Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Murray to Watford

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Maybe the benefit is purely that Watford (presumably will be paying most if not all of his wages for this season), although one wonders why he was given an extra year at his age if there was a likelihood he might move on loan. No real benefit to us.

We all said we needed at least 1 new striker in - I would say now make that 2.

Unless we wanted a proven striker to play one tier down should we have failed to retain EPL status?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I thought he might stay as striker coach and emergency striker. Ah well, I am sure Watford see him as a safe pair of feet in the championship. Good luck Glen - see you next year for stint 3.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
To quote a Watford supporting friend of mine:

"He's 36 -- 37 soon. He's not going to be first choice. He's going to come to Watford to sit on the bench and to be quite honest, I can name at least 5 strikers at Watford who are cheaper, already here, and deserve to sit on the bench before Murray's arse touches it. We need first team players as we're going to lose Deeney, Sarr, Welbeck, Delefou and Success. Murray's not a first team player at Watford... so I really don't understand this move."

Can someone explain the benefit to our club of loaning him out , when he is out of contract next year, rather than sell him ?
If the loan has no immediate recall

Because no club will offer transfer money for a player that age? Funding his wages is a win for us

phoenix

May 18, 2009
How much do you get for 37-year-old strikers nowadays?

Try before you buy?

"How much do you get for 37-year-old strikers nowadays"?

*Naff all. Better off getting wages off the books and us for a new player (striker, possibly) . Glen would get next to no time on the pitch .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought he might stay as striker coach and emergency striker. Ah well, I am sure Watford see him as a safe pair of feet in the championship. Good luck Glen - see you next year for stint 3.

I think that was probably the original plan when he extended earlier this year. But I guess the old man is feeling a bit horny and probably asked the club if there was any nice loan deals around. Not necessarily going to be a starter I think, but certainly more minutes than if he stayed.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Makes sense, he'll play more for them than he will for us. He's basically the best ever striker at championship level. Will come back after to coach probably, watford fans won't be happy but he could be the man who gets them back up.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If he has asked for a move to play more football then I think we should try and sell as a loan leaves very little for us next season. Murray is the perfect 4th choice striker for us and I'd prefer we kept him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm glad for Glenn that he's got this move. Despite having a brilliant football brain and plenty of nous he's just not fast enough for the Prem, but the extra time and space you get in the Championship could make this a shrewd acquisition.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What big boots to fill. We absolutely must have some reinforcements incoming. We've also lost a couple of brilliant headers of the football if Shane's off too.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously there's incoming, but I wonder if Gyökeres has impressed in training as well ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What big boots to fill. We absolutely must have some reinforcements incoming. We've also lost a couple of brilliant headers of the football if Shane's off too.

Yep, even more of a problem if DBD is replaced by a Lamptey-esque LWB. That old problem of not being able to defend corners could resurface...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here