• No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Something like this?

Person A
I think this powerful message should go on indefinitely so long as the players choose to do so willingly.

Person B
I think this has gone probably run it’s course, the message has been lost and I’d rather politics stayed out of my football escape.

Person C
I’m an actual racist.

Person A thinks Person B is a nazi
Person B thinks Person A is a marxist.
Person C wasn’t at the game and neither Person A or B has ever met them.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Something like this?

Person A
I think this powerful message should go on indefinitely so long as the players choose to do so willingly.

Person B
I think this has gone probably run it’s course, the message has been lost and I’d rather politics stayed out of my football escape.

Person C
I’m an actual racist.

If person B has that opinion, while I don't agree with it doesn't bother me, and I certainly don't think they are a nazi. Person B is perfectly able to express their opinion online etc, but just booing is fairly disrespectful in my opinion, and that's where I would have an issue because I believe a level of respect should remain. Many of my friends who I go to football with and don't really interact with on a political level have said an opinion similar to what QPR or said or don't really have an interest in politics, I perfectly respect that view point and think it should be the players choice which in every case it is. Politics is in sport and football whether people like it or not, and if they wanted to pick football as an escape from politics and aren't willing to ignore it when it does occur, they probably should have picked a different sport.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Something like this?

Person A

Person B

Person C
I’m an actual racist.

I gave you a thumbs up because you made me chuckle.

As others have said, persons A and B can happily discuss the issue. I'm an A. I think person B is wrong and is putting foward three different arguments.

Run it's course - because? Racism has gone away now so our work here is done? Racism will never go away so what's the point fighting it? None of that adds up.

Message has be lost - from what to what? The message was always 'let's be kind and treat others as human beings, and let's declare we do not support tracism'. This simple message has been reinterpreted by racists to mean 'only black lives matter' and 'this is a political plot by Trained Marxists'. So, there has been an attempt to steal the message, but it hasn't been lost at all.

Keep politics out of football? What part of 'let's treat black people well' is politics? What part of wearing a poppy and respecting the last post is politics? Either both or neither, I'd say. We never used to do that (last post) at football, but I am very glad now that we do (and I had to be won over - I eventually pulled my head out of my arse).

Unless A is a secret Trained Marxist and B a secret neo Nazi I suspect an agreed position could be reached easily. There are people posting on this thread who don't know the difference between BLM and blm. After the explanation is given, cordiality follows. Trace the thread back and you will see this in action :thumbsup:

So, yes, funny 'two ronnies plus Cleese sketch' fodder. But incorrect :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In my experience, if the media keep going on about something, half the time they are trying to make it look worse than it is :)

Even if there is inequality, if you think kneeling down is going to make a difference, you are deluded.

This is an interesting point. I read the guardian online because it's still free. Every single day there's at least 1 article about inequality, poverty or a north south divide. I'm not saying these things don't exist at all, but as an opposition supporting newspaper it's certainly in their interest to talk these issues up. You can see how some people who share guardian, huff post, thump, canary etc. articles end up thinking the UK is rife with racism and poverty.

I never said it will make a difference. I'm just not going to get my knickers in a twist that the players take the knee for 5 seconds before kick off.

The only delusion really is someone who is certain that there is equality throughout society and some minorities should be thankful because they've never had it so good.

Equality is impossible and probably not even desirable judging by the attempts of communist countries in the past. I'd rather see more emphasis on opportunity and incentive than trying to make everyone the same. We certainly need to do better at that, we are still a hugely classist society.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I gave you a thumbs up because you made me chuckle.

As others have said, persons A and B can happily discuss the issue. I'm an A. I think person B is wrong and is putting foward three different arguments.

Run it's course - because? Racism has gone away now so our work here is done? Racism will never go away so what's the point fighting it? None of that adds up.

Message has be lost - from what to what? The message was always 'let's be kind and treat others as human beings, and let's declare we do not support tracism'. This simple message has been reinterpreted by racists to mean 'only black lives matter' and 'this is a political plot by Trained Marxists'. So, there has been an attempt to steal the message, but it hasn't been lost at all.

Keep politics out of football? What part of 'let's treat black people well' is politics? What part of wearing a poppy and respecting the last post is politics? Either both or neither, I'd say. We never used to do that (last post) at football, but I am very glad now that we do (and I had to be won over - I eventually pulled my head out of my arse).

Unless A is a secret Trained Marxist and B a secret neo Nazi I suspect an agreed position could be reached easily. There are people posting on this thread who don't know the difference between BLM and blm. After the explanation is given, cordiality follows. Trace the thread back and you will see this in action :thumbsup:

So, yes, funny 'two ronnies plus Cleese sketch' fodder. But incorrect :shrug:

Assuming for one moment that your comparison is accurate it begs the question .. Would playing the last post or having a minutes silence before every game have a generally negative or positive impact on the message it was trying to get across?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Assuming for one moment that your comparison is accurate it begs the question .. Would playing the last post or having a minutes silence before every game have a generally negative or positive impact on the message it was trying to get across?

What if i agreed that this was the case and thus decided to boo it ?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Good question. The more things like this are done it soon becomes "the norm" then society starts to get bored with it and the impact it originally had gets diluted over time. Unfortunately thats what happens. The Last Post is only done once a year at football and 11/11 and the minutes silence is only done once a year officially.

The BLM has gained a lot of steam with the knee and other peaceful protests but I don't know why Kick It Out didnt jump in and say "hang on, what do you think we've been doing all these years".

I listened to Simon Jordan this morning on TalkShite and I have to say I agreed with everything he said. Idiots are getting confused with the message and the actual BLM political movement.

Football needed their own protest that was unique to them so it hits home harder. Aligning yourself with the tag line of a political movement will never end well. They need their own tag line. The fact that clubs, players and broadcasters have had to disassociate themselves and say they agree with the sentiment of BLM but not their political views to me says they chosen the wrong slogan and protest method.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Good question. The more things like this are done it soon becomes "the norm" then society starts to get bored with it and the impact it originally had gets diluted over time. Unfortunately thats what happens. The Last Post is only done once a year at football and 11/11 and the minutes silence is only done once a year officially.

The BLM has gained a lot of steam with the knee and other peaceful protests but I don't know why Kick It Out didnt jump in and say "hang on, what do you think we've been doing all these years".

I listened to Simon Jordan this morning on TalkShite and I have to say I agreed with everything he said. Idiots are getting confused with the message and the actual BLM political movement.

Football needed their own protest that was unique to them so it hits home harder. Aligning yourself with the tag line of a political movement will never end well. They need their own tag line. The fact that clubs, players and broadcasters have had to disassociate themselves and say they agree with the sentiment of BLM but not their political views to me says they chosen the wrong slogan and protest method.

The message has changed, players now have Say No To Racism on their shirts. BLM was used during the post lockdown end to last season in direct response to the George Floyd murder. As far as i can see the FA have done the correct thing.
It's the people moaning about the whole thing who are the ones connecting the protest to BLM.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Maybe they need a new gesture specific to football. The knee is a specific action in gridiron that Kaepernick did during the national anthem.

They should all do a synchronized dive, roll over 3 times then wave an imaginary red card.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The message has changed, players now have Say No To Racism on their shirts. BLM was used during the post lockdown end to last season in direct response to the George Floyd murder. As far as i can see the FA have done the correct thing.
It's the people moaning about the whole thing who are the ones connecting the protest to BLM.

Its the association that's the problem. Sky still have a banner that pops up with BLM occasionally through the game. That's the issue....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Proud of the applause! Well done all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Proud of the applause! Well done all.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Highlight of the night, fantastic support for the BLM movement. Well done to all those in attendance.

:clap2:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Have to say absolutely class to see Brighton fan applaud the knee. Glad to see the usual Facebook and Twitter idiots didn’t get their way.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Its the association that's the problem. Sky still have a banner that pops up with BLM occasionally through the game. That's the issue....

You're massively moving the goalposts here.
You're saying that the opposition comes from the fact that Sky occasionally run a banner saying Black Lives Matter? Right? That's why players should stop taking the knee?
Players should stop taking the knee, by choice, because Sky occasionally run a banner saying Black Lives Matter.

Fair play to our supporters tonight, never in doubt to be honest.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have to say absolutely class to see Brighton fan applaud the knee. Glad to see the usual Facebook and Twitter idiots didn’t get their way.

There’s quite a bit of praise for Brighton fans on Twitter tonight, calling us class.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Pleased to see Albion fans showing solidarity with the ‘blm’ sentiment and wider anti-racism movement.

This is unconnected to the fringe political organisation ‘BLM’, who don’t have wide support for many valid reasons.

While I’m not fully against everything ‘BLM’ say, they are pretty irrelevant. If they ran for election (which they won’t) they’d be finishing behind the Monster Raving Loonies and I don’t they’ve really made any in roads on actually defunding the police, I think people are getting overly wound up by a fringe political party, when it’s irrelevant to the whole sentiment of ‘blm’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here