Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moyes is to be named Man Utd Manager today

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Oh but you HAVE to love the slow-mo champions league winning moments from the Nou Camp. I was 13 at the time, HATED HATED HATED Man Utd, but even I jumped off the sofa when they scored that winner against Munich. Mad scenes.

Sorry but no.

I also remember it vividly, also HATED ManU, was 19 and the bloke I was watching it with (who supports them) jumped off the sofa. I just groaned. And now I have seen it so many MILLIONS of times over the past day that it's been burned onto my eyelids, like when you look at a sparkler. Every time I blink all I see is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wheeling away, and Sammy Kuffour beating the ground in impotent frustration. I hate it. HATE IT.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Rooney wants to go now, interesting...

No surprise. I reckon Fergie would have sold him this summer anyway. No longer first choice and they might want to get Lewandowksi, but still get a shed-load for Rooney. Fergie always did that, move them on when they're a fraction passed their best, before the reach their sell-by date.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
No surprise. I reckon Fergie would have sold him this summer anyway. No longer first choice and they might want to get Lewandowksi, but still get a shed-load for Rooney. Fergie always did that, move them on when they're a fraction passed their best, before the reach their sell-by date.

Aye, but who'll take him? I could see him going to Chelsea, then Torres being shipped off.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We'd be there for ****ing ages! :shrug:

Yes, and that might not be long enough to ponder on all the achievements football's greatest son has won. God bless the ruddy faced septuagenarian managerial colossus. Will the sun ever shine so bright again?

In fact, thinking about it, perhaps football should just stop. For ever.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Aye, but who'll take him? I could see him going to Chelsea, then Torres being shipped off.

If it was anyone but him, I would say abroad - then Real might have him. As he struggles with English, I think a foreign tongue would be a step too far. Chelsea might be a good bet if Mourinho likes him - for some reason I could see him at Spurs, but who knows.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I wonder if they went on a 7 year run like Arsenal without a trophy they'd fill out 75,000 every week still at old trafford
Plus in 7 years time no more man utd shirts walking around a local shopping centre near you ( bliss, oh happy days )

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Where WOULD Rooney go? I can't for one second see him & his wife coping abroad.

Most English clubs couldn't afford his wages, and of those who could, which would want him? City is the only slight possibility, I'd have thought.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if they went on a 7 year run like Arsenal without a trophy they'd fill out 75,000 every week still at old trafford
Plus in 7 years time no more man utd shirts walking around a local shopping centre near you ( bliss, oh happy days )

Even in the 1980s when they were also-rans and Liverpool dominated European football, United always had crowds that were up there with the best of them. They'd be pulling in 35,000-40,000 at a time when English football crowds were at an all time low. I think you can attack them for lots of reasons, but not so much that. They've always been popular.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Depends what your aim is though.

United's is SURELY longetivity. Moyes epitomises that. Jose does not.

There is nothing WRONG with what Jose does, but clearly he is not a manager for the long term. He enjoys constant change and new challenges.

People say Moyes hasn't proven himself at the top top level but how is he meant to do that if never given the chance? Klopp spent about 8 years at Mainz before getting the Dortmund job, and NOW look at him.

No one had heard of Wenger when he joined Arsenal. Everyone needs a chance. Personally I think United are being VERY sensible with this appointment (assuming it happens).

All perfectly valid points, but United need a WINNER, IMO, to show that they can keep winning titles without SAF on the scene. Jose's your man for that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
good as he is I just can't see Moyes filling Fergie's boots.

plus Fergie will be hanging around and I can't see him being the shy and retiring type.

The Stout Yeoman

Master Farter
Aug 14, 2003
59 Le Petomane Boulevard

They went four years without winning anything when Ferguson joined ....what chance a new manager would get that long now !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These ManU threads this week haven't gone into the many 100's of replies.

Surprising ... pleased to see that most northstandchatters are Albion centric (or prefer other PL clubs). I would've thought that all the closet ManUre fans would have come out.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh but you HAVE to love the slow-mo champions league winning moments from the Nou Camp. I was 13 at the time, HATED HATED HATED Man Utd, but even I jumped off the sofa when they scored that winner against Munich. Mad scenes.

The only time I have wanted a post-80s Man U team to win a game was that season. Basically because of that semi-final. that was FOOTBALL right there. I really enjoyed that.

The final, I thought ok, come on win, the game was turgid. It was only enjoyable because of how it finished.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I reckon Rooney will go to City. He wouldn't have a problem a la Tevez of switching over for a bit more cash, and he's not going to learn a foreign language so not abroad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here