• Yes

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • No

Votes: 299 89.8%

• Total voters

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
This thread is proof of how a tiny amount of very loud and obnoxious posters can give the impression that fringe hard and far right ideas have mass acceptance. If you look at the posts on this thread you might feel booing taking the knee has widespread support among Brighton supporters. Look at the poll however and it's quite obviously a fringe opinion, albeit rather worryingly one held by approaching 1 in 10 members of this board

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are the trained Marxists the ones who know all the words to:-

Right Here Waiting.

Asking for a friend.

One for [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION].

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I tend to agree - I’m of an age that remembers going to the cinema and standing after the main feature for the National Anthem. Over the years fewer and fewer people remained and it got to the point where the vast majority just walked out whilst the anthem was playing. This wasn’t because they were specifically wishing to insult the anthem or had republican tendencies, simply that it no longer meant anything.

The first few times I saw teams ‘take the knee’ was very poignant and made me think of the hurt racism in our society causes - now it’s just another ritual.[/
QUOTE]

Exactly.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What quantifiable objective needs to be reached before teams decide to stop taking the knee?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[tweet]1335927404842397696[/tweet]

Genius.

I had the displeasure of listening to Talksport last night during the Liverpool game - complete normalisation of putting £50 on a game. Disgraceful. People losing their shit over taking a knee for 5 seconds - unbelievable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There won’t be any booing tonight . Despite the fact more people are now aware of some of BLM’s political stance which many people will have an issue with , in Brighton we are very liberal so will give the benefit of the doubt to the bigger picture - which is the most important message for the campaign. I always thought the BLM message should have also run in tandem a campaign that looking openly within their own community as statistically young black people certainly in the UK are far more likely to be killed by other young black people than in any other scenario.

I appreciate a lot of work on this has been done by the police and other task forces but I do feel it would be better received if it was a well known black organisation that was trying to sort this issue out .

Before I get all the Guardian readers up in arms ( metaphorically speaking ) I am not saying that because this is an issue the bigger message to society of Black Lives Matter is not important of course it is , all I am suggesting is that it would probably have more power if it was a twinned approach . Would also get more sympathy from people who may think , what’s this to do with me .

There was at the last game with fans at the Amex, so not sure there won’t be any tonight.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A Millwall fan just rang LBC and claimed there was also booing at West Ham and Grimsby. I checked and he is partially correct. It was Colchester not Grimsby fans and the West Ham account is disputed. The narrative though that this is solely a Millwall issue is classic tabloid journalism that a lot seem to have fallen for. I add myself to that, until this morning.

I think the narrative is that this is a racist thing (nothing to do with Marxist organisations or any other organisation), Millwall good to form started the ball rolling, closely followed by others that thought it was a good idea to make their clubs look like scum.

There is a discussion to be had about taking the knee per se, and maybe unwittingly these racist idiots have lit the blue touch paper!

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
There was at the last game with fans at the Amex, so not sure there won’t be any tonight.

I sincerely hope not . Whilst I don’t agree with some of the politics behind BLM , ie Marxist stuff & anti Semitic stuff etc , the man key point that Black Lives Matter is very important and I would support that .

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I sincerely hope not . Whilst I don’t agree with some of the politics behind BLM , ie Marxist stuff & anti Semitic stuff etc , the man key point that Black Lives Matter is very important and I would support that .

Tottenham and Liverpool fans showed they way to go yesterday with mass applause when players took the knee and some fans also taking the knee in solidarity. I'd arhue our fanbase is much more tolerant than those two clubs so I'd be amazed if anyone booed. If they do then the club should take action against these individuals, they are simply not welcome at the Amex.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I think the focus needs to move away from Black Lives Matter to black lives matter.

A bit like being conservative with a small c or liberal with a small l... not dictated to by a capital letter.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Tottenham and Liverpool fans showed they way to go yesterday with mass applause when players took the knee and some fans also taking the knee in solidarity. I'd arhue our fanbase is much more tolerant than those two clubs so I'd be amazed if anyone booed. If they do then the club should take action against these individuals, they are simply not welcome at the Amex.

I will be one of the 2,000 tonight - looking forward to heartily applauding, and taking the knee in solidarity if space allows!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I will be one of the 2,000 tonight - looking forward to heartily applauding, and taking the knee in solidarity if space allows!

I will be applauding tonight.
I will be taking the knee in spirit.
Not a chance in hell I will be risking even ten seconds on one knee in reality.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12119884/churches-burned-black-lives-matter-protests/

FIRE & FURY Multiple churches ‘burned and vandalized’ across US as cops investigate possible links to statue protests

A NUMBER of Catholic churches have been torched and vandalized in the US as cops investigate whether this is linked to the ongoing statue protests.

Houses of worship are being burned after George Floyd's police custody death in Minneapolis on May 25, which sparked widespread outrage and anti-racism rallies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4K5vdalpU

I am not denying that the burning of Churches.

BLM is possibly/probably more extreme in the States. How many Churches have been burnt down in the UK? Some people seem to assume that just because some members of a particular group, whether it’s BLM, Remainers, Brexiteers or Pastry Cooks, act in a certain way, that everyone else associated with the group will act in exactly the same way.

Plenty of people have said BLM is racist. Some people under that banner probably are. Not all of them, though, And the movement is not intended to be racist.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Oh it’s just a hunch now. I suppose equality is fine as it is right now is just a hunch too. I don’t need to pretend anything because I’m not stating I have the answers. I could dress hunches up as definitive answers I suppose. :shrug:

In my experience, if the media keep going on about something, half the time they are trying to make it look worse than it is :)

Even if there is inequality, if you think kneeling down is going to make a difference, you are deluded.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In my experience, if the media keep going on about something, half the time they are trying to make it look worse than it is :)

Even if there is inequality, if you think kneeling down is going to make a difference, you are deluded.

I never said it will make a difference. I'm just not going to get my knickers in a twist that the players take the knee for 5 seconds before kick off.

The only delusion really is someone who is certain that there is equality throughout society and some minorities should be thankful because they've never had it so good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here