Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Mill Road P&R Chaos

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Just listened to PB on Albion Roar. No conversation about transport but think he did say they can't do anything about transport to and from the game.

Lol. So they can't do anything about transport to and from a game, even though just a few weeks ago they helped arranged and entire transport operation for a game with no trains?

Or does he mean, they have already exceeded their travel budget so aren't going to change the existing setup on regular matchdays even though it's plainly creaking at the seams, because there's no money to be gained from it?

Hmmm

haardman

Jul 29, 2005
I've always wondered why the Mill Road P&R buses queue with all the normal traffic on the A27. Maybe one or two stewards on the slip road could halt the traffic (in the slip road) when they see a bus coming up the inside lane. This would speed up the transfers by a huge factor and even (potentially) require less buses.

Apologies if something similar has been suggested (I've been dipping in and out of this thread)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Has anybody emailed PB about points raised on here
According to an earlier contribution on this thread it "irks him" when fans complain about travel to and from the ground - so probably not!

The 2012 "Transport Strategy Review" makes interesting reading (the Executive Summary and the list of recommendations at the end in particular)

A few recommendations made for those who don't want to plough through the entire report:

The Transport Management Plan and Travel Plan need further development and resources to fully deliver a transport system to accommodate the projected growth, with a priority given to influencing behaviour in terms of travel choices

Better walking and cycling facilities need to be delivered, with proactive encouragement to achieve more ambitious targets

Increased capacity will potentially be required on the Transport Interchange and a new layout/remodelling may then be necessary to accommodate additional bus and coach

Public transport service capacity will need to be increased, with discussions with the Train Operating Company and Network Rail to secure additional capacity in the longer term required but additional local service buses should be considered first, with the Level to the Keep (or an alternative routing) shuttle buses proposal to be developed as secondary option

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to an earlier contribution on this thread it "irks him" when fans complain about travel to and from the ground - so probably not!

The 2012 "Transport Strategy Review" makes interesting reading (the Executive Summary and the list of recommendations at the end in particular)

A few recommendations made for those who don't want to plough through the entire report:

The Transport Management Plan and Travel Plan need further development and resources to fully deliver a transport system to accommodate the projected growth, with a priority given to influencing behaviour in terms of travel choices

Better walking and cycling facilities need to be delivered, with proactive encouragement to achieve more ambitious targets

Increased capacity will potentially be required on the Transport Interchange and a new layout/remodelling may then be necessary to accommodate additional bus and coach

Public transport service capacity will need to be increased, with discussions with the Train Operating Company and Network Rail to secure additional capacity in the longer term required but additional local service buses should be considered first, with the Level to the Keep (or an alternative routing) shuttle buses proposal to be developed as secondary option
Wow it's all there.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Top investigative work there, thanks. So really the transport needed to be developed more back in 2012 and still needs it now with the much bigger crowds we have.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top investigative work there, thanks. So really the transport needed to be developed more back in 2012 and still needs it now with the much bigger crowds we have.
To paraphrase still further:-

'transport needs to grow with the stadium'.

It hasn't it's shrunk.

The Deputy Chairman is 'irked' when this is pointed out and one can only assume his boss is too.

Jul 7, 2003
How much of that was relevant to the expansion that took place in the year or two after that?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Wow it's all there.
It is indeed!
A couple of things which stood out to me were the more than expected use of trains in the survey at that time and the recommendation, should bennett's field be lost, of an additional P&R site-not a loss of one!
So, to sum up, since that report was published we have increased capacity at the Amex initially with east upper etc to 30,000 then by seat squeezing etc to 33,000.
During that time we have lost:-
1 Mithras P&R
2 Bennett's Field
3 Train capacity and service generally but especially on west coastway
4 Bendy busses at mill road P&R

So it is no wonder that travel chaos, especially post-match, is now a continuous and ongoing problem!!!!
Personally i think it is worse for people coming from Worthing direction as we have to fight across Brighton if we want to get to racecourse P&R and we have the worst train service but i suppose i would think that wouldn't i!

P.S. Reading the cycle parts of the report i pictured you Stat with tears in your eyes !!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
After listening to an in depth interview with PB on Albion Roar travel was one of only subjects not talked about . I asked Albion Roar producer on a forum here why he didnt bring it up with Barber and even he didnt respond. It just seems to be a no no subject from clubs point of view. Minimum I would ask is that club recognise there is a problem.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
P.S. Reading the cycle parts of the report i pictured you Stat with tears in your eyes !!
The thing with the cycle path back into Brighton is it's actually very good, for one that's not segregated.
The red tarmac is smooth, it doesn't interfere with the bus stops (don't ask), there's a pleasant decline, vehicles respect it.
You're back into Brighton, on the prom, in no time with minimal fuss.
After listening to an in depth interview with PB on Albion Roar travel was one of only subjects not talked about . I asked Albion Roar producer on a forum here why he didnt bring it up with Barber and even he didnt respond. It just seems to be a no no subject from clubs point of view. Minimum I would ask is that club recognise there is a problem.
The club have, by and large, been right royally screwed over transport, from planning onwards.
I'm sure most of us would be sympathetic to this, if the PR heavy, image conscious, club engaged with us about it.

Sticking their fingers in their ears and Comical Ali their utterances just make it worse.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Has to be up there with one of the worse stadiums to exit from.
I would rather pay a few quid each way for a much quicker service if it could be provided. The attitude of travel seems to be well it’s free put up and shut up from the clubs perspective which isn’t entirely true it’s built into the ticket cost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here