Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My letter to the Football League Show - for the attention of Mr Claridge

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I thought he compiled the reports himself and yes they were rather good.

Having not listened to Claridge's comments, that is exactly what they are, and his opinion, but I thought the letter was well written. I had thoght though that Claridge had completed some form of jurnolist course, when he was with Ian Ridley.

Thanks for that. This tends to reinforce the point I was trying to make, which is that there is more to Claridge than his appearances on the FL show - where he is effectively restricted to soundbites - would suggest. It would be interesting to read his view on one or two of our current squad, in particular whether they have what it takes to make the step up to the Championship.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I still find the most annoying thing how he was raving about the style of play of Doncaster at the start of the season and now seems to claim their style of play, and seemingly ours, cannot be successful. Fickle, stupid man.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I have a question for the Claridge-bashers. Do you also moan about Andy Naylor's pieces? If so, somewhat ironically, you have given him work and a piece to write about. If the offending piece had been ignored then Naylor probably wouldn't have got Gus' opinion and there would have been no story.

We wouldn't have got Gus saying 'bullshit' though!

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I wrote this to the FLS: After the Rochdale game
To Whom it may concern.
On Saturday evening's Football League Show, Steve Claridge incorrectly justified the referees decision to award Rochdale a penalty against Brighton.
This relates to Claridge stating " the game is active when the referee blows his whistle " this justifies the referees decision, but contradicts the laws of FIFA, and thus making Claridge's explanation wrong.
In FIFA'S laws of the game it states
Law 13 – free kicks: the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves.
Law 14 – the penalty kick: A penalty kick is awarded against the team that commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free kick is awarded (strikes an opponent etc), inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play.

This then means no penalty should have been awarded as the ball had not been kicked.
Please also note, I am an experienced and fully qualified referee.
I would also like Mr Claridge to make an apology on next weeks show.
-------------
And he did !

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
But Tooting Gull - I wrote the letter for my benefit - not yours.

Dear Sir,

I am genuinely glad you benefitted from writing this. Having just read it (I accept it was a draft hence spelling errors) I too benefitted as I found it quite amusing.

Regards

My Name Is Gully

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I love the way you switch between polite formality (Sir, Kind Regards etc.) and downright abuse

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Shit, there's some pompous over opinionated posters on this thread ( and it isn't DT ! ).

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i thought it was rather funny myself...!!! unfortunately claridge probably still has thousands of fans who think he's a legend and everything he says is WORD.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Kind of agree with the sentiment , however with over 1800 hits on this thread and no doubt countless more on other boards around the country, I guess the BBC and Claridge being controversial are achieving their aim.

Personally I only ever watch MOD or Football League show recorded, and can assure you Claridge and any other pundits are squeaking at x30 speed (the ratio of punditry in programmes seems to have increased greatly and quality of it reduced, 'cos we can't understand the game without it, right ??)

Think Brian Clough summed it up at 3.14 in his interview with dickhead here, rings true even more so now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Claridge is prophesisng and probaby misinformed. He seems to read most of his opinions from a prompt or sheet. What he has said is nothing criminal, just ill advised and not particularly ground breaking.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I liked the letter, I am glad you posted it on here and i hope that you post their reply, as i am sure you will get one no matter how short it may be.

What i do not understand is why some people are getting their knickers in a twist over the fact that it was sent and / or posted on NSC! If someone wants to post a letter or start a thread that has no bearing or effect on your life, let them, especialy if they found it in someway beneficial, dont crucify them! You have no idea if the BBC producer will hand it to SC and say 'lets keep the viewers happy hey Steve' or they may have found someone better for next season and are looking for an excuse to move him off the show. You just dont know, do you?

DT wrote a letter and i enjoyed reading it. Those who haven't written a letter....well i got zero enjoyment from your apathy. 1-0 to DT on my enjoyment-o-meter. Cheers DT.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Should really have used your spell checker before having a dig at someone elses grasp of the English language, but i think your point was made.

Indeed, and grammar. I worked out the wording by sheer luck, and I could still be wrong.

But fair call 'Digweeds...' if you feel passionate enough to tell them how you feel then go ahead and do it. The only thing I fear is telling people on here, for some reason Brighton fans on NSC love to hate other Brighton fans on NSC, should have kept it quiet maybe. I'll never understand the downright abuse between Brighton fans on this wonderful forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here