Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD - 22:30 BBC One

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just saw the highlights and man, you were robbed, royally. 2 clear penalties.

The VAR deflected goal was a correct decision, however. It's not clear beyond doubt whether it was a hand or not, plus, the deflection changed the direction, albeit minor, and it did change the course of the ball so you cannot be sure if the keeper would have saved it otherwise. So, albeit harsh, it was correct
If there is not clear evidence of a handball in the video replays then the on field decision should stand and the goal given. If different angles show different things happening then again the benefit of the doubt should be given and the on field decision stand.

VAR need to find a clear and obvious error to overrule the on field ref and in this case looking at the replays nothing was clear or obvious.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If there is not clear evidence of a handball in the video replays then the on field decision should stand and the goal given.

VAR need to find a clear and obvious error to overrule the on field ref and in this case looking at the replays nothing was clear or obvious.
Yes, but do spare a thought for poor Michael Salisbury. If he'd just decided it wasn't clear and obvious and not over-ruled a perfectly good goal, nobody would be talking about him tonight. Nobody would even know or care who was the VAR.

Can you really wish a fate like that on a fellow human being? Be a bit harsh, woudn't it.............#prayforsalisbury.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes, but do spare a thought for poor Michael Salisbury. If he'd just decided it wasn't clear and obvious and not over-ruled a perfectly good goal, nobody would be talking about him tonight. Nobody would even know or care who was the VAR.

Can you really wish a fate like that on a fellow human being? Be a bit harsh, woudn't it.............#prayforsalisbury.
i really hope the c**t gets to ref a game at the Amex soon.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
i really hope the c**t gets to ref a game at the Amex soon.
I hope he's never allowed near another football match in any official capacity, but if he is put in charge of a match at the Amex I hope the boys get Bissouma to get his Spurs team mates to all sign a Spurs shirt, so that when the pre-match handshakes are taking place Dunk can hold it up to the crowd and politely present it to the incompetant prat.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I hope he's never allowed near another football match in any official capacity, but if he is put in charge of a match at the Amex I hope the boys get Bissouma to get his Spurs team mates to all sign a Spurs shirt, so that when the pre-match handshakes are taking place Dunk can hold it up to the crowd and politely present it to the incompetant prat.

I know there's a lot of stuff about the abuse refs get and I undrstand it can be really unpleasant, but I think we should also consider these people are paid A LOT of money to officiate at the top level. Today's performance was either abjectly inept or corrupt.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

The VAR deflected goal was a correct decision, however. It's not clear beyond doubt whether it was a hand or not, plus, the deflection changed the direction, albeit minor, and it did change the course of the ball so you cannot be sure if the keeper would have saved it otherwise. So, albeit harsh, it was correct
What on earth are you talking about? Not clear beyond doubt that it was a hand? Well, as the onfield decision was goal then it HAS to be be beyond doubt that it was a hand to overrule it. If there is an angle that shows this beyond doubt then fine but I haven't seen one.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just watched now (up early for work) and the fury has returned. Can’t really complain about the coverage too much. Shearer essentially suggested we should have been awarded three penalties. His giving VAR the benefit of the doubt was inconsistent, as he invoked the “clear and obvious“ yardstick. If that’s the case then the on field decision should be allowed to stand, which would have meant Welbeck’s goal being given.

What’s really gnawing away at me now is that our best chance of keeping this squad together lies in getting European football next season. This sort of rubbish is genuinely threatening that, which could have huge implications for us in the longer term. This isn’t just a case of the team on the wrong end of bad calls whining. This stuff really matters.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not even 5/6 at this point. It's about 10 points.

Palace, Bournemouth, Leicester being clear decisions going against us.

