I agree. I remember one opposition manager - it may have been Neil Warnock - describing Withdean as one of the most partisan crowds he had experienced, or something similar to that (I forgot the actual quote). Every decision by the officials questioned etc.

That seems to have been lost at The Amex. As you say, probably because people are a lot further away from the pitch, the dug-out etc.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
On a general point, I have a pathological aversion to wanting to listen to anything said by an assistant manager. It just doesn't matter, they are not the decision maker, and even if they were being candid and interesting (and Jones isn't most of the time) the real manager might think something else.

It was the same with bloody Phelan at Man Utd during Fergie's BBC ban. Really, who cared what he said?.

Good job you're not a Watford fan. The goalkeeping coach does all the interviews!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I agree. I remember one opposition manager - it may have been Neil Warnock - describing Withdean as one of the most partisan crowds he had experienced, or something similar to that (I forgot the actual quote). Every decision by the officials questioned etc.

That seems to have been lost at The Amex. As you say, probably because people are a lot further away from the pitch, the dug-out etc.

The most expensive seats surround the dug outs so I suspect the occupants are rather too nice to be intimidating unlike Withdean where those of us in the South Stand were happy and ready to have a go at anyone including Attila's choice of music!

Having said that a number of managers have referred to the noise created at the Amex and even Dean Wilkins in today's Argus comments on the great atmosphere. He says " The Amex is wonderful. As a home crowd they really get behind their team. It's great to see."

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good job you're not a Watford fan. The goalkeeping coach does all the interviews!

True but only until the Italian fella learns the lingo. I'm guessing he won't be short on personality when the time comes, seems a bit animated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here