Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD - 22:30 BBC One

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The boy Lineker not there tonight - on the naughty step again? Perhaps this time - if that is the case - the BBC will recognise and take the chance to make big savings! Good idea to use the first two minutes for a montage of a match between two teams that weren't even playing today......................

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
The boy Lineker not there tonight - on the naughty step again? Perhaps this time - if that is the case - the BBC will recognise and take the chance to make big savings! Good idea to use the first two minutes for a montage of a match between two teams that weren't even playing today......................

I doubt it, he’s not been controversial recently. He did tweet a while ago suggesting that the chair of the BBC shouldn’t be in the gift of any Prime Minister/Political Party, but that by nature could hardly be seen as partisan by any but the densest.

If arguing against partisan management isn’t a core BBC value then I don’t know what is.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
With only three games today and five tomorrow, the MOTD/MOTD2 order has effectively been reverse. I expect we’ll see Lineker, Shearer and Wright back tomorrow. I don’t think he’s been benched or put on the naughty step.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I doubt it, he’s not been controversial recently. He did tweet a while ago suggesting that the chair of the BBC shouldn’t be in the gift of any Prime Minister/Political Party, but that by nature could hardly be seen as partisan by any but the densest.

If arguing against partisan management isn’t a core BBC value then I don’t know what is.
Not controversial to you (or me for that matter) but HE has upset some people, and it's quite possible they will have more influence than you or I. And on the practical side, it would be a major saving for the BBC!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Putting aside the rights and wrongs I just don’t like smug Lineker or his shit jokes so would be happy to see him binned. Shearer amuses me as does Wright so no problem with them. Keown just comes across as boring and a bit thick to me.

I am hoping for a shake up in the close season, just hoping it’s not Scott fronting it though

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Was good analysis again. We are bloody good you know.
That Palace penalty is the softest penalty you will see for a while. And VAR accepted it. Crazy
Yes, a clear dive in my opinion. I reckon the only reason it wasn't overturned was because the West Ham player tugged his shorts as he was going down.

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Not controversial to you (or me for that matter) but HE has upset some people, and it's quite possible they will have more influence than you or I. And on the practical side, it would be a major saving for the BBC!
But the problem is, if we get rid of anyone with any personality or values then you end up with a bunch of glossy cardboard cutouts on screen with exactly the personality of cardboard.

If our bar for presenters is “should have no discernible personality” then let’s just have Jake Humphreys hosting everything and we can all switch off.

I’ve never seen Lineker say anything political on MOTD, the froth around him is being generated by the same bad faith bullshitters who keep us fighting among ourselves, rather than stop and ask questions about what’s happening to our country and why.

I have to accept that it’s possible to dislike/not agree with somebody without calling for their heads for daring to have personal opinions outside of their job. Some will disagree with Lineker’s views on government refugee policy, but he’s not bringing them to work and he’s entitled to them.

There are plenty of people out there who I disagree with, I don’t actively campaign against them earning a living. Those in positions of power and influence should absolutely not be abusing their power to try and prevent dissent being heard, allowing that is exactly how Russia (eventually) got to where it is now.

If employers and employees had to see eye to eye politically before they agreed to work together, there would be a colossal spike in unemployment and employers would be in crisis. It’s got to be ok to see the world differently. Lineker is a contractor, not even a full-time employee, his detractors may have influence, but they don’t have a leg to stand on, and their actions reflect poorly on them.

Personally, I think he’s good at what he does, but familiarity breeds contempt, and perhaps how good he is at his job won’t be noticed until he’s gone.

I also find it odd that Alex Scott seems to have become a lightning rod for the same people who seem vocally anti-Lineker. She, again, seems a pretty good (and knowledgeable) presenter to me. Some seem to be treating her rise as a signifier of some terrible decline in society, again with no good cause that I’ve ever seen/heard communicated coherently.

Finally, we all know that even if Lineker left MOTD today, there would be no reduction in license fee. Lineker pitches his services in a competitive market, the BBC clearly feel he’s worth it, they’ve renewed enough times. There would be no saving to us.

I’ve just realised that it’s before 9 on a Sunday morning and I’ve written an essay on Gary Lineker and the BBC. Kids are the gift that keep giving…

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But the problem is, if we get rid of anyone with any personality or values then you end up with a bunch of glossy cardboard cutouts on screen with exactly the personality of cardboard.

If our bar for presenters is “should have no discernible personality” then let’s just have Jake Humphreys hosting everything and we can all switch off.

I’ve never seen Lineker say anything political on MOTD, the froth around him is being generated by the same bad faith bullshitters who keep us fighting among ourselves, rather than stop and ask questions about what’s happening to our country and why.

I have to accept that it’s possible to dislike/not agree with somebody without calling for their heads for daring to have personal opinions outside of their job. Some will disagree with Lineker’s views on government refugee policy, but he’s not bringing them to work and he’s entitled to them.

There are plenty of people out there who I disagree with, I don’t actively campaign against them earning a living. Those in positions of power and influence should absolutely not be abusing their power to try and prevent dissent being heard, allowing that is exactly how Russia (eventually) got to where it is now.

If employers and employees had to see eye to eye politically before they agreed to work together, there would be a colossal spike in unemployment and employers would be in crisis. It’s got to be ok to see the world differently. Lineker is a contractor, not even a full-time employee, his detractors may have influence, but they don’t have a leg to stand on, and their actions reflect poorly on them.

Personally, I think he’s good at what he does, but familiarity breeds contempt, and perhaps how good he is at his job won’t be noticed until he’s gone.

I also find it odd that Alex Scott seems to have become a lightning rod for the same people who seem vocally anti-Lineker. She, again, seems a pretty good (and knowledgeable) presenter to me. Some seem to be treating her rise as a signifier of some terrible decline in society, again with no good cause that I’ve ever seen/heard communicated coherently.

Finally, we all know that even if Lineker left MOTD today, there would be no reduction in license fee. Lineker pitches his services in a competitive market, the BBC clearly feel he’s worth it, they’ve renewed enough times. There would be no saving to us.

I’ve just realised that it’s before 9 on a Sunday morning and I’ve written an essay on Gary Lineker and the BBC. Kids are the gift that keep giving…
Not my quarrel mate. I merely point out that it has been reported in the national press that Lineker has opened his gob again in a manner some people object to. If that includes the BBC, then there is a golden opportunity to replace one glossy cardboard cutout on screen with another (much cheaper) bunch of glossy cardboard cutouts on screen and save much needed £millions. It's not as if Lineker has any unique - or even special - abilities.

Last edited:

chickens

Oct 12, 2022
Not my quarrel mate. I merely point out that it has been reported in the natioal press that Lineker has opened his gob again in a manner some people object to. If that includes the BBC, then there is a golden opportunity to replace one glossy cardboard cutout on screen with another (much cheaper) bunch of glossy cardboard cutouts on screen and save much needed £millions. It's not as if Lineker has any unique - or even special
Ah well, the national press, owned by people not resident in the U.K. but stirring the pot regardless.

They’re offended by the existence of all views other than their own. Unless Lineker’s views were aired while working for the BBC, then it’s not really any of the BBC’s business. Gary Lineker is not a BBC spokesperson.

I know it’s not your quarrel, but I left Twitter because of the nonsense pile-ons. This is clearly an analogue pile-on carried out 20th century style via the mainstream press.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Watching a steam today and the female commentator doing Brain Clough impersonations ffs
That be Jacqui Oatley, who is a Wolves fan...she was trying desperately to detract from the awful impersonation of a football team by the team in gold.

Reactions: Vin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here