About the only decision we got was Sanchez not being sent off against Grimsby.
We beat Bournemouth twice so no decision cost us any points

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

If it’s not clear it hit his hand, it shouldn’t be disallowed. They’re not meant to guess.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
The Linesman raised his flag on the Mitoma hand ball. So that was the problem. It reverted to 'Umpire's Call' so it wasn't given as the replay cannot be certain. So if there was an error there it was the linesman rather than VAR. It may have stood otherwise.
But the linesman then tapped his shoulder twice, which isn’t handball.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just watched now (up early for work) and the fury has returned. Can’t really complain about the coverage too much. Shearer essentially suggested we should have been awarded three penalties. His giving VAR the benefit of the doubt was inconsistent, as he invoked the “clear and obvious“ yardstick. If that’s the case then the on field decision should be allowed to stand, which would have meant Welbeck’s goal being given.

What’s really gnawing away at me now is that our best chance of keeping this squad together lies in getting European football next season. This sort of rubbish is genuinely threatening that, which could have huge implications for us in the longer term. This isn’t just a case of the team on the wrong end of bad calls whining. This stuff really matters.
Yes, because the clubs they would be going to, they won't have to worry about being on the receiving end of days like yesterday again

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know there's a lot of stuff about the abuse refs get and I undrstand it can be really unpleasant, but I think we should also consider these people are paid A LOT of money to officiate at the top level. Today's performance was either abjectly inept or corrupt.
If it was inept, it would be inconsistent.

The game was officiated very consistently, therefore it must be corrupt.

2 good goals dissalowed and 3 penalties not awarded . . .

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

It really does
The PGMOL are in a multi billion pound industry proving to be an inefficient, inept and incompetent bunch of muppets
But they’re absolutely Teflon - they can just cock up with impunity every week
Every
Feckin
Week

And no one, no one can do anything about it.

And you have to ask yourself why

And the answer seems to me that it’s because the top clubs are less likely, statistically, to be impacted adversely
That is because they will benefit because they will have more goal scoring opportunities corrected on average by VAR.

So the top clubs will always be for VAR, and there’s nothing that the likes of #teamslikebrighton can do about it.

And it makes me sick to my stomach and makes me honestly consider what the point is of supporting a #teamlikebrighton. 😨

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What on earth are you talking about? Not clear beyond doubt that it was a hand? Well, as the onfield decision was goal then it HAS to be be beyond doubt that it was a hand to overrule it. If there is an angle that shows this beyond doubt then fine but I haven't seen one.
I agree with you, but your issue is how VAR is used or interpreted rather than the rule. Once VAR comes into the decision making then the letter of the law and fine margins come into play.

You can't say whether the keeper would have saved it had it not clipped Mcalister on the way

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It really does
The PGMOL are in a multi billion pound industry proving to be an inefficient, inept and incompetent bunch of muppets
But they’re absolutely Teflon - they can just cock up with impunity every week
Every
Feckin
Week

And no one, no one can do anything about it.

And you have to ask yourself why

And the answer seems to me that it’s because the top clubs are less likely, statistically, to be impacted adversely
That is because they will benefit because they will have more goal scoring opportunities corrected on average by VAR.

So the top clubs will always be for VAR, and there’s nothing that the likes of #teamslikebrighton can do about it.

And it makes me sick to my stomach and makes me honestly consider what the point is of supporting a #teamlikebrighton. 😨

Absolutely spot on. Could you imagine the shitstorm in the media if all those decisions yesterday had gone against Spurs and not us? There would be calls for Atwell never to ref a Spurs game again, calls for Salisbury to be sacked, and calls for Webb to come forward and explain everything.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree with you, but your issue is how VAR is used or interpreted rather than the rule. Once VAR comes into the decision making then the letter of the law and fine margins come into play.

You can't say whether the keeper would have saved it had it not clipped Mcalister on the way
the letter of the law is this is subjective so VAR should only overrule if there is a clear and obvious error.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Absolutely spot on. Could you imagine the shitstorm in the media if all those decisions yesterday had gone against Spurs and not us? There would be calls for Atwell never to ref a Spurs game again, calls for Salisbury to be sacked, and calls for Webb to come forward and explain everything.
Yup, this is where I am too. Imagine, in an alternate reality as of course it would never have happened in this one, that those decisions went against Alex Ferguson's Manchester United? The media storm would be front page news and the ramifications would be literally game changing. Jobs would be lost overnight and the rules rewritten within a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here