Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Missing submersible.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would have assumed that there would have been some form of emergency beacon/transmitter/similar, should this kind of situation arise? Not saying a rescue attempt would be possible, but at least giving their location.
By the time a beacon got to the surface it could well be 2-3 miles away from the subs actual position due to ocean currents.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I get the start of a panic attack if I spend too much time thinking about what they're doing/going through. Five people sitting in a 6m long tube, 2.4 miles under the sea, with limited oxygen just waiting to either die or be rescued and there's absolutely nothing they can do about it. It's horrific.
I agree.

Nicks

If they have an EBS ( emergency breathing system) in place they can survive the 96 hours of breathing through that.
But if it has no escape hatch I've no idea how they can be rescued by a DSRV.
The only way would be to pick it up and transport it to the surface but that I think is impossible.
The UK is actually in charge of all SUBMISS alerts at the moment.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Having seen how the sub is controlled, surely all they have to do is go up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start to get infinite oxygen?
Never thought I’d see the Konami code on NSC. Well done sir.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
They more or less know where it probably is anyway (where they dropped it) but trying to precisely locate it potentially 4km down leaves a huge margin for error (any beacon on the surface wouldn’t be much additional help).
That's why several may have been useful. Seems daft to have no method of letting the surface know your approx position, on an ongoing basis. Anyway, it seems clear that they have no means of communicating anything at all, so it all looks incredibly bleak.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's why several may have been useful. Seems daft to have no method of letting the surface know your approx position, on an ongoing basis. Anyway, it seems clear that they have no means of communicating anything at all, so it all looks incredibly bleak.
The whole operation looks a bit tinpot based on the bits of film I’ve seen……

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There's literally nothing and no amount of money that would make me go in that having seen that CBS clip. I wouldn't even go 2 metres down in it.
I wouldn’t get in it if it wasn’t leaving the deck

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Get into a small metal tomb and sink yourself 4 miles deep into the ocean and wait to die. Seems a bit David Blaine.

Quite a long time to think, hmm, could I have spent all that money I am fortunate to have earnt/inherited/whatever doing something a tad more enjoyable? Bizarre. I can understand going into space but this seems utter folly.

However, I do hope they can be found alive.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I still don’t trust rollercoasters!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Attachments

• IMG_6974.png
    IMG_6974.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6975.png
    IMG_6975.png
    831.7 KB · Views: 75

Blatter

Feb 27, 2012
UPDATE
A ship with two underwater vessels capable of searching for the missing sub, has arrived at the scene.
I'm not sure how they can raise the sub though should they find it.
They won't be able to as the ROV's on the Deep Energy can only go down to 3,000m. The sub is likely on the bottom in 3,800m....................

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
They’ve gone down there because they’re voyeurs fascinated by the tragedy of the Titanic.
And now the world is fascinated by their fate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here