Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mitoma interview - next year maybe.......... NEW 5YR CONTRACT SINGED ??

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I still expect him to leave next summer, sadly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Agreed, at best summer after next. This contract is about safeguarding our value and squeezing whoever comes for him for as much as possible. Just hope we haven't put a clause in to let him go for a lower figure like we apparently did for Alexis.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Mitoma and Estupinan the most likely next summer in my opinion, assuming they find their form again. A few clubs in need of quality left sided players who don't get injured all the time and these two are entering their prime years.

A few others like Ferguson will attract a lot of interest but I think we will keep hold a little longer for those whose value will continue to grow.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Great news if true. What a player he is.

I'm not as sure we will lose him as others. Mitoma is 26, he'll be 27 next summer. That means another club would need to pay a big fee to us and know that there is probably very little resale value in him as by the time his contract with a new club ends he'll be in his 30s.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If the likes of Mitoma and Estupinan are the next out the door, then RDZ won't be far behind them.

Depends what model RDZ has been briefed on and agreed? Maybe he's also incentivised in developing and selling players, whilst recruiting others and continuing our future upward progress?

Jimmy Grimble

Great news if true. What a player he is.

I'm not as sure we will lose him as others. Mitoma is 26, he'll be 27 next summer. That means another club would need to pay a big fee to us and know that there is probably very little resale value in him as by the time his contract with a new club ends he'll be in his 30s.
Agreed. I’m hoping that a Mitoma exit isn’t as certain as the Caicedo and Macallister ones were. Those two are very likely to continue improving. There’s no guarantee Mitoma will be the same player (or better) once he’s in his 30s.

He’d also need to match his output from last season to get the big boys really interested.

I’m hopeful that we’ll hang into him if he has signed a new deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Depends what model RDZ has been briefed on and agreed? Maybe he's also incentivised in developing and selling players, whilst recruiting others and continuing our future upward progress?
He's already had a mini-grizzle about the vast Caicedo-sized hole in our midfield at Villa Park, in the wake of that particular catastrophe.

I'm sure he buys into our ongoing strategy, but only to a point. If we continue to sell the Crown Jewels, leaving him with teenagers...I don't think he will be long for this parish.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ll be very pleasantly surprised if RDZ is still here next season and flat out amazed if he’s still here the following one.

Hopefully great news if true about Mitoma. An absolute joy to watch in full flow.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It would be a huge statement if we can get Mitoma to sign a contract here.

If not, we'll be in the situation where we could lose him for not much, maybe as early as January if we're out of the Europa League. If he does, I'm confident we'll fend off all but totally ridiculous offers for him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He's already had a mini-grizzle about the vast Caicedo-sized hole in our midfield at Villa Park, in the wake of that particular catastrophe.

I'm sure he buys into our ongoing strategy, but only to a point. If we continue to sell the Crown Jewels, leaving him with teenagers...I don't think he will be long for this parish.
It depends who comes IN through the door, Shirley?

Let's face it, the team is probably doing better than most people expected on the whole (it's VERY early days) without Caicedo and Ali Mac and there are a lot of positives to take, (obviously not the performance on Saturday). I think what's done us in more than the now-departed superstars is injuries to key players and the adjustment to playing in more competitions than ever before. It's a learning curve for everyone, including RDZ.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It depends who comes IN through the door, Shirley?

Let's face it, the team is probably doing better than most people expected on the whole (it's VERY early days) without Caicedo and Ali Mac and there are a lot of positives to take, (obviously not the performance on Saturday). I think what's done us in more than the now-departed superstars is injuries to key players and the adjustment to playing in more competitions than ever before. It's a learning curve for everyone, including RDZ.
Well, quite. We've replaced Caicedo with a 19 year old prospect in Baleba, who looks like he has bags of potential, but RDZ didn't feel he was ready for VP (I'm not sure Hinsh was either, but thats a debate for another thread). But thats just where we are now. We do look thin on CM options (Douha has not really convinced yet).

And I'm not really buying into this "playing in more competitions" narrative at THIS stage of the season tbh. We've played 9 games since 12th August (Villa had played 11, including 2 excursions away in Europe already albeit one only to scotchland). However, I do think we've been over-rotated, which doesn't overly help, particularly in the constant switching in GK and CB positions, albeit I appreciated Dunk has been crocked.

No panic button at this stage obvs. we've still had a cracking start.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, quite. We've replaced Caicedo with a 19 year old prospect in Baleba, who looks like he has bags of potential, but RDZ didn't feel he was ready for VP (I'm not sure Hinsh was either, but thats a debate for another thread). But thats just where we are now. We do look thin on CM options (Douha has not really convinced yet).

And I'm not really buying into this "playing in more competitions" narrative at THIS stage of the season tbh. We've played 9 games since 12th August (Villa had played 11, including 2 excursions away in Europe already albeit one only to scotchland). However, I do think we've been over-rotated, which doesn't overly help, particularly in the constant switching in GK and CB positions, albeit I appreciated Dunk has been crocked.

No panic button at this stage obvs. we've still had a cracking start.
Dahoud was 100% RDZ's personal pick. He's publicly stated that he's been trying to sign him for years.

If he starts grizzling about midfield depth when he has Dahoud on the bench because he can't trust him to do what he wants, then Bloom will rightly tell him to get in the sea!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There has to come a time when we stop selling players, otherwise I fear we will become a Southampton
I’m sure we would have gladly ignored the offers & kept some of the players we’ve sold had they not pushed for the moves. Cucurella, Trossard, Caicedo, Sanchez, and White all pushed for transfers. We risked having moody players stink up the place or down tools if they didn’t move on. The only one who seemed relaxed about staying or going was Alexis but his dad/agent pushed it through and we had no choice because of the contract clause. Not sure what the club can really do.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think he meant the squad is getting so much better, so I may be binned off as I won't get a game, but I'm just making that up so I don't know

I think he said Shohei Ohtani is his favourite Japanese pro athlete but he was posed with some Japanese NY Mets pitcher who he really didn't like but...........when in New York or Rome or even Marseilles. But I'm making that up too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here