[Music] Musical Geniuses

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Freddie Mercury

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Phil Collins, and before anyone sneers, and states “Groovy Kind of love” or “ sussudio” as to define him, take a look at the people he has worked with.He has Produced albums for Eric Clapton, Robert Plant, and Feda from ABBA, played drums for bands from Bee Gee to Black Sabbath. Created the gated reverb drum sound song of the 80s. His drumming on Genesis Albums is sublime. He can write songs for Disney as well as incredibly complex and odd time signature prog rock classics. Incredible talent that gets derided because he’s seen as uncool.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Rick Wakeman
Benjamin Burnley
Jean Michel Jarre
Keith Emerson
Jeff Lynne
and the greatest of all David Gilmour

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
This thread could just be named 'Musicians that you like'.
I mean Paul Weller has been mentioned a few times. Sure, he tapped into the mood of the nations youth with The Jam, (with some great albums) went college boy weird with The style Council and really hasn't pulled up any trees as a Solo artist, Has he?
Is he any more genius than Glenn Tilbrook or Chris Difford or any artist of the time?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This thread could just be named 'Musicians that you like'.
I mean Paul Weller has been mentioned a few times. Sure, he tapped into the mood of the nations youth with The Jam, (with some great albums) went college boy weird with The style Council and really hasn't pulled up any trees as a Solo artist, Has he?
Is he any more genius than Glenn Tilbrook or Chris Difford or any artist of the time?

Music is, and always should be, subjective.

If you enjoy it and get things out of it, then it's for you.

Costello, Tilbrook et al are miles ahead, imo, of the likes of Bowie.

There is no right or wrong, whatever floats your boat.

If you like it, play it. Proudly.

Forcing someone to be cool and saying 'I like that' because everyone else thinks it's hip kind of destroys what music is for.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can't be bothered to trawl through every page on this (getting even longer) thread, but has anyone mentioned Jeff Lynne? Awesome musician, and great songwriter too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't talk to me about musical geniuses.

I'm currently at work and some psychopath has tuned the TV in, Vintage Bossa Nova.

So I'm currently listening to a Bossa Nova reimagining of 'Dont Let Go' by The New Radicals (?)

People here actually have the nerve to ask 'why are you so grumpy?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here