Leslie West
David Sylvian
Lee Perry
Steve Jones
Ivor Cutler
Bob Marley
Prince Far I
Siouxie
Stanislav Martensitov (Fraunhofer Diffraction)
Rory Gallagher
Joseph Saddler (Grand Master Flash)
Don Van Vleit (Captain Beefhart)
Steely Dan (I'm dodging bands but here the sum is better than the parts, so)
10cc (ditto)
Graham Gouldman of 10cc (special mention for his writing)
Arthur Brown
Robert Fripp
Elizabeth Fraser
Peter Hook
Back Door (another band, my bad)
Andy LaPlegua (Icon of Coil and several other bands)
Adrian Hates
Tom Waites
Richard D James (Aphex Twin)
Declan McManus (Elvis Costello)
Paul Weller
Cool Keith (Dr Octagon)
Alan Stivell
Martin Carthy
Daniel Myer and Dejan Samardzic (Haujobb)
The Doors
John Baine (Attila the Stockbroker)

I could go on and normally would.

I can wax lyrically in justification of all these (innovation, longevity, sincerity etc) but it boils down to personal taste though, innit?

Broad tastes HWT 👍. Saw Back Door at they 100 Club a few decades back!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When it comes to music, I do think that the ‘biggest’ acts in the World have a totally unique sound. Maybe unique is the wrong word, what I mean is that if you hear a song by Queen, for instance, that you have never heard before, you immediately know it’s Queen.
They just don’t sound like anyone else, U2, are the same,as is The Stones, The Beatles, Springsteen, Bowie, The Beach Boys Dylan,etc.

This post is not an endorsement of all of the above acts, I’m not saying they’re the best, just the biggest.

OK let's talk biggest and my personal faves. Iron Maiden and Metallica have both been around since early 80's, both sold between 90 million and 120 million records, both still sell out arenas and stadiums, multiple no. 1 albums in the past and present in various countries. Metallica's 1991 Black album is in top 20 selling albums of all time selling around 39 million copies.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we all knew this would be the longest and probably most complete list! I’d just like to add Bill Nelson (Be Bop Deluxe fame) and Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash) as my own personal geniuses

Seconded!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some not (as far as I've seen) mentioned but that I think belongs on a list:

Cab Calloway
Herbie Hancock
George Clinton
Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000)
Larry Levan
Curtis Mayfield
Fela Kuti
Bob Marley

Joseph Saddler (Grand Master Flash)

Cant agree with that one. Melle Mel was the only thing close to a musical genius in Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, writing some excellent tracks (including the first rap songs to do any social commentary). GMF was never a genius. He did very little work on all of their hits and was skill and creativity wise surpassed by a lot of DJs very quickly. Him winning tons of awards and shit is just evidence that hiphop is still not taken seriously as he did feck all but being a credible face that Sugar Hill Records could use to sell records to then hardcore hiphoppers who didnt buy into the Sugarhill Gang crap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some not (as far as I've seen) mentioned but that I think belongs on a list:

Cab Calloway
Herbie Hancock
George Clinton
Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000)
Larry Levan
Curtis Mayfield
Fela Kuti
Bob Marley

Cant agree with that one. Melle Mel was the only thing close to a musical genius in Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, writing some excellent tracks (including the first rap songs to do any social commentary). GMF was never a genius. He did very little work on all of their hits and was skill and creativity wise surpassed by a lot of DJs very quickly. Him winning tons of awards and shit is just evidence that hiphop is still not taken seriously as he did feck all but being a credible face that Sugar Hill Records could use to sell records to then hardcore hiphoppers who didnt buy into the Sugarhill Gang crap.

Fair enough.

Nice to see you sobered up later during the day :lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The word genius being liberally sprinkled around. Ridiculously so.

Everyone taking the conversation as a chance to name a musician they like.

Have to agree.

When you watch docos on how Brian Wilson created the Pet Sounds Album that shows an artist with some musical genius.

The same for the likes of Prince and Mike Oldfield and how many different instruments each could contribute to their own albums takes some genius.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Beastie Boys deserve a mention.

Their music evolved and fused so many genres over the years. Artists like Chuck D and LL Cool J when paying tribute to them they give them very high praise for their work.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Everyone just posts their favourite....which is natural.. For me the term genius is unwarranted for music alone . But if used he would have to write and play , at least. I will suggest two names,
Beethoven and Dylan.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mozart was composing at the age of 5 - that’s genius.
I don’t think anyone has mentioned Johann Sebastian Bach yet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here