NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Xerox-WorkCentre-7535-F-Save-Up-To-70-Off.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Well l think Glenn has done more than enough for this club, twice over, to be allowed to decide whether he wants to finish his career with us by sitting on the bench, or have one last hurrah in the Championship.

Obviously l hope he decides on the first option, but no one can blame him if he chooses pastures new.

As long as he doesn't get brain washed into going back to Croydon FC :shootself

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What? Why would he get less?
I was thinking of a transfer to Forest rather than a loan. Hasnt he just moved so why would he want to go in a hotel away from his home and family for 4 or 5 days of the week/ I dont think that he would as I dont think starting at his age at a new club would be the most important choice.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was thinking of a transfer to Forest rather than a loan. Hasnt he just moved so why would he want to go in a hotel away from his home and family for 4 or 5 days of the week/ I dont think that he would as I dont think starting at his age at a new club would be the most important choice.

Indeed. Now if Pompey should show an interest, that would be a much more sensible choice. League One they may be, but he should find it easier to score goals there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He can chill with his family for another 35 years or so but he can only play professional football for another 6 to 18 months. If he really loves playing, I think he is willing to make some temporary sacrifices at home.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When Murray left us, he had offers from Millwall and Palace. He then went to Bournemouth. All three fairly commutable from Brighton.
I don't think Nottingham is commutable and I doubt he will move there (as in house) because of his family.

Exactly

I never understand the notion why moving to another country (let alone another county) is made into such a big deal?

It's even more bizarre when you're as well paid as professional footballers are. It's really not such a big deal and plenty of people do it.

Without reading the whole thread (so apologies for any repitition) it's because Murray split up with his first Mrs when he first moved here from up north. He then met a local Brighton lass and eventually married her. She's not keen on the family moving and he's obviously scarred by the first split. That's why he went to Palace. Because it was commutable. All this Judas nonsense but, in reality, it was just like me getting made redundant from a job in Brighton and taking a new one next to East Croydon station.

When he was at Bournemouth he was driven there and back from Brighton the same day which must be the max commute you can do, another reason he jumped at the chance to come back. Sauce for this one? His father-in-law who did the driving and also used the car to cab for Taxilink.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He can chill with his family for another 35 years or so but he can only play professional football for another 6 to 18 months. If he really loves playing, I think he is willing to make some temporary sacrifices at home.

Are you saying that Glenn is only goin to live until he is 71? What do you know that we don't? :ohmy:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

As has already been said he has lived in Brighton since before he first left the Albion. So has commuted to Palace, Bournemouth and I imagine Reading when he was on loan there so I am not all convinced that he will be making sacrifices in the twilight of his career. We will see, it’s great man management from Potter to leave the decision up to him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If a loan I would think that the maximum distance would be a London club or if father in law is prepared to drive daily possibly Reading, but certainly no further afield.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As has already been said he has lived in Brighton since before he first left the Albion. So has commuted to Palace, Bournemouth and I imagine Reading when he was on loan there so I am not all convinced that he will be making sacrifices in the twilight of his career. We will see, it’s great man management from Potter to leave the decision up to him.

Great man management? I'd like to think that any manager worth his salt, would do exactly the same thing, given Glenn's loyalty to the club over two seperate spells.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great man management? I'd like to think that any manager worth his salt, would do exactly the same thing, given Glenn's loyalty to the club over two seperate spells.

Doesn’t always work like that though does it, some managers are absolute ********s. Didn’t he have an acrimonious departure from Palace due to a manager messing him about? Or did I just make that up?

Edit, nope don’t think I did. Having got them promoted and suffering a bad injury he was basically pushed out the door. Bizarre that both us and Palace ended up regretting letting him go because the managers didn’t think he was good enough to make the step up, one from League 1 and one from the Championship. He also made both pay big time for their mistakes.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/...s-a-massive-regret-that-we-sold-glenn-murray/

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I never understand the notion why moving to another country (let alone another county) is made into such a big deal?

It's even more bizarre when you're as well paid as professional footballers are. It's really not such a big deal and plenty of people do it.

They do. But if he and his family are settled here he may not wish to do so.

I wouldn't be surprised if he considers his next career move as off pitch.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
We'd just have to rely on the nine others (or strictly speaking, seven, since the DJ and the psycho have departed) who have already scored for us this season to carry on chipping in, eh? Don't think we'll panic-buy a striker in the January window - we did that two years ago. That went well ...............................

Scoring goals isn’t necessarily all they do mate maupay and Connolly run channels and harry opponents constantly nobody else does it as well as those two

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Scoring goals isn’t necessarily all they do mate maupay and Connolly run channels and harry opponents constantly nobody else does it as well as those two

I know they both do a lot of running and harrying. I was replying to a post in which the scenario was what would happen if we lost Maupay to injury - in which case we would have to rely on other players to score the goals if anything happened to Connolly as well..

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I know they both do a lot of running and harrying. I was replying to a post in which the scenario was what would happen if we lost Maupay to injury - in which case we would have to rely on other players to score the goals if anything happened to Connolly as well..

Yer I get that but we shouldn’t allow ourselves to get into a situation where we only go into the second half of the season with potentially only two strikers

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yer I get that but we shouldn’t allow ourselves to get into a situation where we only go into the second half of the season with potentially only two strikers
That would be inconceivable - trust the club.

There is no way that would be allowed.

Even if our longer term Murray replacement is not signed until the summer, we have Mlakar and Gyokeres available to be recalled, Leo Ulloa is a phone call away, Andone may have his loan cancelled but be available from March onwards, or we may sign another loan player etc.

We may not get a £20 million+ striker like Chalov, but we will have someone.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
When Murray left us, he had offers from Millwall and Palace. He then went to Bournemouth. All three fairly commutable from Brighton.
I don't think Nottingham is commutable and I doubt he will move there (as in house) because of his family.

Now you say this put I used to see Ben Watson at St Pancras most mornings with a forest tracksuit on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports