Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Mortimer and Whitehouse - gone fishing

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
……and it was’t anything remarkable in halibut terms. Even the British rod-caught record is well over double that, and world record something like 450lb.

Edit….actually even bigger. Here’s one over 500lb caught in Norway

Blimey. As much as I like halibut to eat, I do wonder if one of that size would be as tough as old boots.

I'm also intrigued by freshwater monsters. Many years ago I watched a programme about this bloke who bought a lake in Brittany, with a view to stocking it with carp. But he had heard tales of a big catfish in it, so he drained it. As the water level got lower, it became apparent just how big this catfish was. It was the length of a room - something like 13 or 14 feet, maybe more.

For a river fishing experience, you could do worse than this:

They regularly get 8-footers (or maybe the same one over and over again).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blimey. As much as I like halibut to eat, I do wonder if one of that size would be as tough as old boots.

I'm also intrigued by freshwater monsters. Many years ago I watched a programme about this bloke who bought a lake in Brittany, with a view to stocking it with carp. But he had heard tales of a big catfish in it, so he drained it. As the water level got lower, it became apparent just how big this catfish was. It was the length of a room - something like 13 or 14 feet, maybe more.

Richard Wade’s programme is good (River Monsters) if you like that kind of thing…….

Oddly enough got a fishing trip booked in Canada in September - salmon though, not Sturgeon. I did catch a sturgeon near Burgess Hill a few weeks ago but it was about 1.5lbs one one of our club lakes. Probably chucked in by someone who no longer wanted it in their home pond/tank.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Richard Wade’s programme is good (River Monsters) if you like that kind of thing…….

Oddly enough got a fishing trip booked in Canada in September - salmon though, not Sturgeon. I did catch a sturgeon near Burgess Hill a few weeks ago but it was about 1.5lbs one one of our club lakes. Probably chucked in by someone who no longer wanted it in their home pond/tank.
People releasing unwanted pets seems to be a problem. I was at Falmer pond a few years ago, and a team of conservationists were there, trying to catch something. I asked them what they were after, and they told me they wanted to clear the pond of terrapins. Someone had released them, and as they had got bigger, they were eating the ducklings.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Wasn't that a series on C4, No Way Back where Brits had moved abroad ?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
It's a wonderful programme and is more about a close friendship rather than fishing. It illustrates the importance of our natural environment and how interacting with nature is good for one's wellbeing.

I've taken many a walk along the river Ouse, using fishing as a pretext for getting out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I saw one coming towards me in Glasgow a few years ago, but managed to beat a hasty retreat.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Paul on BBC2 at 8pm……’’Our troubled rivers’. Suspect it’s focused on the moneygrabbingwankers constantly pumping shit into our rivers. I bet Feargal Sharkey appears at some point, absolute hero campaigning against this.
Yep, he did! Great program and a real eye-opener. I think next week he's coming for Southern Water.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
If he is coming for Southern Water next week, here's some info for you about stormwater releases from local outfalls into the sea / river.

The Portobello storm outfalls at Telscombe Cliffs discharged for 183 hours last year enough untreated wastewater to fill about 660 Olympic swimming pools.

The Shoreham outfalls (including ones in the River Adur) discharged for 114 hours.

barbus_max bhafc

Dec 12, 2021
Worthing
These water companies (and I put them ALL in this description) are a total fkin disgrace - just continuing to pump raw untreated sewage/shite into our rivers (because they’re allowed to in certain conditions still doesn’t make it right) and giving their officers-in-charge millions In bonuses. Just incredible they are still getting away with it as of today - Southern Water are probably the worst offender of the lot so will be interesting viewing on next weeks show.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
These water companies (and I put them ALL in this description) are a total fkin disgrace - just continuing to pump raw untreated sewage/shite into our rivers (because they’re allowed to in certain conditions still doesn’t make it right) and giving their officers-in-charge millions In bonuses. Just incredible they are still getting away with it as of today - Southern Water are probably the worst offender of the lot so will be interesting viewing on next weeks show.
From what I took out of last night's programme, they were pumping this shit (literally) into the water even when they WEREN'T allowed to. Absolute scumbags.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If he is coming for Southern Water next week, here's some info for you about stormwater releases from local outfalls into the sea / river.

The Portobello storm outfalls at Telscombe Cliffs discharged for 183 hours last year enough untreated wastewater to fill about 660 Olympic swimming pools.

183 hours equates to over one week of goodness knows what umentionable material being pumped into the sea. plus 114 hours worth into the Adur, plus of course all of the other effluent being discharged by countless other water companies nationwide.

An absolute disgrace indeed.
The Shoreham outfalls (including ones in the River Adur) discharged for 114 hours.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not Mortimer and Whitehouse, or anything to do with Southern Water, but seems about the most appropriate place for fish related information (either that or start a new thread).

BOBBY ZAMORA IS ON ITV4 NOW. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here