[News] Missing submersible.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, given that there are five human beings who could be suffocating to death as you "banter", I feel like this thread has become rather distasteful.

I don’t think there’s anyone on this board who isn’t hoping for the best outcome (everybody recovered alive and intact) but these people, in some cases worth billions, have knowingly and intentionally put themselves into the situation where they’re bolted into a small cylindrical tub controlled by an old Logitech game controller that cost about £20 new.

The disclaimer they sign apparently mentions death three times on the first page, there is no way that they weren’t aware of the high likelihood of this exact scenario occurring. I think when you make choices like that, you open yourself up to criticism. Having untold wealth doesn’t make people immune from making really stupid decisions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why not?
The whole thing says much about:
- Our relationship with the dead
- Our relationship with money and (lack of ) awareness of its limitations
- Our arrogance about nature
- How we struggle to differentiate between actual real tragedy and fiction
- The role social media plays in all this
It goes on.
Where does it end?
At the bottom of the sea

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Slight element of confusion from myself here regarding the MSM coverage early reports highlighted the loss of any signal/messages from the craft 1.5hrs into the 2.5hr dive in fact that both forms of contact method had lost simultaneously (?) add various reports as to the condition of the submersible a breaking up scenario seems feasonable,but apparently we now have these banging/knocking reports so who really knows the situation?

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slight element of confusion from myself here regarding the MSM coverage early reports highlighted the lose of any signal/messages from the craft 1.5hrs into the 2.5hr dive in fact that both forms of contact method had lost simultaneously (?)

Were there 2 completely separate methods of communication (via different pieces of equipment)?

apparently we now have these banging/knocking reports so who really knows the situation?
Where are people hearing banging/knocking? Are they suggesting that some comms are working?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Slight element of confusion from myself here regarding the MSM coverage early reports highlighted the lose of any signal/messages from the craft 1.5hrs into the 2.5hr dive in fact that both forms of contact method had lost simultaneously (?) add various reports as to the condition of the submersible a breaking up scenario seems feasonable,but apparently we now have these banging/knocking reports so who really knows the situation?
It's vital the news media keep this as headline news because it's a 'sexy' story, you can just see them scrabbling around for any new angle now matter how tenuous. Meanwhile in Ukraine, Sudan, Somalia...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Who pays for the rescue? Insurance?
I would imagine so, action first though and then going after those that are culpable.

A couple of things are a certain.
Lawyers will be rubbing their hands as we speak, snaffling up as much information as they can.
Netflix's will be commissioning writers as we sit and wonder will they survive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where are people hearing banging/knocking? Are they suggesting that some comms are working?

A Canadian search aircraft deployed a sonar listening device in the area the submersible was last known to be. It has been reported that this device detected banging sounds happening every 30 minutes or so.

This could indicate the sub is trapped, but the people are still alive and they are banging on the internal walls of the sub, to try and attract the attention of any searchers.

So, no, comms are not working.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Why not?
The whole thing says much about:
- Our relationship with the dead
- Our relationship with money and (lack of ) awareness of its limitations
- Our arrogance about nature
- How we struggle to differentiate between actual real tragedy and fiction
- The role social media plays in all this
It goes on.
Where does it end?
In a watery grave
Or for most of us, up in smoke and a box of dust

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A Canadian search aircraft deployed a sonar listening device in the area the submersible was last known to be. It has been reported that this device detected banging sounds happening every 30 minutes or so.

This could indicate the sub is trapped, but the people are still alive and they are banging on the internal walls of the sub, to try and attract the attention of any searchers.

To follow-up...

Search efforts have since been focused on the area the banging sounds were detected in, but nothing has yet been found. There's not much time left, based on oxygen depletion estimates to...

- Find the sub
- Figure out why it's trapped.
- Untrap it
- Get it to the surface and open it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Ah, thanks. I've not been reading about it, as it seems so hopeless.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

It must be truly terrifying stuck in there knowing your chances of survival are diminishing by the second. The father with his son, must be torn apart inside, I cannot imagine what they are going through, every noise they hear will be amplified, the smell, the desperation and mental health situation is just unfathomable to me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If it is banging from the vessel, worth noting the sounds could be coming from anything up to 4km (or more) away............... still a heck of a location job required, let alone recovering the tube.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Even if they locate the 'sub' soon, I'm not sure what they could do, sadly.

Its too deep, and the water pressure far too strong (several tons), to send down divers - they would be crushed by the weight of the water at that depth.

And if they sent down another sub-aquatic machine, how would it be able to raise the 'sub', assuming it is not tangled in wreckage from the Titanic.

The whole event has been harrowing to follow; I can't begin to imagine the sheer horror of being in this small vessel (no room inside even to move about) miles down on the ocean's bed, severely dehydrating, knowing that oxygen is running out, communication has been lost, and that even if you are located, the logistics of performing a rescue operation are virtually impossible.

You are basically sat there helplessly waiting to die. Absolutely horrific.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Sounds like it may be possible to recover it with help from the US Navy - if located. Unsure on the timeframe of recovery though...

The US Navy does have an ROV that can operate at that depth and used it to locate and recover a crashed fighter jet from a depth of 3,780m (12,400 feet) in the South China Sea last year.

In that case, the US military used the ROV to attach rigging around the aircraft and connect it to a lifting hook that was lowered from a crane on the rescue vessel on the surface.

Ocean recovery expert David Mearns says that if an ROV can locate the Titan then it should be able to recover it.
"A world-class ROV with twin manipulators can actually grab hold of [the Titan] or attach a lift line to it and slowly haul it to the surface," Mr Mearns adds.

Full Article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65965665

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
In 1974, the US partially retrieved a sunken Soviet submarine from a depth of 16,000 feet in the Pacific Ocean. This was a CIA operation ('Project Azorian', also known as 'The Jennifer Project'), involving the construction of a huge ship - the Glomar Explorer - and Howard Hughes providing a cover story.

While I don't hold out any hope for the poor souls on their sightseeing journey, it's technologically possible to retrieve a large object from the seabed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports