Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Millwall - Boxing Day 2012

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just open up the university car parks and park around surrounding areas and on sides of roads(not the A27)..it's a bank holiday and everything will be shut down for xmas, I don't see the problem.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Not having a boxing day game at the Amex is incredibly disappointing. One of the reasons I ask is that due to my circumstances, I have never seen Albion play on a Boxing Day. This is one of the very real chances I have to make that happen, and it looks like it will get cruelly taken from me :(

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe they could use ASDA Hollingbury car park boxing day? I think thats shut and lay on some more buses? I know the buses need to be paid for and the drivers.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Shame if it is changed but it would definitely be more practical to move it for those of us that don't live in Brighton and can't get a bus.
And the bus company only ever run a sunday service on Boxing Days anyway.

As much as I love Boxing Day games, some of you lot need to realise that there's a massive number of season ticket holders that don't live in Brighton and rely on the trains to get to and from games.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Are mainline trains actually running tho?

Im sure when we lost to Millwall 3-0 in Bas Savage last game I caught the train from LB to Brighton and getting there was via Norwood Junction or somesuch .

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Are mainline trains actually running tho?

Im sure when we lost to Millwall 3-0 in Bas Savage last game I caught the train from LB to Brighton and getting there was via Norwood Junction or somesuch .

Would be an hourly service between Victoria and Brighton stopping at main stations, half-hourly Gatwick Express and a metro service on some lines in South London.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
This was going to be my next suggestion. As you come down the Falmer Road towards The Amex there is a huge field on the right hand side with a large flat area and a gate. You can't tell me that whoever owns that would turn their nose up at 1,000 cars paying £7 each every fortnight.

You have a point. But you can't guarantee that the field will not be too wet to park on without getting your car stuck. If I owned a field near the Amex I would definitely be looking into doing that. And as Tony Meolas Loan Spell said, perhaps the club could get the Asda in Hollingbury to let people use their car park (if Asda isn't open on boxing day). You wouldn't even need buses, people could walk from there.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This was going to be my next suggestion. As you come down the Falmer Road towards The Amex there is a huge field on the right hand side with a large flat area and a gate. You can't tell me that whoever owns that would turn their nose up at 1,000 cars paying £7 each every fortnight.

Zero chance with Lewes Council Planning Committee. :lol: :lol:

Also the police would object heavily as you would have cars coming out onto a hilly road with sometimes poor visibility.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Zero chance with Lewes Council Planning Committee. :lol: :lol:

Also the police would object heavily as you would have cars coming out onto a hilly road with sometimes poor visibility.

It wouldn't involve Lewes Council, it would involve the National Park Authority, but you're right on the no chance bit!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I must admit, like another poster that I had forgot that there would be no trains on Boxing Day. So forget that I have asked for Boxing Day off, I might as well work, so that someone with a family can have the time off with their nearest and dearest.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe they could use ASDA Hollingbury car park boxing day? I think thats shut and lay on some more buses? I know the buses need to be paid for and the drivers.

ASDA is open on Boxing Day , the car park will be full with customers wanting refunds on unwanted presents and stocking up on booze for the New Years Eve party.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can't see Gus agreeing to a game on the 27th when we are at home again on saturday the 29th. Unless that game is put back to the Sunday. Then again we have a game on the 1st as well so there again not enough of a gap.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I didn't think of any of this. I must say that whilst I completely understand the reasons, I am gutted that we won't play at home on boxing day again. It used to be the game of the season for atmosphere.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if anyone's expressed a similar opinion, but I'll be really pleased if this happens purely because I hate boxing day games.

Boxing day football = crap atmosphere, pain in the arse to get to, missing other fun stuff, no sleeping off the christmas day hangover.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
How did people get the Goldstone when we had big crowds for a Boxing Day game?
I know there was more street parking, but not loads more - and there was no dedicated car parks.
What about the days before everyone had a car?

Last edited:

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
Has the club commented on this at all? It would be good to know, planning where to be at Christmas as the folks live away...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure 27th was ever mooted.

Darren was talking about shifting it back to March.

Might be the best bet that. Anyway what would all those manly Millwall fans think if all they get is the smell of fresh aftershave and Lynx deodorant on the day after we have opened our Xmas pressies.
Why, they may think us effeminate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here