Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Prostate Cancer

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
For starters, this is a not look at me thread, but a genuine gentle warning to the gents on here.
I briefly mentioned on a thread that I had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer.
My story so far......

In Oct 22, I went to my docs, as I had lost weight.
She sent me off to have a full blood test.
Results came back with a PSA level of 9.58.
MRI scan came back with a 10mm area that couldn't be explained in my prostrate.
After having 20 biopsies taken from prostrate, I was diagnosed with PC.
I was given 2 choices of procedures, either a radical prostatectomy or radio therapy.
I opted for the latter, where in Dec 22, I had my prostrate removed at Charing Cross hospital.
I go back there later next month, to hear the histology of the alien that they taken out of me and the latest PSA reading I have from another blood test.
If reading 0 or 0.1, then the cancer has been removed.
Anything above, then I'm on radio therapy, for a certain amount of time.
PSA levels will be checked every 3 months, going forward.

I'm not looking at preaching to tell you all what to to, just my attitude to this has been to take all that comes at me in a positive view.
As there is no definitive symptoms to show that one has got PC, I do urge all to get checked out, if you feel you have the slightest issue with weight or wee issues.
If I hadn't pursued this, I'd probably be on an RIP thread sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

Mrs AR has been great in supporting me, as I don't know where I'd be otherwise.
:cheers:

Really good of you to have posted that. Hope that the results are as required. Really good that folk keep this on the agenda as its not the sort of thing that many of us will do that readilly. I got mine checked out recently, blood test plus an internal. Not pleasant but means I know that I've done what I can. It seems to be quite a sympton free issue at times so they should really be screening for men over 50 but with the NHS run down............ another thread I guess.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had mine out with an epidural, some lovely woozy drugs, while listening to The Cocteau Twins on headphones. I think the procedure is even less invasive now ... Not that that's important.

All good now and don't have to get up for a piss in the night.

49 when it got spotted. I thought that was too young to worry about such stuff. I was wrong.

Be sensible out there chaps.

And many thanks to people like @AmexRuislip for keeping this in people's thoughts. And the very best of luck with your results.

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
Wow, sorry you’re going through this, sir. Sending you all positive vibes for a healthy outcome.

I can fully endorse your advice to get checked.

If you are a bit nervous or shy about getting checked (unfortunately there is only one way of getting to it short of surgery so, don’t be daft, get an appointment ASAP.

It’s a little uncomfortable sure, but the discomfort is very short-lived. And, remember, while you stare at the wall praying for it to end, just think about the doctors view. 😩👌

Look after yourselves. Pob lwc.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Really good of you to have posted that. Hope that the results are as required. Really good that folk keep this on the agenda as its not the sort of thing that many of us will do that readilly. I got mine checked out recently, blood test plus an internal. Not pleasant but means I know that I've done what I can. It seems to be quite a sympton free issue at times so they should really be screening for men over 50 but with the NHS run down............ another thread I guess.
I believe there are a couple of reasons they don’t screen everybody. Firstly, PSA is useful but not particularly accurate so I suppose it could lead to an awful lot of false alarms. Secondly, there’s likely to be a sizeable proportion of men over 50 carrying some cancer in the prostate. That would swamp the NHS, even in better times. Many will never have any issues with their prostate cancer and die, possibly decades later, of something else entirely. Some prostate cancer grows very, very slowly and I’ve read there’s some debate in the medical profession over whether the lowest grade currently should even be deemed ‘cancer’, with all the potential stress and connotations that carries. Mass screening could cause a lot of unnecessary concern and, possibly, lead to a demand for surgery that isn’t really justified. Unless you need your prostate whipped out pronto because it’s life and death, the risks don’t necessarily outweigh the benefit. At least, not immediately.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I believe there are a couple of reasons they don’t screen everybody. Firstly, PSA is useful but not particularly accurate so I suppose it could lead to an awful lot of false alarms. Secondly, there’s likely to be a sizeable proportion of men over 50 carrying some cancer in the prostate. That would swamp the NHS, even in better times. Many will never have any issues with their prostate cancer and die, possibly decades later, of something else entirely. Some prostate cancer grows very, very slowly and I’ve read there’s some debate in the medical profession over whether the lowest grade currently should even be deemed ‘cancer’, with all the potential stress and connotations that carries. Mass screening could cause a lot of unnecessary concern and, possibly, lead to a demand for surgery that isn’t really justified. Unless you need your prostate whipped out pronto because it’s life and death, the risks don’t necessarily outweigh the benefit. At least, not immediately.
This is trueish but if you have symptoms associated with the condition you should get tested......universal screening is a matter for funding..

