Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name any world class players who have played in the Championship/ old Div 1

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Allan Simonsen. In 1977, he was European Footballer of the Year. Five years later, he scores the winning goal for Barcelona in the European cup winners' Cup Final. Who does he move to in the summer?

Charlton Athletic in the English Second Division!

SimonsenCharlton.jpg

I was told from a very reliable source that he was on £2k per game with a bonus of £1k per goal he scored and £1k per point Charlton got, which in those days was a lot of money for a footballer. He also lived in Denmark and flew to the nearest airport to where Charlton were playing Saturday morning, was picked up by chauffeur and taken to the ground and back home again after the game and the other players resented this treatment. He was at home in Denmark while they were still on the coach on the M1.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
Bobby Moore played in Div 2 for Fulham in 1975, world cup winning captain.
If you can better that I'd like to see it, got to be without doubt the best player to play outside the top flight.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Attilo Lombardo for palace was a true world class player, the most skillful player I have seen.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are some very very strange interpretations of "world class" in this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
some very generous definitions of world class here!

Quite. No wonder English football is in it's current poor state if David James and Wayne Bridge were deemed world class.

Seagulls Downunder

Mar 3, 2008
Sydney
George Best played in that Fulham team as well, didn't he?

Your right I'd forgotten all about him, although I think he played later about 77.
They also had Alan Mullery, Barry Lloyd & Teddy Maybank during that period 75 to 77 and I'm not calling them world class just making a statement.

If it came to an all time world 11 would either Best or Moore get in it, I'm not sure. Best unfortunately never got to prove himself on the world stage, was he world class ? of course he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here