Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moyes is to be named Man Utd Manager today

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5690130 said:
To be fair, everything has been handled very, very quickly for a footballing story that is one of the biggest in the last 20 years. I think Man Utd have done really well to avoid long drawn out speculation.

Oh I totally agree - MUFC have handled it it impeccably.

It's everyone else that can't stop banging on about it. I was particularly uninterested to hear whether Denis Law thought SAF was an impossible act to follow. Or being read, reread and rereread the same obsequious tweet from Blatter. Gah. Friday can't come soon enough.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd have picked Jose over Moyes, every day of the week.

Depends what your aim is though.

United's is SURELY longetivity. Moyes epitomises that. Jose does not.

There is nothing WRONG with what Jose does, but clearly he is not a manager for the long term. He enjoys constant change and new challenges.

People say Moyes hasn't proven himself at the top top level but how is he meant to do that if never given the chance? Klopp spent about 8 years at Mainz before getting the Dortmund job, and NOW look at him.

No one had heard of Wenger when he joined Arsenal. Everyone needs a chance. Personally I think United are being VERY sensible with this appointment (assuming it happens).

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Moyes will be going into this job at a difficult time as well. Obviously he has a brilliant squad but the opposition are improving.

Arsenal have just signed a the biggest sponsorship deal in history to get £30m a year from Puma + Wenger reportedly now has a budget.

Man CIty will be going big in the window this summer.

Chelsea have the basis of a brilliant squad and the adding of a Falcao for example could be that boost they need along with Mourninho rejoining.

Spurs are probably a little off but if they keep Bale and get a 20+ striker then they aren't going to be far off for long.
Next year could be very close.

Arsenal have had a large budget every season for the last 5 years. Wenger has to present the reasonings behind every signing and how it has worked out from a financial point of view, which is probably why he never spends that much

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Moyes is one of the most likeable managers in the game. He sees everything, he says things as they are, he doesn't pander to the media by making a fuss out of nothing, he gets good players in for reasonable value.

Squaring this with his new position is going to be difficult for some.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Arsenal have had a large budget every season for the last 5 years. Wenger has to present the reasonings behind every signing and how it has worked out from a financial point of view, which is probably why he never spends that much

What I mean is this is finally the time when Wenger can spend without the need to recoup. His net spending over his time at the club is tiny. Ferguson over his whole tenure has a net spend of £15m a season apparently (according to sky sports this morning), which if you consider how low transfer fees were when he first started and the fact he recouped £80m for Ronaldo is really quite high.

This is Arsenal’s net spend in the Wenger era…(apparently). I've got rid of all the individual fees paid but it does seem legit.

1996/97
Net Spend: £10.13m
1997/98
Net Spend: £50k
1998/99
Net Spend: £8.93m
1999/00
Net Spend: -£6.18m
00/01
Net Spend: £3.3m
01/02
Net Spend: £10.976m
02/03
Net Spend: £890k
03/04
Net Spend: £16.65m
04/05
Net Spend: £1.6m
05/06
Spend: £6.78m
06/07
Net Spend: -£17m
07/08
Net Spend £13.4m
08/09
Net Spend: -£3.55m
09/10
Net Spend: -£31m
10/11
Net Spend: £6.8m
11/12
Net Spend: -£17.55m
12/13
Net spend
-£8m (estimated on Van Persie+ song out and Podolski+Giroud in)

That means he actually, on average, makes a small profit each year on transfers. Will be interesting to see if Wenger spends the reported £70m he has this summer. That's before he even benefits from the new Puma deal.

Anyway, I've gone COMPLETELY off topic there :lolol:

I also wonder whether Moyes's player development/eye for a bargain with the impending FFP rules coming in helped swing it for him?

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ferguson's choice.

Ferguson and Manchester United patronising the rest of football again, assuming its only reason for existing is to supply them with managers, players and opposition willing to lie down and surrender to them.

No doubt if Moyes is unable to deliver the title next season he'll have Ferguson looking over his shoulder as several managers did when Busby "retired" ,,,,

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
You've got to remember that unlike many other managerial appointments, Fergie's probably been scouting for 10 years or so. We know he's at least been considering retirement since the 2001/02 season, so he's had plenty of time to pick who he wanted as his successor. He certainly won't have had a completely free choice, but Moyes must surely have been very near the top of his list if he wasn't right at the top. Personally I assume Fergie's got the intelligence and eye to select a good manager.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Its Manchester United.

Bernie Clifton could be in charge and players would still be falling over themselves to go there.

Depends whether he brought the comedy ostrich, I'd have thought. Clifton's motivational skills are not in dispute, but I'd have thought the bird might be a divisive presence in the dressing room.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Moyes is one of the most likeable managers in the game. He sees everything, he says things as they are, he doesn't pander to the media by making a fuss out of nothing, he gets good players in for reasonable value.

I'm one of them. I think he's a very good manager who has done a great job at Everton. I'm also pleased to see Man utd not just grabbing whatever big name is available.

On the other hand, it's man utd and I'd love to see them fail.

It's a toughie alright.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

And at least he talks to the media. The Villa game was the firstpost-match press conference old Purple Nose had bothered to turn up to for a domestic match since the 2010 Community Shield game. All those quotes from him in match reports are from MUTV. It shows his contempt for readers (who include United fans) who might like to hear him answer some real questions rather than the sycophantic "How great were you today?" suggestions from the club's in-house channel. Moyes has more respect for people. Or at least he does at the moment.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Moyes will be going into this job at a difficult time as well. Obviously he has a brilliant squad but the opposition are improving.

Arsenal have just signed a the biggest sponsorship deal in history to get £30m a year from Puma + Wenger reportedly now has a budget.

Man CIty will be going big in the window this summer.

Chelsea have the basis of a brilliant squad and the adding of a Falcao for example could be that boost they need along with Mourninho rejoining.

Spurs are probably a little off but if they keep Bale and get a 20+ striker then they aren't going to be far off for long.

Next year could be very close.
You forgot to mention the emergence of a small south coast outfit pushing the top clubs for a champions
league spot next season:whistle:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Endless montages of Brian Kidd falling to his knees and punching the sky, Giggs' chest hair, SAF chewing and pointing at his watch, and a billion talking head soundbites with subtle variations on a theme of "What a manager". I hate it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Endless montages of Brian Kidd falling to his knees and punching the sky, Giggs' chest hair, SAF chewing and pointing at his watch, and a billion talking head soundbites with subtle variations on a theme of "What a manager". I hate it.

Oh but you HAVE to love the slow-mo champions league winning moments from the Nou Camp. I was 13 at the time, HATED HATED HATED Man Utd, but even I jumped off the sofa when they scored that winner against Munich. Mad scenes.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

funny, I had that problem, then discovered the remote and changed channels.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here