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
My Oncologist referred to them as tiger and pussy cat tumours. I think I remember a survey of deceased gentleman in Detroit in their 50’s found traces of PC in 50% of them. That is why watchful waiting, where the PSA is monitored on a regular basis, is an option. For record my PSA was 1.5 when first detected, three months later it was 6.0. Time for the Rads.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
My Oncologist referred to them as tiger and pussy cat tumours. I think I remember a survey of deceased gentleman in Detroit in their 50’s found traces of PC in 50% of them. That is why watchful waiting, where the PSA is monitored on a regular basis, is an option. For record my PSA was 1.5 when first detected, three months later it was 6.0. Time for the Rads.
Good luck buddy. I wish you the very best.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
For starters, this is a not look at me thread, but a genuine gentle warning to the gents on here.
I briefly mentioned on a thread that I had been diagnosed with prostrate cancer.
My story so far......

In Oct 22, I went to my docs, as I had lost weight.
She sent me off to have a full blood test.
Results came back with a PSA level of 9.58.
MRI scan came back with a 10mm area that couldn't be explained in my prostrate.
After having 20 biopsies taken from prostrate, I was diagnosed with PC.
I was given 2 choices of procedures, either a radical prostatectomy or radio therapy.
I opted for the latter, where in Dec 22, I had my prostrate removed at Charing Cross hospital.
I go back there later next month, to hear the histology of the alien that they taken out of me and the latest PSA reading I have from another blood test.
If reading 0 or 0.1, then the cancer has been removed.
Anything above, then I'm on radio therapy, for a certain amount of time.
PSA levels will be checked every 3 months, going forward.

I'm not looking at preaching to tell you all what to do, just my attitude to this has been to take all that comes at me in a positive view.
As there are no definitive symptoms to show that one has got PC, I do urge all to get checked out, if you feel you have the slightest issue with weight or wee issues.
If I hadn't pursued this, I'd probably be on an RIP thread sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

Mrs AR has been great in supporting me, as I don't know where I'd be otherwise.
:cheers:

good luck with it mate , i had to have mine removed 5 yrs ago , 3 monthly blood tests to monitor psa.

i had no symptoms and my psa was only 5.6 but my prostate was 40% affected i.e 40% tumour.

it is an increasingly more common issue and affecting men earlier , i met a chap at my urologist who was 34 ...!! so yeah , be aware of it...all the best.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Best of luck with it, and do update us all if you get a follow up result.

Having just turned 40 but with family history, you’re making me think about a test every few years and then stepping it up in future if any signs creep in. Thanks to other posters too for discussion of what those might be like.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Best of luck with it, and do update us all if you get a follow up result.

Having just turned 40 but with family history, you’re making me think about a test every few years and then stepping it up in future if any signs creep in. Thanks to other posters too for discussion of what those might be like.
just get your PSA done as part of a normal blood test ....easy :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Afternoon NSC folk.
Another :bounce: for PSA tests.
After my blood test to check my latest PSA levels post op.
I was apprehensive about seeing my consultant today.
Came out very happy after being told reading was undetectable.
So now watch and wait, every 3 months, and no radiotherapy at the moment.

So please do get checked out.
:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Afternoon NSC folk.
Another :bounce: for PSA tests.
After my blood test to check my latest PSA levels post op.
I was apprehensive about seeing my consultant today.
Came out very happy after being told reading was undetectable.
So now watch and wait, every 3 months, and no radiotherapy at the moment. :thumbsup:
Great news.....:thumbsup:

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
A few years ago I found out I had a small prostate cancer with no signs or symptoms. I go every 6 months for a check . My PSA is 12 but they said that all looks the same so come back in 6 months .
I just heard yesterday that a close relative aged 45 has backache and the doctor found a lump so it’s all happening for him at this moment in time . Please get checked if you are 40 and above.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here