Millwall - Boxing Day 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Have to say I agree with [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] on this one. Perhaps they will find a way to run trains between Brighton and Farmer despite the rest of the line being closed like they ocassionally managed at withdrawn (Preston park) when the rest of the mainline was closed. fathom slim worked ok faith no trains too.

BBB5 didnt have 25,000 people attending it.....

Trains would cost a fortune to run as staff costs would be incredibly high as its Boxing Day, thats at a cost to Southern. Then Network Rail need to provide signalling staff and staff in case something happened to go wrong. Then theres the extra BTP officers at stations for the games. Even then you need to think about places like Worthing, Haywards Heath, Seaford, Eastbourne etc - you would be playing with a stadium which would be near half-empty. It isnt just a matter of getting to drivers to drive trains and then you get a service - its very complex.

Can see the club asking for it to be changed, they wont want a league game with a half-empty stadium, the amount of money they would lose would be a lot, even if they funded a train service (with no free rail travel) - it would still cost a lot.

A limited bus service always runs on Boxing Day anyway, but i could see this being enhanced if the match went ahead along with the Matchday Buses - same with the Seagull Travel coaches.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I get on with my neighbours very well, but if they started telling me I couldn't ask my friends round when I wanted I'd tell them to f*** off. Just because they were here first doesn't give them any right to dictate what I can and can't do, when I've paid a six-figure sum to buy my house.

Good point. Fatboy Slim didn't have any trains, plus most people wouldn't have been able to drive due to alcohol. Also, it's much easier to arrange pick-ups/drop-offs for a lunchtime football match than a music concert that finishes at 11pm on a Friday night. On that basis, how can anybody claim Millwall should be moved when Fatboy Slim was allowed to go ahead with arguably a more difficult transport set-up?

It is a good job, we did not have people with your attitude working on the campaign to get us Falmer, that is all I will say.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It won't happen. The Amex is heavily reliant on public transport. No chance of getting 25,000 in and out of the stadium safely, especially with all the extra segregation thanks to the large number of mongs in the away end.

It really doesn't matter what people think of this situation, that's just the way it is.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Trains would cost a fortune to run as staff costs would be incredibly high as its Boxing Day, thats at a cost to Southern. Then Network Rail need to provide signalling staff and staff in case something happened to go wrong. Then theres the extra BTP officers at stations for the games. Even then you need to think about places like Worthing, Haywards Heath, Seaford, Eastbourne etc - you would be playing with a stadium which would be near half-empty. It isnt just a matter of getting to drivers to drive trains and then you get a service - its very complex.

Can see the club asking for it to be changed, they wont want a league game with a half-empty stadium, the amount of money they would lose would be a lot, even if they funded a train service (with no free rail travel) - it would still cost a lot.

A limited bus service always runs on Boxing Day anyway, but i could see this being enhanced if the match went ahead along with the Matchday Buses - same with the Seagull Travel coaches.
This......if it goes ahead on Boxing day expect a gate of less than 16k

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

FBS also DID have trains before the event and the very nature of the event was that the crowd arrived over quite a long time period.

There also were trains away from the Amex, if people left early, and quite a few did. Beyond that, there was a usual full bus service, as well as the extra buses laid on to get people back to town.

I just don't see how a game can be played if there are NO trains to and from Falmer in either direction and a very limited bus service.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How much are you willing to bet that, if the match goes ahead on Dec 26th, the attendance will be less than 14,000?

It won't go ahead.

If it does, the official attendance will be c24,000 due to our new policy of counting tickets sold, not bums on seats.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
How much are you willing to bet that, if the match goes ahead on Dec 26th, the attendance will be less than 14,000?

80% of the crowd on match days come via public transport with no public transport the crowd would be massively down.
I would imagine due to the number of cars that would be expect if it goes ahead on Boxing Day the council would have a legal case to stop it due to assurances the club gave at the planning stage.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Must admit I was very surprised at a home game boxing day. I really did think that we would be playing away forever on that day because of the fact that trains play an important part.

Then when the fixtures came out they were not reversed so Millwall H on the 22/9 and A on 26/12

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

£20 to REMF if its on Boxing Day and the attendance is under 14,000 - the club have a substantial amount of STHs and fans which arent in Brighton and id only expect about 600 or so Millwall fans because of the travel problems.

TBH, i think if we started the season at Home, we wouldnt of had this problem, its mainly because we had to be put away on Pride weekend.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dunno if it will be 27/12 either (although in reality this may be the case) because that only leaves 24hrs before our next game against Watford on the 29/12

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
When I saw this on the fixtures I was excited and had completely forgotten about transport issues. Realising this I simply can't see it happening. A shame, but I very much doubt we'll ever play on Boxing Day.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£20 to REMF if its on Boxing Day and the attendance is under 14,000 - the club have a substantial amount of STHs and fans which arent in Brighton and id only expect about 600 or so Millwall fans because of the travel problems.

TBH, i think if we started the season at Home, we wouldnt of had this problem, its mainly because we had to be put away on Pride weekend.
How on earth would you be able to prove the actual crowd in attendance? The figure that is announced these days is the number of tickets sold.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
That's true, I didn't consider the fact the attendance will be announced as 24,000+ regardless of how many people actually show up.

They come via public transport because it works well and is a credit to the club and the fans. However, on Boxing Day, people would just have to accept these options are hugely limited. Let's get some perspective, it's a second division football match being played within a 15-minute walk of two of Brighton's largest residential areas. We're not hosting the Superbowl in the middle of the Amazon rainforest.

You are talking about 25,000 people with the majority coming by car trying to find parking spaces in residential streets, something the club assured the town would not happen if we build The Amex. We are talking about one day a year this is a problem and the damage we could do to the clubs reputation in the town could be massive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports