Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Moyes must go" - get your chops around this

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Indeed. You can change your wife, your name, your religion, your gender etc..... but a football club is for life. I have a brother in law who is a Chelsea fan and his sentiments are similar to that of Bushy. Its a shame but that is modern football. Going back to your point that is why I can't stand that bloody Dim Lovejoy, once Watford now Chelsea that is crossing a boundary that is just too far. Unacceptable behaviour. His family should disown him.
I agree with you about modern football, i am one of the first to moan about it being a bit happy clappy, but i also like the fact that i can take my kids into a very safe environment, that wouldnt have been the case in the 80's.

Just to add fuel to the flames, at my work we have:

1 season ticket holder who supports Birmingham, never went to Withdean.
1 season ticket holder who supports Liverpool, never went to withdean.
3 x season ticket holders who Support Brighton, 1 never went to Withdean.

In my local:
2 x season ticket holders who support Chelsea, never went to Withdean.

They are slowly turning, and I welcome them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed. You can change your wife, your name, your religion, your gender etc..... but a football club is for life. I have a brother in law who is a Chelsea fan and his sentiments are similar to that of Bushy. Its a shame but that is modern football. Going back to your point that is why I can't stand that bloody Dim Lovejoy, once Watford now Chelsea that is crossing a boundary that is just too far. Unacceptable behaviour. His family should disown him.
Lovejoy is and always was an embarrassing c*nt. I'll always love the WSC review of his apparently appalling book.

D

Deleted member 22389

Anyone who switches allegiances to another club are not true fans. If for some reason I ever stop supporting going to watch Pala e I would never switch to another club.

I can see by your username you would never switch or though I would prefer SeagullsdestroyEagles, how did the Eagles part get through registration lol
Like me I could never ever support anyone else. My grandfather supported Brighton, my dad supported Brighton. They told me all about your lot lol, and I shall continue that trend if I ever have kids. It's good have a rival and banter. Really is that twitter for real. If real they really don't understand football in the UK.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Your allegiance to a football club usually stems from one of four things.
1) Family....Dad or Brother or Uncle support....you follow the tradition.
2) The winning feeling....when you are young and immature, it is far more appealing to support a winning team than some lesser light. You want to feel comfortable with your mates and not be laughed at.
3) Geography...it is the ' local ' club...closer to home/school....cheaper and easier to get to...etc
4) Some other factor...you like the name...you like the shirt design...the 'why not scenario '

The people who fall into category no.2 grow up knowing nothing but success. e.g Liverpool fans ( 70-80's ) Man.Utd fans ( 93-2013 ) They expect it to go on for ever. It doesn't and when it doesn't, they don't know how to deal with it. They haven't developed any ' football maturity ' They haven't learned how to lose and lose with dignity and with grace. One defeat and they expect to bounce straight back. The older Man Utd fans lived through 26 years of not winning the league ( 67-93 ) and Liverpool fans are getting used to the same run ( approaching 24 years )
People can jump on the big club bandwagon anytime they like, as long as they don't expect any sympathy from the likes of me, when the good times run out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Try not to let it get to you. Just out of interest what made you switch allegiances?

I'd rather not go into the full details. At the time (November 1980) I was a United fan studying at Manchester University and a regular at Old Trafford. I caught the 11:30pm Friday night direct train to Brighton to both see my family and watch the Brighton v United match the following day.

Such was the behaviour of the United fans on the train that night that by the time the train arrived in Brighton at 6am the following morning I had switched allegiance.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
I'd rather not go into the full details. At the time (November 1980) I was a United fan studying at Manchester University and a regular at Old Trafford. I caught the 11:30pm Friday night direct train to Brighton to both see my family and watch the Brighton v United match the following day.

Such was the behaviour of the United fans on the train that night that by the time the train arrived in Brighton at 6am the following morning I had switched allegiance.

A chap I know in his 60s has swapped from Spurs to the Albion for very similar reasons. He is/was a lifelong Spurs fan, but regularly goes to the Albion with his grand son as he couldn't stand the sinister atmosphere and fans at White Hart Lane anymore.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The people who fall into category no.2 grow up knowing nothing but success. e.g Liverpool fans ( 70-80's ) Man.Utd fans ( 93-2013 ) They expect it to go on for ever. It doesn't and when it doesn't, they don't know how to deal with it. They haven't developed any ' football maturity ' They haven't learned how to lose and lose with dignity and with grace. One defeat and they expect to bounce straight back. The older Man Utd fans lived through 26 years of not winning the league ( 67-93 ) and Liverpool fans are getting used to the same run ( approaching 24 years )
People can jump on the big club bandwagon anytime they like, as long as they don't expect any sympathy from the likes of me, when the good times run out.

Im not so sure the depiction of those who've never known bad times is completely fair. I get your point but I have seen a wide range of reactions to Man Utds current plight from the range of people I know who support them. Many are completely open to the need for change and the fact that they've had it far too good for so long.

