Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mill Road Park & Ride. First and last time.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's simple really. Before parking restrictions at Coldean I could leave home at 1.45 and I got back home by about 5.40, plus I had the benefit of a reasonably invigorating 20 min walk each way. Now I have to leave home earlier, get home later, stand in endless queues, and no exercise.

And forget all the crap about 25,000 crowds. At the Goldstone we accommodated many more than that without any major fuss ... and we could park in all the roads between Hove Park and Dyke Road.

Not true. We lived on Shirley Drive for a while and one side of the road was coned all the way from Old Shoreham Road to the shops at Woodlands Drive. Other roads between Hove Park Road and Shirley Drive were also coned off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who said I wasn't allowed to park in Coldean. Were there any signs on the roads saying "No Parking"? I certainly didn't see any.
That's been my understanding all along, if I'm wrong I will apologise.

I'm sure someone (LB) will be able to point out the parking constraints attached to the planning application.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why should anybody want to leave a game before the end and perhaps miss a goal that decides the rsult of the game they have spent 88mins watching I can never understand that.

It's a choice isn't it? I had to be at a family event last Saturday, which meant I needed to leave early. In doing so I saved myself 30-45 minutes that I needed. What would you rather I did, just not bother going?

TBF I'd rather someone left early every week than them coming on here whining about queues.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
It's simple really. Before parking restrictions at Coldean I could leave home at 1.45 and I got back home by about 5.40, plus I had the benefit of a reasonably invigorating 20 min walk each way. Now I have to leave home earlier, get home later, stand in endless queues, and no exercise.

And forget all the crap about 25,000 crowds. At the Goldstone we accommodated many more than that without any major fuss ... and we could park in all the roads between Hove Park and Dyke Road.

And what about the residents of Coldean?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's the trouble with the British. Happy to stand in endless queues without so much as a murmur of complaint. "We're British, we LOVE queuing, it's part of our way of life". Man up. Complain! Don't just stand there like compliant fools. Do something about it!

So how have you manned up and done something about it ? Oh yeah, you've whined on an internet forum that you don't do queuing - that'll show them :facepalm:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Originally Posted by goldstone
Who said I wasn't allowed to park in Coldean. Were there any signs on the roads saying "No Parking"? I certainly didn't see any.

That's been my understanding all along, if I'm wrong I will apologise.

I'm sure someone (LB) will be able to point out the parking constraints attached to the planning application.

Rather like around Withdean, there were no legally enforceable parking restrictions. There are now. It was hoped supporters would voluntarily use the alternatives. Council employees used to count the cars parked on a matchday, then compare it as an average to an ordinary day. The club were regularly over the threshold, thus they were stung for setting up the new restrictions around Coldean and Moulsecoomb when the locals voted 'aye' to the parking scheme.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Couple of cars? They asked people not to do it and hoped they would listen, people like you did not and now it's legally restricted. You really want everything your way and damn anyone else don't you?
Geez...one would have thought people have committed a crime by parking in a perfectly legal way in Coldean.. I'm fed up with being moaned at because I parked at Coldean where there were loads of spaces.. it's all moan moan moan

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It amazes me how some people think their needs are more important than anyone elses, "I don't do queuing"? What a self important prick! With OP living in HH I would of thought train would be the 1st and most obvious choice of travel,I'd love to be able to jump on a train at Crowborough and travel to and from the Amex within the price of my match ticket. Everybody ought to be aware of the travel restrictions regarding the stadium by now and everyone should also be aware of the amount of work the club puts in to help supporters with travel. I realise that some people work or need to be home early for whatever reason sometimes but if your so desperate to get home as quickly as you can for no other reason than you want to, maybe you should consider wether you really want to be there at all!

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Geez...one would have thought people have committed a crime by parking in a perfectly legal way in Coldean.. I'm fed up with being moaned at because I parked at Coldean where there were loads of spaces.. it's all moan moan moan

Did you park there knowing the club had asked people not to and to use other services, you can see that now they have made legal restrictions, parking there previously clearly was a problem for residents?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Did you park there knowing the club had asked people not to and to use other services, you can see that now they have made legal restrictions, parking there previously clearly was a problem for residents?

Really was a problem I doubt it..I think it was driven by the few more likely and yes it's either park there and buy a season ticket or attend just the odd game.. I chose the ST route

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Personally I parked where there were loads of spaces so as far as I can tell there wasn't a problem.. from what I've read on here after the first say six months at the AMEX the inconsiderate parking at Coldean seemed to have been sorted apart from Forest Road...clearly some disagreed..my remark about moaning was tongue in cheek

Fwiw I still park there but pay someone for use of there driveway.. it's either do that or attend fewer games etc

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Why don't you get a helicopter to drop you off on the pitch and pick you up after the game after!

Really was a problem I doubt it..I think it was driven by the few more likely and yes it's either park there and buy a season ticket or attend just the odd game.. I chose the ST route

The introduction of the controlled parking zones has little to do with complaints from the residents of Coldean and Moulsecoomb. The level of on-street match-day parking in both areas put BHA in breach of the planning consents for the stadium, that is why from day 1 at the Amex, as at Withdean, the club requested that fans do not park in these areas. These breaches resulted in the club being fined and the residents subsequently consulted on the introduction of controlled parking zones, again both are outlined in the planning consents. Had the residents not voted in favour of the CPZ's then the fines would have continued. The club had to pay for the CPZ set-up costs and the annual running costs, this seems to be being financed from the increased transport element of match-day/season tickets and any parking fines that a levied.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The introduction of the controlled parking zones has little to do with complaints from the residents of Coldean and Moulsecoomb. The level of on-street match-day parking in both areas put BHA in breach of the planning consents for the stadium, that is why from day 1 at the Amex, as at Withdean, the club requested that fans do not park in these areas. These breaches resulted in the club being fined and the residents subsequently consulted on the introduction of controlled parking zones, again both are outlined in the planning consents. Had the residents not voted in favour of the CPZ's then the fines would have continued. The club had to pay for the CPZ set-up costs and the annual running costs, this seems to be being financed from the increased transport element of match-day/season tickets and any parking fines that a levied.
Tell that to Goldstone the OP, who felt the rules and requests of the club don't apply to him.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
In some ways I suppose I am lucky. I go to every home game from Reading. I see match days as a day adventure. For a Saturday games leave Reading about 10am get back home 8pm ish. For evening Games leave around 3pm get back 01:00 in the morning. 30 mins here or there does not make much difference to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here