Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More rail strike (Jan) & can Amex travel sustain the affects of rail strikes long term?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I seriously doubt the club care very much. Everybody that goes by train gets to the game. And everybody that goes by train gets home again, albeit taking an absurdly long time to go a pitifully short distance. Pretty sure the private thoughts of the club run something along the lines of "You're getting free train travel you ungrateful plebs, suck it up"

(give it two minutes before the botphone starts ringing off the hook in deepest darkest Chailey)
Depressingly, I think you are spot on.

All the while the pretendances are still around 30k, what do they care ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's far more sustainable than everyone driving to the Amex and parking, sitting in traffic with the engine idling for hours.
Pretty sure that sustainability isn't a thing that crosses anybody's mind that goes to the Amex, apart from maybe a literal handful of people. All anybody wants is to get in there and get out of there with the minimum of delay and a modicum of control

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
The villa game as an example - they were only running 4 coach services, twice an hour along the west Coastway. There’s no logical reason to that at any level.

Surely they can ask ‘why’ given they have a commercial agreement in place must be some lines of communication. Was ok for me, but the amount of fans & ordinary / less mobile travellers stranded at stations from Shoreham onwards was quite a lot.

If I was the club I’d be asking why they are paying Southern anything, as the net / net result would seemingly be the same level of service
The problem is that Southern don't care. I think someone said on another thread that is costs them more money to put on a longer train. They get their money and couldn't care less if you are packed in so close you can't breathe or left behind as they have their money from the club so why should they bother putting on longer trains.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Public transport is no longer a viable option if reliability is a priority. This has been apparent for some years now. As long as there's been a stadium in Falmer.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Dont forget that one of the main reasons permission was given for the stadium in the first place was because of the travel by train plan , not in spite of it. The stadium may well not have been built at all if the travel plan was not in place
In the clubs defense they really can not be held liable for the current strikes shit show, and equally they can not be held responsible for not sorting it out- what realistically can the club do

I dont think is true that the club dont care, I think its simply the club have very few options open to them. if anyone has the solution that has escaped the clubs please post it so that the club may use the ideas

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
To be honest if mill hill P&R gets any worse ( and arse will be the clincher) that will be my straw moment.

I have tried to sell two tickets on the exchange with no takers ( spurs and Chelsea) so I will be giving it up As if it takes ages to get there and especially get back, it’s really a waste of time.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Dont forget that one of the main reasons permission was given for the stadium in the first place was because of the travel by train plan , not in spite of it. The stadium may well not have been built at all if the travel plan was not in place
In the clubs defense they really can not be held liable for the current strikes shit show, and equally they can not be held responsible for not sorting it out- what realistically can the club do

I dont think is true that the club dont care, I think its simply the club have very few options open to them. if anyone has the solution that has escaped the clubs please post it so that the club may use the ideas
As rail transport was part of the agreed stadium planning was anything tied down legally? If not why not? What did the risk analysis report commissioned by the club at outset say? Im assuming one was undertaken. If not you know where underneath all this the problem lays. Ive said all along the stadium is too overly reliant of rail transport. I simply am amazed the stadium got the go ahead without a major overhaul and upgrade to Falmer station. The station is dangerously too small for the number of fans using it on match days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The club has to replace Mithras House.
They already have a relationship with Pyecombe and Sainsbury's.

When I use MR I usually look out to an empty Southern Water (?) car park, yards from the Stadium.

It needs greater control over the traffic lights leaving the stadium.
There ought to be no through traffic for 30 mins after the final whistle.

Absolutely no pick ups even close to the stadium.
(I have no idea of the mentality of someone arranging to be collected 'at the front door', and someone else saying 'yes that shouldn't be a problem').

and yes I'm going to say it (as usual)

There's a (comparatively) good cycle path from the pier to the front door. (Don't know about arriving from the east).
The club needs to promote the shite out of that.
Get on board with e-bikes.
Film (and time) taking the staff for an ice cream one day, on bikes, they usually love that shite.
Segregate a one way path down to the bridge.
Cycling works it's needs to be seen working.

Arsenal, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Fulham, West Ham, Utd, coming up.
If anyone is expecting some kind of magic improvement, by doing the same, they are going to be disappointed.
The fixture list might as well throw palace at home in to make it the worst possible run for transport.
The club can't or won't make it work.
Public transport can't be trusted.

It's going to get a lot worse, before it ever gets a little better.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Park and Ride is different though, surely. That only exists because of the football and whether the club operate iti themselves, or contracts it out, they must be able to have some sway in the quality of that service.

Same goes for car park stewarding.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I do wonder how soon these issues would be fixed if PB had to get to the ground and back by train from say Worthing or remember to buy parking on a random Tuesday and then wait for an hour in the car park to exit or buy a ticket for an away game in good faith and wait an hour in a queue for someone to deign to give you your actual ticket or heaven forbid find you can't make a home or away game and want someone else to make use of it. So much of what the club do is great but they don't half make it bloody hard work sometimes and it's sometimes worth seeing things from a supporters point of view before making decisions.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
The club has to replace Mithras House.
They already have a relationship with Pyecombe and Sainsbury's.

When I use MR I usually look out to an empty Southern Water (?) car park, yards from the Stadium.

It needs greater control over the traffic lights leaving the stadium.
There ought to be no through traffic for 30 mins after the final whistle.

(I have no idea of the mentality of someone arranging to be collected 'at the front door', and someone else saying 'yes that shouldn't be a problem').

and yes I'm going to say it (as usual)

There's a (comparatively) good cycle path from the pier to the front door. (Don't know about arriving from the east).
The club needs to promote the shite out of that.
Get on board with e-bikes.
Film (and time) taking the staff for an ice cream one day, on bikes, they usually love that shite.
Segregate a one way path down to the bridge.
Cycling works it's needs to be seen working.

Arsenal, Liverpool, Bournemouth, Fulham, West Ham, Utd, coming up.
If anyone is expecting some kind of magic improvement, by doing the same, they are going to be disappointed.
The fixture list might as well throw palace at home in to make it the worst possible run for transport.
The club can't or won't make it work.
Public transport can't be trusted.

It's going to get a lot worse, before it ever gets a little better.
Didn’t someone else say the bike parking is pretty much full already and PB said they can’t/won’t build anymore? No point bringing an expensive e bike if it’s going to get nicked?

Also, if you’re outside of Brighton how do you get your e bike to one of these cycle paths? I have a fold up e bike and would happily shove it in the back of the car but there’s no where to leave the car, there’s no room on trains after matches (plus it’s pretty heavy) and then we get to issue of secure storage when there.

I have a similar issue working in Brighton. I used to put the fold up bike in the boot (non e bike in those days) park along Lewes road and cycle into the city. No chance these days, no where to leave the car at all thanks to the aggressive parking control (money making scheme).

Finally are we allowed to take helmets in or is it just motorbikes that have to pay for a locker?

You are right we desperately need Mithras House back. We used to regularly park these and walk in and back if the weather was nice.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Limos picking up groups of fans from homes and pubs across Sussex and beyond. Plenty of free Champagne.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are lots of reasons someone may require a close pickup. I had trouble walking for a while after covid for a couple of months and couldn't have gone to some matches were it not for the kindness of my wife dropping me off at the drop-off point at Sussex Uni. Similarly, if I worked late then occasionally she would drop me off as I would otherwise not make it nor would my brother due to his particular health reasons. These are more trivial on the grand scheme of things, but there are plenty of people with serious illnesses like cancer etc who manage to go to the match and can only do so because of arrangements like this.

I am unsure why you think people dropping off nearby is causing the kind of problems described in this thread anyway. Clamping down on local drop offs has nothing at all to do with the poor service on the trains, it would actually add to the problems if those people were added to the queues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn’t someone else say the bike parking is pretty much full already and PB said they can’t/won’t build anymore? No point bringing an expensive e bike if it’s going to get nicked?

Also, if you’re outside of Brighton how do you get your e bike to one of these cycle paths? I have a fold up e bike and would happily shove it in the back of the car but there’s no where to leave the car, there’s no room on trains after matches (plus it’s pretty heavy) and then we get to issue of secure storage when there.

I have a similar issue working in Brighton. I used to put the fold up bike in the boot (non e bike in those days) park along Lewes road and cycle into the city. No chance these days, no where to leave the car at all thanks to the aggressive parking control (money making scheme).

Finally are we allowed to take helmets in or is it just motorbikes that have to pay for a locker?

You are right we desperately need Mithras House back. We used to regularly park these and walk in and back if the weather was nice.
How is it, all of a sudden, bikes are going to be stolen from the AMEX?

I come from the furthest reaches of Best Sussex, park up close to the cycle path, for free, and ride in.
It adds about 2 miles to my MR journey and saves about 4 hours from my day.

Why wouldn't you just lock your helmet to your bike?
There are lots of reasons someone may require a close pickup. I had trouble walking for a while after covid for a couple of months and couldn't have gone to some matches were it not for the kindness of my wife dropping me off at the drop-off point at Sussex Uni. Similarly, if I worked late then occasionally she would drop me off as I would otherwise not make it nor would my brother due to his particular health reasons. These are more trivial on the grand scheme of things, but there are plenty of people with serious illnesses like cancer etc who manage to go to the match and can only do so because of arrangements like this.

I am unsure why you think people dropping off nearby is causing the kind of problems described in this thread anyway. Clamping down on local drop offs has nothing at all to do with the poor service on the trains, it would actually add to the problems if those people were added to the queues.
Is it not about the flow of traffic leaving the AMEX?
If park and ride had a green light run from the A27 to collection, the whole process would be much quicker.
As it is they're dodging red lights and cars scattered all over village way.

Doesn't the club run a shuttle from the uni to the ground for those unable to make the journey?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

The club lay on a mobility bus to take those with limited mobility from the coach park to a car park in the Uni. Less walking required than any other pick point and a lift up to the coach park. No need to pick up near the stadium. I’m guessing Stat is talking about people pulling over on the A27, in Village Way, by the entrance to The Bridge carpark, on the bridge over the A27 etc etc all of which cause knock on problems and queues/delays. Being picked up at the Uni isn’t causing them so much.

Last edited:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
How is it, all of a sudden, bikes are going to be stolen from the AMEX?

Because at the moment there is sufficient bike parking but others have said it’s almost full. Where are you leaving these bikes if say another 500/1000 people decide to cycle in. PB was quoted as saying they can’t add more space. I’m just thinking of the logistics based on what has been posted on here.
I come from the furthest reaches of Best Sussex, park up close to the cycle path, for free, and ride in.
Genuinely interested where you park as I’d really like to consider this in the spring/summer if it’s feasible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because at the moment there is sufficient bike parking but others have said it’s almost full. Where are you leaving these bikes if say another 500/1000 people decide to cycle in. PB was quoted as saying they can’t add more space. I’m just thinking of the logistics based on what has been posted on here.

Genuinely interested where you park as I’d really like to consider this in the spring/summer if it’s feasible.
Id be interested to know what the stadium capacity was when the club last maxed out it's provision for cycling.

My flabber would be truly agast were local government planning dept to turn down a request for more bicycle capacity.

and finally absolutely no chance.
I made that self same request multiple times and it fell on deaf ears.
I spent an extra 15-30 mins driving around an area of Brighton close enough to the path.
Found an ideal location and on the 2 or 3 occasions since, it's not let me down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think once a few more people have had their NYE ruined by the park and ride next week this thread might get a bit noisier
Anyone noisy before the NYE clusterf**k has very little room for movement after it.

Last time out we were blindsided by the workload of the bendy buses and the subsequent lack of buses.
There's been no noise from the club to suggest differently this time, plus it'll be 19:45 on NYE.

The only hope is it's so so bad that action is taken.
As said first thing, there isn't a non cluster fixture until Mid March, at the earliest.

It's either Big 6, London or West Coast mainline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here