Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More rail strike (Jan) & can Amex travel sustain the affects of rail strikes long term?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think once a few more people have had their NYE ruined by the park and ride next week this thread might get a bit noisier
I'm not even bothering.

Late kick-off, coupled with inevitable train problems and the influx of people coming into Brighton for nights out etc.

It's going to be an absolute shitshow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not even bothering.

Late kick-off, coupled with inevitable train problems and the influx of people coming into Brighton for nights out etc.

Exactly Irrespective of everything else, this fixture, at 3pm, would have been the worst for transport all season.
On a level that's ok, it's the deal we signed up too.

Push back till 17:30, with all the transport difficulties, is just a final f-you.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not even bothering.

Against all odds, I don't think it is. Reckon the festive period trains are more or less fixed in the timetable now, and show trains every 10 minutes to and from the game (I'm talking Brighton-Falmer-Lewes circuit only). It's certainly far more do-able than that wretched Boxing Day 8pm start we had v Brentford last year when there were NO trains and NO B&H buses

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Not sure what the club can do about a train strike or fixtures getting moved for TV.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Didn’t someone else say the bike parking is pretty much full already and PB said they can’t/won’t build anymore?
What’s the reason for not installing further bike parking? Given the club own loads of the land around the stadium surely adding more racks to this isn’t an issue :shrug:

talk2knighty

Dec 26, 2014
What’s the reason for not installing further bike parking? Given the club own loads of the land around the stadium surely adding more racks to this isn’t an issue :shrug:
They can’t enact the most simple of conundrums such as print at home tickets or perhaps recognising we need a decent striker, what makes you think they have the mineral’s to deal with a serious challenge such as this?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
First reply here:-

The steward who got the "you can't cycle any further" gig by the platform has the bestest job.

Not only does he stop people cycling when the area is a little busy, before kick off.
He doesn't have to return when the area is really busy at kicking out time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The club has to replace Mithras House.
They already have a relationship with Pyecombe and Sainsbury's.

When I use MR I usually look out to an empty Southern Water (?) car park, yards from the Stadium.

It needs greater control over the traffic lights leaving the stadium.
There ought to be no through traffic for 30 mins after the final whistle.

Absolutely no pick ups even close to the stadium.
(I have no idea of the mentality of someone arranging to be collected 'at the front door', and someone else saying 'yes that shouldn't be a problem').

and yes I'm going to say it (as usual)

There's a (comparatively) good cycle path from the pier to the front door. (Don't know about arriving from the east).
The club needs to promote the shite out of that.
Get on board with e-bikes.
Film (and time) taking the staff for an ice cream one day, on bikes, they usually love that shite.
Segregate a one way path down to the bridge.
Cycling works it's needs to be seen working.

Arsenal, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Fulham, West Ham, Utd, coming up.
If anyone is expecting some kind of magic improvement, by doing the same, they are going to be disappointed.
The fixture list might as well throw palace at home in to make it the worst possible run for transport.
The club can't or won't make it work.
Public transport can't be trusted.

It's going to get a lot worse, before it ever gets a little better.
Perfectly good cycle path from Lewes to Falmer (along the 27)……..put some bike storage by the Swan where the path goes, job done.

Get some proper organised parking in the industrial estate (Bexhill Road) at Woodingdean, be clear it’s a 30 min walk so people are aware but loads of space if it was allowed to be used

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Perfectly good cycle path from Lewes to Falmer (along the 27)……..put some bike storage by the Swan where the path goes, job done.

Get some proper organised parking in the industrial estate (Bexhill Road) at Woodingdean, be clear it’s a 30 min walk so people are aware but loads of space if it was allowed to be used
Cant see walking in the dark 30 minutes happening.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No idea but there is room to carry on the existing racks dow to where r the ramps start for the station…..i know i get there close to kick off…but I’m not the only one who ends up slithering down a grass bank to padlock the bike against a bramble infested fence

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No idea but there is room to carry on the existing racks dow to where r the ramps start for the station…..i know i get there close to kick off…but I’m not the only one who ends up slithering down a grass bank to padlock the bike against a bramble infested fence
The thread with Paul Barber’s reasons for the dismissal of this suggestion is posted further up. A reason I find difficult to understand/believe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Get some proper organised parking in the industrial estate (Bexhill Road) at Woodingdean, be clear it’s a 30 min walk so people are aware but loads of space if it was allowed to be used.
When posters are challenged with 'yeah but I don't see you coming up with any solutions'.
A stopwatch should be added to all replies so we can see exactly how long it takes for someone else to write 'thats rubbish and won't work'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When posters are challenged with 'yeah but I don't see you coming up with any solutions'.
A stopwatch should be added to all replies so we can see exactly how long it takes for someone else to write 'thats rubbish and won't work'.
Yep. Seems any solution that doesn’t involve the person being dropped, at a time of their choosing, within 100 yards of the concourse is unacceptable. I parked 25 mins walk away at Charlton last night so v similar to a home game and perfectly acceptable and normal - had similar distances to walk at most other grounds.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I did even acknowledge that upfront in my email to PB, but surely they have a voice with Southern. The villa game as an example - they were only running 4 coach services, twice an hour along the west Coastway. There’s no logical reason to that at any level.

Surely they can ask ‘why’ given they have a commercial agreement in place must be some lines of communication. Was ok for me, but the amount of fans & ordinary / less mobile travellers stranded at stations from Shoreham onwards was quite a lot.

If I was the club I’d be asking why they are paying Southern anything, as the net / net result would seemingly be the same level of service
Southern have no obligation to strengthen on that route, they have looked at it, but I’ve explained on a separate thread that making trains longer on that route isn’t possible. An incredibly short sighted decision by the department for Transport scrapping 46 units and making a complete pigs ear of the 313 removal that even some plans to strengthen on a match day on this route, there aren’t enough drivers to crew it, or stock to operate it.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern have no obligation to strengthen on that route, they have looked at it, but I’ve explained on a separate thread that making trains longer on that route isn’t possible. An incredibly short sighted decision by the department for Transport scrapping 46 units and making a complete pigs ear of the 313 removal that even some plans to strengthen on a match day on this route, there aren’t enough drivers to crew it, or stock to operate it.
Sorry but we’ve have 8 and 12 carriage trains to Portsmouth & Southampton this season so not sure why it isn’t possible on a Sunday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here