MP stabbed in Yorkshire. ***RIP Jo Cox***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It indicates he volunteered for a scheme that helped people that might have mental health problems, or problems fitting in. Not sure it can be concluded he had a history of mental health at this point.

If those are indeed his words then it strongly suggests he has in the past, and as those that know it never actually goes away.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
There are no doubt a fair few NSC user,s who have visited their local M/P i have of either party and it,s such an open policy make an appointment,turn-up state your case and hope for a positive outcome,this is unreal,sick,sad you know the rest. R-I-P. :down:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It indicates he volunteered for a scheme that helped people that might have mental health problems, or problems fitting in. Not sure it can be concluded he had a history of mental health at this point.

If those are indeed his words then it strongly suggests he has in the past, and as those that know it never actually goes away.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Without wishing to score any political points, the nature of debate on the Referendum has become so febrile and personal (I admit to being guilty of this) that it isn’t difficult to imagine someone with psychological issues picking up on the atmosphere and the demonising and drawing extreme conclusions. Maybe this will make us all wake up to need to have a more evidence- based and less hysterical debate as we enter the last few days before the biggest political decision of most of our lifetimes.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Without wishing to score any political points, the nature of debate on the Referendum has become so febrile and personal (I admit to being guilty of this) that it isn’t difficult to imagine someone with psychological issues picking up on the atmosphere and the demonising and drawing extreme conclusions. Maybe this will make us all wake up to need to have a more evidence- based and less hysterical debate as we enter the last few days before the biggest political decision of most of our lifetimes.

Agreed, 100 %. There should never be any personal attacks in this or any other political debate. Debate the idea not the person. Personalizing of debates has become endemic. The last time this happened was an MP attacked during the Syria bombing debates. Civilised people should be capable of civilized discussion and this is our best defence against violence.

D

Deleted member 22389

Agreed, 100 %. There should never be any personal attacks in this or any other political debate. Debate the idea not the person. Personalizing of debates has become endemic. The last time this happened was an MP attacked during the Syria bombing debates. Civilised people should be capable of civilized discussion and this is our best defence against violence.

Agreed 100%

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
RIP Jo. A lot of people are grieving today unnecessarily and that should be our only concern.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

Nutters like this will always find a reason to do what they do.To assume another approach to campaigning will stop people like this is foolish. The idea that we should change how we do things just on the tiny off-chance we might be murdered is totally wrong.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just can't believe that an MP has been shot dead in our country. Elsewhere it happens, but not here. RIP and my sympathy to the family and friends.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just can't believe that an MP has been shot dead in our country. Elsewhere it happens, but not here. RIP and my sympathy to the family and friends.

absolutely this

RIP Jo Cox

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Nutters like this will always find a reason to do what they do.To assume another approach to campaigning will stop people like this is foolish. The idea that we should change how we do things just on the tiny off-chance we might be murdered is totally wrong.

It might not stop people - or it might - who knows. But this is a timely (and incredibly regrettable) reminder that the loathing and fear stoked up during this Referendum is just appalling. It's got completely out of hand, and politicians on both sides should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. We used to be a respectful nation, welcoming of others - and welcoming of different views. We are turning into a nation of haters who abuse others (with different views) at the drop of a hat. I thought things couldn't get any worse, but today they did.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It might not stop people - or it might - who knows. But this is a timely (and incredibly regrettable) reminder that the loathing and fear stoked up during this Referendum is just appalling. It's got completely out of hand, and politicians on both sides should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. We used to be a respectful nation, welcoming of others - and welcoming of different views. We are turning into a nation of haters who abuse others (with different views) at the drop of a hat. I thought things couldn't get any worse, but today they did.
You can only welcome so many before your identity as a country changes and people don't like change it seems and that is clear on both sides.
The "INS" are shit scared and think we can't cope on our own and think the EU is wonderful.
The "outs" have more passion and want an independent Britain as they believe we will be better off and they don't like the cultural changes and mass immigration that awaits us if we stay.

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003

The point I am making is that the current campaign has gone beyond the way that we normally 'do things' which has impacted on the quality of debate and possibly been a trigger to something much worse. A politician has been murdered which (outside of IRA attacks) is unheard of in modern history and we are in the middle of a very different political campaign, it isn't unreasonable to assume a connection.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
You can only welcome so many before your identity as a country changes and people don't like change it seems and that is clear on both sides.
The "INS" are shit scared and think we can cope on our own and think the EU is wonderful.
The "outs" have more passion and want an independent Britain as they believe we will be better off and they don't like the cultural changes and mass immigration that awaits us if we stay.

I think you've just proved his point

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away

I'm reading this sitting in the US - been here for last two weeks. They are about 5 years ahead of us in terms of converting political discourse into vitriolic personal abuse. If we don't change course now, we will get what we deserve; people challenging for power who have no qualifications other than celebrity and a knack for making populist statements that are, in reality, hugely damaging. The referendum debate has not been as bad as the US presidential debate, but its not far off it. The last General Election wasn't edifying either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The "INS" are shit scared and think we can cope on our own and think the EU is wonderful.

Are you justifying this murder? If so you are a mentalist cock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports