Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mohammed Kudus **Signed For West Ham 27/08**

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not one top side had a sniff around this guy, seems a typical £40m West Ham middling player who turns up every sixth game.
Well we did but it seems we didn’t like the smell.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Seems he would have failed the no dick heads policy anyway.

It will be interesting to see if we bring someone in as we clearly had identified this as a position to strengthen.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
After the initial flurry of excitement when his name surfaced a few weeks ago, I must admit, I'm quite OK with him going elsewhere.

I'm enjoying our status as a polisher of gems, a club who spend relatively small amounts and put the emphasis on the team not the individual stars. It was becoming increasingly apparent that Kudus would have been on such a different plane to any of our other players, salary-wise, that it felt like a huge risk for us, especially when they started talking about him wanting a low release clause in his contract. I accept that to some extent we're a stepping stone, and I'm fine with that. It allows us to recruit players who might otherwise go elsewhere. But I'm not up for having some Mr Big-I-Am already digging his escape tunnel to Stamford Bridge before he's even stepped on the pitch. It smacks of a player who fancies himself a bit and isn't going to be 100% committed to the cause. And the notion that we're stretching the budget even at this stage of the Albion's development doesn't sit comfortably with me yet. Let's stick to what we're good at. Also, why did no top clubs come in for Kudus?

In a strange way, I think I'd worry if we started trying to match the elite in spending terms. Evolution not revolution is the way forward for us, I think. Once you pay one player a gigantic wage, others already at the club will start to want parity (or near parity) and then every other prospective signing thinks we're a money fountain too. If they don't work out, you're stuck with a massive wage bill that means you can't ship him out unless the Saudis come calling, or you take a massive hit on what you paid.

Not for me, Clive. Leave Kudus to West Ham.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
After the initial flurry of excitement when his name surfaced a few weeks ago, I must admit, I'm quite OK with him going elsewhere.

I'm enjoying our status as a polisher of gems, a club who spend relatively small amounts and put the emphasis on the team not the individual stars. It was becoming increasingly apparent that Kudus would have been on such a different plane to any of our other players, salary-wise, that it felt like a huge risk for us, especially when they started talking about him wanting a low release clause in his contract. I accept that to some extent we're a stepping stone, and I'm fine with that. It allows us to recruit players who might otherwise go elsewhere. But I'm not up for having some Mr Big-I-Am already digging his escape tunnel to Stamford Bridge before he's even stepped on the pitch. It smacks of a player who fancies himself a bit and isn't going to be 100% committed to the cause. And the notion that we're stretching the budget even at this stage of the Albion's development doesn't sit comfortably with me yet. Let's stick to what we're good at. Also, why did no top clubs come in for Kudus?

In a strange way, I think I'd worry if we started trying to match the elite in spending terms. Evolution not revolution is the way forward for us, I think. Once you pay one player a gigantic wage, others already at the club will start to want parity (or near parity) and then every other prospective signing thinks we're a money fountain too. If they don't work out, you're stuck with a massive wage bill that means you can't ship him out unless the Saudis come calling, or you take a massive hit on what you paid.

Not for me, Clive. Leave Kudus to West Ham.
Thank you. That's just what I would have said.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It seems he refused to trained a couple of times after he was dropped from the Ajax team. He also demanded a transfer a year ago.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It seems he refused to trained a couple of times after he was dropped from the Ajax team. He also demanded a transfer a year ago.
Because he acted like a dick head?

Didn't seem to down tools this summer. As far as I can see he carried on training, kept schtum and has made a few appearances this month, shooting a hat trick in Europe the other day.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't seem to down tools this summer. As far as I can see he carried on training, kept schtum and has made a few appearances this month, shooting a hat trick in Europe the other day.
Nope, he’s not all that anyway, has a bad attitude and we’ve dodged a bullet…like every signing we don’t get over the line.

Booooo!

:wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What I read was from last summer, he was trying to get a move to Everton. I’d say this is more an indication of his stupidity than downing tools!

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
I wonder if it was the centre forward Scouting Manager that we got from Everton that set the ball rolling for us on this initially?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Won’t mind one bit provided we get the Baleba deal completed.

Why out of interest ? Ones played for Ajax, just scored a hat trick in Europe this week. The other has 11 appearances or something in the French league

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here