Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My letter to the Football League Show - for the attention of Mr Claridge

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm probably on my own here. But I thought what Claridge was saying wasn't that the style of play we use can't work, more that with the players we have now it wouldn't work in the Championship. Due to them probably not being the quality of player you need to play as such in the championship i.e faster/stronger etc.

Which is kinda what Gus has suggest himself by saying that if we have 10 players out of contract only 4 will possibly get a contract.

Ditto, just how I read it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Claridge said things on air about our football style which the majority of Albion fans would disagree with. DT has written a letter of protest, and good luck to him. It certainly made me laugh.

I think the reality of the situation is that the BBC appointed Claridge not because he is the all-intelligent oracle of all things football, but because he is opinionated and his views will provoke a reaction. It's the same logic behind the appointment of Mike Parry on the BBC's 606 Show, the same reasoning why they appoint David Mellor all those years ago.

Personally, I find the provocative pundit a tad tedious and much prefer the more cerebral "Sunday Supplement" football discussion between the Fleet Street journalists, or the Monday night Radio 5 Live shows with Gab Marcotti, Andy Dunn and Ian McGarry. It's much more fun to listen to two journalists arguing or comparing rumours than a clowns like Claridge or Parry.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Precisley. Maybe I am a pedantic silly old man. But I write letters to newspapers, I write letters to local politicians - I enjoy writing letters. Not usually in this style but I do not write letters expecting either results or response.

But it is my perogative to share my opinion in which ever way I choose.

Its somewhat odd that some people post on an internet message board stating that its pointless to write to people or share an opinion - is that not what everyone on here does day in day out?

Isn't that what Claridge is doing, sharing HIS opinion?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Come Saturday night I expect Claridge to make some remark about "better be careful what I say or I'll incur the wrath of the Brighton fans". I might actually bother watching.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A bit more lucid than most of the E mails to that show that the blonde bint reads out. What's more we now know who Angry of Tunbridge Wells is.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Digweeds Trousers

you should have used a mass mailer and sent 1000's lol

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
thought you overdid the pompous tone at points but mostly funny stuff and bang on target

I did. Probably becuase I can be a pompous, attention-seeking windbag who is caught up in the narcissitic view that his opinion is of interest to others. I posted here becuase I am an attention-seeking, self-important gasbag who enjoys the feeliong of seeing other people either slate me or agree.

Exactly the same as every single person that posts on here. We all love it. I particularly love the irony of people stating that it is attention-seeking to send the letter and to post it here and then stating that they sent a better, more lucid and letter to other establishments.

if that not just trumped my pomposity I dont know what does!!!

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Too over the top for anyone to take seriously. If it makes Digweeds Trousers feel better then so be it.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Am I the only one on here who thought that Claridge's series of "scouting reports" on lower league players in the Grauniad a couple of years back were actually quite good, even allowing for the fact that he probably had some help in writing them? They certainly gave me an insight into the way a player's strengths and weaknesses are judged by a fellow professional. That said, he did give Dean Hammond a good write-up, as I recall.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
If it's for the attention of Mr Claridge on NSC, have you tried pm-ing him?

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
O
You have too much time on your hands to be that bothered about an opinion given by a football pundit, and also a little bit sad to think that what he said actually matters and affects your life somehow (it's not as if it's libellous or anything). Pundits are surely allowed to give their opinion, no?

Maybe im COMPETELY missing the point but what EXACTLY would this achieve? It's HIS opinion. Its probably wrong but it's still his opinion.

eeeeees complicated.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I did. Probably becuase I can be a pompous, attention-seeking windbag who is caught up in the narcissitic view that his opinion is of interest to others. I posted here becuase I am an attention-seeking, self-important gasbag who enjoys the feeliong of seeing other people either slate me or agree.

Exactly the same as every single person that posts on here. We all love it. I particularly love the irony of people stating that it is attention-seeking to send the letter and to post it here and then stating that they sent a better, more lucid and letter to other establishments.

if that not just trumped my pomposity I dont know what does!!!

The pompous tone made it funny, I realise it is sardonic and deliberate. I've enjoyed your posts lately for the same reasons. I accept all charges as far as they apply to me. Sorry, bored.

edit: on rereading, i'm not sure if you're having a go at me or not anymore. oh well.

Last edited:

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
not having a go at anyone Mr livingstone Seagull. As I said to bensGrandad - we all take flak on here at one time or another and yet keep posting.

More power you - as Kenneth Williams may have said 'carry on writing'.

And anyway - you cant please all of the people all of the time - if we did it would be a very dull world. I enjoy controversy, I embrace pomposity, I gently kiss the forehead of hypocrisy and stroke the flaxen hair of the ludicrous xx

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Am I the only one on here who thought that Claridge's series of "scouting reports" on lower league players in the Grauniad a couple of years back were actually quite good, even allowing for the fact that he probably had some help in writing them? They certainly gave me an insight into the way a player's strengths and weaknesses are judged by a fellow professional. That said, he did give Dean Hammond a good write-up, as I recall.

I thought he compiled the reports himself and yes they were rather good.

Having not listened to Claridge's comments, that is exactly what they are, and his opinion, but I thought the letter was well written. I had thoght though that Claridge had completed some form of jurnolist course, when he was with Ian Ridley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here