As a back story I was in recption/year 1 when the Man Utd revolution truly begun. At school there was a pressure to support a big team. At the age of 6/7 it wasnt enough in the playground just to support "rubbish brighton" so I completely crumbled to peer pressure and attempted to combat the man utd fans by picking Arsenal who had finished 10th that year below the likes of Norwich, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and only 2 places above Wimbledon. I could quite as easily have picked any of them. Obviously now you see it as a rubbish reason to pick a team but at 5/6/7 I had no footballing backbone. Anyway, I can't just TURN off my support for Arsenal now. It's been 21 years of following them, going to watch them when I can and hurting desperately when they lose. sure I picked them for rubbish reasons, but it's now completely stuck forever.

That is the same with the same people who supported Man Utd in my class. Again, it was 100% glory hunting....as they were 6....but now they HURT seeing United struggle. They hurt how we hurt when Albion are struggling. Of course the years of success is a complete contrast....but I certainly wouldn't say their support is different to anyone elses.

The reasons for selecting a team are almost irrelevant (especially if chosen as a child). Once you're hooked, you're hooked.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012

I used to think other Palace fans exaggerated when they said that you all had second teams and really supported Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea. It seems like they were not far wrong.
I would never swap allegiances for ANYTHING, if I ever stop watching Palace for whatever reason I will simply not go and watch football anymore

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I used to think other Palace fans exaggerated when they said that you all had second teams and really supported Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea. It seems like they were not far wrong.
I would never swap allegiances for ANYTHING, if I ever stop watching Palace for whatever reason I will simply not go and watch football anymore

And like your lot only support Palace............yea right. I used to visit Brixton and Clapham in my youth and everyone there followed Chelsea with just a passing interest to The Nigels.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Was that you wearing the red Manchester United shirt in the Palace end?

Eric_Cantona_1698693i.jpg

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I never said that, United were my FIRST team from the age of 6, when I living in the Elephant and Castle, and saw them win the European Cup Final against Benfica. I turned down opportunities to go to better academic institutions purely to be able to go to Old Trafford each week.

Having seen the light, I am now ABU with the best, despite my wife being a red, and her ex-husband being at United.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012

Used to work in Croydon, they were nearly ALL "Chelsea and Palace". Usually Palace when doing well.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
And like your lot only support Palace............yea right. I used to visit Brixton and Clapham in my youth and everyone there followed Chelsea with just a passing interest to The Nigels.

Was that you wearing the red Manchester United shirt in the Palace end?

I never said that, United were my FIRST team from the age of 6, when I living in the Elephant and Castle, and saw them win the European Cup Final against Benfica. I turned down opportunities to go to better academic institutions purely to be able to go to Old Trafford each week.

Having seen the light, I am now ABU with the best, despite my wife being a red, and her ex-husband being at United.

Used to work in Croydon, they were nearly ALL "Chelsea and Palace". Usually Palace when doing well.

I think you are all missing the point. It is about switching allegiances. How can you go from cheering on a team, actually there at the match with your fellow supporters, going through the highs and lows and then changing to another team. So far in this thread we have a Man U supporter, an Arsenal supporter and a Chelsea fan who now go to the Amex and cheer on a different team.
How can you go from being on a train to watch your team to then supporting their opponents :lol:
Lets face it I am not the only one saying it is weird, the mind boggles.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
There's some good stuff on twitter...such as...

Little Big Match ‏@LittleBigMatch · 2h
CP 1–0 STO. Gervinho’s Oprah-mooning-thru-a-beaded-curtain hairtastrophe dethroned by not-balding dingbat Chamakh's two-sided comb-over

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you are all missing the point. It is about switching allegiances. How can you go from cheering on a team, actually there at the match with your fellow supporters, going through the highs and lows and then changing to another team. So far in this thread we have a Man U supporter, an Arsenal supporter and a Chelsea fan who now go to the Amex and cheer on a different team.
How can you go from being on a train to watch your team to then supporting their opponents :lol:
Lets face it I am not the only one saying it is weird, the mind boggles.

I think Nick Hornby actually covered this situation very well in Fever Pitch (not the film). It happens. You can fall out of love with the game, or move away, need a change of scene. Football isn't some Disney like Holywood fable, it's real life, and sometimes people just move on. Football isn't always this love affair you have from birth through to death. There are many paths people take and always have done.

In my Dad's day, if you didn't travel away, you went and watched and even supported your other local team. FOOTBALL, was what you loved.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I wasn't born in Brighton, my affection grew for them over time after I moved there in 1973, but it took time.

As for the train journey, having seen United fans rob sleeping passengers, urinate and do plops on the seats, threaten the conductor, and generally act like tossers that I decided to have nothing to do with them.

It's a bit like hankering over a bird with massive knockers for years, realising she is actually not what you want, then finding out that you are far better off with the girl next door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here