Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Mill Road P&R Chaos

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
This peeved me off recently. Paid to park (friendly or Ladies Int) and they checked my P&R ticket which cost me £7. Bus stops at the top where a whole pile climb on with more running around the corner. Obviously saved themselves £7 by parking off site but still got a bus I'd paid for.
To be fair, the normal P&R has always encouraged 'walk ups' as part of the efficient transport scheme and giving priority to people who have driven makes no sense. But if you've had to pay on a special, then I can understand your peevedness (y) (The fact that I live 5 mins stroll from the P&R has not influenced my view on this in any way).

@Stat Brother's posts had started to convince me that an electric bike or even motorbike (a normal bike not being a starter with my knees) may prove a good option. Unfortunately @drew then put that idea to bed by pointing out the somewhat obvious mismatch between enjoying a little post match refreshment and balancing on two small pieces of rubber :facepalm:

So we are back to Sort out Mill Road P&R FFS :rant:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To hell with the Park and Ride problems, will anyone think of the complete clusterfuck getting out of the Uni car park after Sunday's game? :wink:
Tell me about it, but we’re nearly home.

872AA78C-617A-4253-A76C-370B44345D9A.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair, the normal P&R has always encouraged 'walk ups' as part of the efficient transport scheme and giving priority to people who have driven makes no sense. But if you've had to pay on a special, then I can understand your peevedness (y) (The fact that I live 5 mins stroll from the P&R has not influenced my view on this in any way).

@Stat Brother's posts had started to convince me that an electric bike or even motorbike (a normal bike not being a starter with my knees) may prove a good option. Unfortunately @drew then put that idea to bed by pointing out the somewhat obvious mismatch between enjoying a little post match refreshment and balancing on two small pieces of rubber :facepalm:

So close!

I've got a proper old couple down the road from me.
Every day they're back and forth on their folding leccy bicycles.
They once buzzed me, proper Hells Angels style - did make me :)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yeah not much more to add to the clamour but it was the usual shambles on the trains between Fishersgate, where I was lucky to get on, and Falmer. It really shouldn't take that long.

Really puts me off.
As someone else previously posted, l think the only part of the network that the club can even hope to have any influence on, is the line between Brighton, Falmer, and Lewes.

Anything else, then any complaint should be with Southern.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The loss of Mithras House and Bennett’s field have not been dealt with. I understand it must be really difficult to find parking spaces in Brighton but the losses have put extra pressure on an already near capacity system.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
S
To hell with the Park and Ride problems, will anyone think of the complete clusterfuck getting out of the Uni car park after Sunday's game? :wink:

Sunday seemed no worse than usual. Which is another way of saying it’s normally that bad these days. Stewards seeming to prioritise traffic coming up Southern Ring Road (the hill) over letting cars out of the main car park. When they do let out of the main car park the next set of stewards are giving priority to the traffic on Boiler House Hill so getting out of the car park can take ages.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The loss of Mithras House and Bennett’s field have not been dealt with. I understand it must be really difficult to find parking spaces in Brighton but the losses have put extra pressure on an already near capacity system.
I think with Mithras House we were led to believe it was a temporary measure but clearly from the development there this was never the case. One solution might be to use Pyecombe for away fans?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Club did say Mithras House would be replaced but then again they also said and got planning that stairs to coach car park would be widened.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I’d assumed Mithras House would be in use again given they’ve now finished most of the works there and have built a multi-storey car park too. Actually Brighton Uni has another multi-storey car park at its Moulescomb site as well. Presumably the Uni would want some more cash! Charge a small fee for park and ride (£5 a car) to cover costs and it’s viable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d assumed Mithras House would be in use again given they’ve now finished most of the works there and have built a multi-storey car park too. Actually Brighton Uni has another multi-storey car park at its Moulescomb site as well. Presumably the Uni would want some more cash! Charge a small fee for park and ride (£5 a car) to cover costs and it’s viable.
Isn’t it full of students BMW’s and Mercs, other than in the uni hols?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, I didn't want to mention that, but when Mithras House was functioning I often used to walk down there (I live at Fiveways) and get a P 'n' R bus. Sorry! (Never got one back, mind, used to wait for a 25). TBH I thought it was part of the deal. And the 'normal' buses to the ground were often pretty full by the time they'd got to the Vogue Gyratory, so I didn't think I was taking the piss or anything.

And as a secondary point I was disappointed to learn that more cycling can't be encouraged because of the planning limits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, I didn't want to mention that, but when Mithras House was functioning I often used to walk down there (I live at Fiveways) and get a P 'n' R bus. Sorry! (Never got one back, mind, used to wait for a 25). TBH I thought it was part of the deal. And the 'normal' buses to the ground were often pretty full by the time they'd got to the Vogue Gyratory, so I didn't think I was taking the piss or anything.

And as a secondary point I was disappointed to learn that more cycling can't be encouraged because of the planning limits.
Id be amazed if planning permission for more cycling provision was turned down.

'Can we have more bike racks and/or docking station?'
'No, use cars, buses and trains'.

Somewhat tone deaf.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
S

Sunday seemed no worse than usual. Which is another way of saying it’s normally that bad these days. Stewards seeming to prioritise traffic coming up Southern Ring Road (the hill) over letting cars out of the main car park. When they do let out of the main car park the next set of stewards are giving priority to the traffic on Boiler House Hill so getting out of the car park can take ages.
It's not letting cars out of the main car park, it to get the P&R buses off the site as quick as possible as they can get back for the next trip, that's the priority. The fact there are some cars which predominantly are the disabled ones but they are held back until 30 mins after the game.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Id be amazed if planning permission for more cycling provision was turned down.

'Can we have more bike racks and/or docking station?'
'No, use cars, buses and trains'.

Somewhat tone deaf.
Precisely. Why isn't being agitated for? You'd think some sort of campaign (Argus headline: "Cyclists demand more space at the Amex") would be hard for the club to resist - and even harder for the council to turn down. And as you've pointed out whilst not everybody can cycle if more do then it frees up space on buses and trains.

(Sorry, yet another O/T post from me. I'll stop now).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Precisely. Why isn't being agitated for? You'd think some sort of campaign (Argus headline: "Cyclists demand more space at the Amex") would be hard for the club to resist - and even harder for the council to turn down. And as you've pointed out whilst not everybody can cycle if more do then it frees up space on buses and trains.

(Sorry, yet another O/T post from me. I'll stop now).
Id be interested to know by how much the cycling capacity has increased as the stadium capacity has almost doubled.
As well as how many cycling related accidents have occurred since opening.

I'd also like to know why so many knees are unable to cope with a non impact mode of transport, but that's not really for me to ask!! :)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just listened to PB on Albion Roar. No conversation about transport but think he did say they can't do anything about transport to and from the game.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A cable car would be good from Brighton station direct to Falmer. Get Chelsea (our parent club) to pay for it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just listened to PB on Albion Roar. No conversation about transport but think he did say they can't do anything about transport to and from the game.
There are plenty of ways the club can impact traffic flow to and from the ground, they're just choosing not too as they aren't put out by the delays.

Don't turn up and we'd get a monorail, cable cars AND a waterslide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here