Votes: 34 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think that you will find that this kind of 'education' works well in North Korea but not in Western democrcaies.

The type of education I’m talking about is taking the time to read some books, watching some documentaries, listening to podcasts. It’s all pretty straightforward, and you don’t need to go to North Korea. I’m not saying I’m a shining light here, by the way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh offence. We can’t offend anyone can we. Offending someone is the worst thing in the world.

Jesus where does it stop? swearing offends some people. shall we ban people who chant the referee is a w****r?

If I eat a burger at my seat. It might offend a Vegan. Should I be banned?

People boo when national anthems are played. That can offend. Shall we ban them?

Time for people to grow up I think and ignore Millwall fans who have no class.

Have you got children?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know. You know that black live matters is an organisation against racism. I'm not sure someone in Bermondsey sees it that way as the word black sparks 'what about me' I explicitly said I don't think it's right but that is easy for me to say in my middle class house in middle England.

Colin Kaepernick demonstrated against police brutality and racism in America and paid for it by losing his career. He got the 49ers to a superbowl so it's something over and above talent that kept him out of work. Why do you think - pick a random footballer - Mitrovic gets down in one knee? Because he believes in the cause so much he is prepared to make a point or because he is told to by the Premier league and doesn't want to appear out of place? Of course its a gesture.

Of course it is a gesture. And what's wrong with that?

Every time I'm polite to someone I don't know, it is a gesture.

And every time a racist calls someone a ******, it is a gesture.

Gestures can become habits. Apparently if you force yourself to smile it actually makes you feel good.

I am all in favour of gestures.

There again if I break my leg I'd expect proper medical attention, not just a cheeky smile and wave. But, also, I wouldn't tell someone to bugger off if they asked me if I was OK, and maybe offered to say a little prayer for me. And I say that as an athiest.

Are you beginning to see what this is all about yet?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know. You know that black live matters is an organisation against racism (which goes without saying is a good thing). I'm not sure someone in Bermondsey sees it that way as the word black sparks 'what about me' I explicitly said I don't think it's right but that is easy for me to say in my middle class house in middle England.

Colin Kaepernick demonstrated against police brutality and racism in America and paid for it by losing his career. He got the 49ers to a superbowl so it's something over and above talent that kept him out of work. Why do you think - pick a random footballer - Mitrovic gets down on one knee? Because he believes in the cause so much he is prepared to make a point or because he is told to by the Premier league and doesn't want to appear out of place? Of course its a gesture.

The premier league haven't told anyone to do anything. It's the players who have decided they want to do it, because they believe there is a problem that needs highlighting FFS :facepalm:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12070564/premier-league-players-continue-to-take-a-knee-on-2020-21-opening-day

The Premier League previously said it will continue to give its backing to players who want to kneel before games. "We still feel strongly about taking the knee and we will carry on doing it until there's change," Brighton captain Lewis Dunk told Sky Sports News.

So are you another that thinks that Lewis and his fellow footballers shouldn't be allowed to make this gesture ?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Discrimination is abhorrent. We can all work together against climate change, but black people cannot change their skin colour or change attitudes from those who haven’t experienced it.
Players wear rainbow laces and t shirts but not one player has come out yet.
Attitudes need to change and reminders in one way or another are needed.

Agreed. The point i'm making is that there are plenty who think this, but think equally strongly about a range of other issues and wonder why only this one issue is the one that gets highlighted at football

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Have to say was very pleased to see millwall do this today .

People re fed up with the whole blm being rammed down throats and the amount of division it had created . Things are in a much worse state than they ever were before and glad millwall fans stood up and voiced their disproval .

The knee is a Token gesture And means nothing .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agreed. The point i'm making is that there are plenty who think this, but think equally strongly about a range of other issues and wonder why only this one issue is the one that gets highlighted at football

Simple. Because this is the one that Premier League footballers (no one else) have decided to highlight :shrug:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On this issue, though, they are racists. Even if they don't realise :shrug:

Just take yourself back to the 70s and all that women's lib nonsense. When I started my job in 86 it was standard for the lab tech to have her arse slapped on a daily basis. Embarrassing and shameful in today's light. But if you'd spoken up, as a man, in favour of gender equality, then, you'd have been laughed at.

Old white men, it seems, have an equivalent problem with standing up against racism today, so it seems.

Some old white men, anyway. Not you, I hope.
I have no problem with standing up against racism - I'm all in favour. There are, however, other ways of combatting racism than bowing the knee to BLM.
I'm fed up with bending the knee being part of the 'highlights' of every match. I don't really believe that forcing Jay Rodriguez to conform with the knee bending ritual will make a single step towards progress. I thought CKR was very brave, raising his arm in support of fighting racism, but refusing to bow the knee to BLM.
Gary Rowett said the Millwall players had discussed it, and decided to take the knee until the end of the year. That sounds about right and fair enough.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

People re fed up with the whole blm being rammed down throats and the amount of division it had created . Things are in a much worse state than they ever were before and glad millwall fans stood up and voiced their disproval .

Obviously not to the Premier League Footballers who are the ones that have decided to do it :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have no problem with standing up against racism - I'm all in favour. There are, however, other ways of combatting racism than bowing the knee to BLM.
I'm fed up with bending the knee being part of the 'highlights' of every match. I don't really believe that forcing Jay Rodriguez to conform with the knee bending ritual will make a single step towards progress. I thought CKR was very brave, raising his arm in support of fighting racism, but refusing to bow the knee to BLM.
Gary Rowett said the Millwall players had discussed it, and decided to take the knee until the end of the year. That sounds about right and fair enough.

Even though the Premier League footballers have said time and time again that it is their decision to take the knee to highlight racism, and the Premier League has said they will support players who want to, and our own Captain has explained and no one has any evidence to the contrary you are still convinced they are being forced by some unseen power :facepalm:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Of course it is a gesture. And what's wrong with that?

Every time I'm polite to someone I don't know, it is a gesture.

And every time a racist calls someone a ******, it is a gesture.

Gestures can become habits. Apparently if you force yourself to smile it actually makes you feel good.

I am all in favour of gestures.

There again if I break my leg I'd expect proper medical attention, not just a cheeky smile and wave. But, also, I wouldn't tell someone to bugger off if they asked me if I was OK, and maybe offered to say a little prayer for me. And I say that as an athiest.

Are you beginning to see what this is all about yet?

I think exposing yourself outside Primary schools is bad. Shall we have a gesture against that and get all uppity when Peado FC boo against it? That's about where we are.

I think CK is a hero. I think the PL knee stuff is doing as much harm as good and should be scrapped. Feel free to patronise me that I don't get it.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

As far as I’m aware the crowd weren’t forced to take the knee. The players decide to. It was there decision. By booing the crowd basically said you are wrong and we’ll be vocal about it. If you are a black millwall player you are going to be really ****ed off.
The fact that you are hacked off about the ‘ knee’ would indicate it’s not a token effort. If it were we wouldn’t be discussing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

While I agree the knee thing should go, there is a bazillion ways of expressing it in a more tasteful and constructive way than booing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports